Disc Jockey Bob Dumas Allegedly Advocates killing Bicycle Riders For Fun!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul Tattaglia, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you actually think that your fellow citizens will start Murdering and Physically assaulting
    > innocent people, because a morning talk radio host had a stupid laugh about the whole thing....
    > then there's some other problems we should be worrying about instead.

    Did you get a load of that episode in Rwanda? They say the radio may have had something to
    do with it.

    http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/war/2000/05/000515-rwanda1.htm

    Chalo Colina

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "Top Sirloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:27:42 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
    >

    > >AIUI, Global Warming is a fact.
    >
    > Except that balloon and satellite data show no evidence of it,

    Satellite data does show evidence of global warming. The oft-quoted part of that statement that is
    true is "in the upper atmosphere".

    For other evidence look at species distribution, glacier melting on all continents (oh... not
    Australia), etc.

    > only unreliable surface readings affected by the Urban Heat Island effect.

    An american fantasy that the rest of the world is entirely made up of starving hicks with no
    technology.

  3. W K

    W K Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    wrote:
    > >>AIUI, Global Warming is a fact.
    > >
    > >Except that balloon and satellite data show no evidence of it, only
    unreliable

    > As well, global warming (and cooling) can be detected much further back than the existence of homo
    > sapiens. It's part of the natural cycle...unless somebody thinks that human fossil fuel emissions
    > are what caused the last ice age to end.

    The effect is faster acting than that.

  4. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > only unreliable surface readings affected by the Urban Heat Island effect.
    >
    > An american fantasy that the rest of the world is entirely made up of starving hicks with no
    > technology.

    There is nothing about his statements that suggest he thinks other countries are filled with
    starving hicks. In fact, whether you use a thermometer or a laser to take temperature readings,
    taking them in the same spot as it has become urbanized will result in erroneous readings as
    urbanization increases. And it doesn't have to be all high-rise buildings. It can be a large area of
    adobe huts. It is a matter of the materials that are covering the surface. Decrease the albedo and
    increase the active thermal mass and you will get a heat island. Instead of reflecting the sunlight
    or converting it to chemical energy (like plants do), dark materials with a large thermal mass store
    the energy and release it overnight, thus keeping the area warmer, resulting in a higher starting
    termperature for the day. Many materials absorb higher-state sunlight energy and re-release it as
    thermal energy during the day, further increasing the effect.

    To demonstrate all of this to yourself, build a birdhouse with a central wall to separate the halves
    and a plexiglass front. Mount two thermometers, one in each side. Put a piece of shingle material on
    one side of the roof and paint the other side white. Now leave it outside during the day and keep
    records of the temperatures in each half of the house. Even on a mild, cloudy day, the temperatures
    can be over 20°F different. Now expand that to cover even a small city and you will get an idea of
    what is going on when someone talks about heat islands. As the urban area gets bigger, the errors in
    temperature caused by measurements inside the heat island are going to be greater.

    There has even been a study that shows how urban heat islands affect precipitation patterns downwind
    of cities: http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20020613urbanrain.html

    Urban heat islands are a fact of life whether you are talking about first world or third world
    countries. They have an affect on measurements, not matter what kind of instruments you use.

    -Buck

  5. > > > only unreliable surface readings affected by the Urban Heat Island effect.

    > > An american fantasy that the rest of the world is entirely made up of starving hicks with no
    > > technology.
    >
    > There is nothing about his statements that suggest he thinks other countries are filled with
    > starving hicks. In fact, whether you use a thermometer or a laser to take temperature readings,
    > taking them in the same spot as it has become urbanized will result in erroneous readings as
    > urbanization increases. And it doesn't have to be all high-rise buildings. It can be a large area
    > of adobe huts.

    It just occurred to me that this is a great macroscopic example of Heisenberg's uncertainty
    principle:

    To measure climate change, you build a weather station.

    Weather station is built within a reasonable distance of _some_ civilization.

    Civilization sprawls.

    Weather station is affected by heat island.

    And thus, the measurment of something changes the property being measured! Whee! Physics is Phun!

    Peter