Disc Disaster?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bar End Bertie, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Bar End Bertie

Bar End Bertie New Member

I would be really interested to hear from anyone who, like me, has had big problems with the set up and use of the disc brakes on the Cannondale CycloCross T1000. Bought only 4 weeks ago, the brakes have either locked on (usually on a climb!) or failed. The latter option happened a few days ago and I now have damaged neck verterbrae ... am I just unlucky or are there others out there who have had trouble? :(

Tags:

2. Woofer

Woofer New Member

Don't use disc brakes myself but how did they fail?

3. Bar End Bertie

They simply failed to work. Excessive travel on STI levers and over a short period of time - no braking.

Bar End Bertie

4. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown New Member

Hydrolic or cable discs? What brand?

5. Bar End Bertie

Avid ball bearing cable discs.

6. FULLISIC

FULLISIC New Member

Ive only just brought a new bike with tektro disc brakes on them the rear brake isnt grabbing is that your problem as well?

7. Bar End Bertie

Either they grab and stay on or, presumably after just a little cable stretch, fail to grab at all. Fatal combination seems to be STI (e.g. road) levers and discs (which were developed for mountain bikes ... and levers) :(

8. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown New Member

I have hydrolic brakes that get "soft", but nothing like that. Usually bleeding them helps a lot. I'm not sure what to do with cables. What does the local shop say?

9. bmph8ter

bmph8ter New Member

So are you using the right discs with your levers (Avid Ball Bearing ROAD) or is this simply an issue of using an incorrect combination of parts (original Ball Bearing, Ball Bearing 5, or Ball Bearing 7) and having trouble? If you are indeed using the right calipers (designed for use with STI levers) then you may have a warranty issue that needs to be addressed. There could also be a problem with cable routing causing the cables to bind and either not return (brakes stay on) or not pull (brakes don't work).

Either way, a quick visit to your LBS should get it sorted. I hope you recover from your injury quickly; being hurt sucks!