Disc Rim Advice

milwaukeehaze

Mar 11, 2005
I am building up a new wheelset with some new Hope Pro II disc hubs and I was going to use Mavic XC717 disc rims, but I have found some of the old Mavic 317 disc rims (BRAND NEW) for half the price. I ride & race exclusively Cross Country.

I know that the 717's replaced the 317's, so were there any structural changes made to the rims for the newer 717's? I see the weight is approximately the same, so what advice can someone give me as to their opinion on which rims to go with?

Thanks!!

milwaukeehaze said:
I am building up a new wheelset with some new Hope Pro II disc hubs and I was going to use Mavic XC717 disc rims, but I have found some of the old Mavic 317 disc rims (BRAND NEW) for half the price. I ride & race exclusively Cross Country.

I know that the 717's replaced the 317's, so were there any structural changes made to the rims for the newer 717's? I see the weight is approximately the same, so what advice can someone give me as to their opinion on which rims to go with?

Thanks!!

Iuse 317's and they are pretty good. i think they are narrower than the 717's.

davebee said:
Iuse 317's and they are pretty good. i think they are narrower than the 717's.
FWIW. I'm pretty sure that MAVIC uses the last two digits in rim "names" (where applicable) to designate the bead-to-bead distance; so, the two rim models are probably the same in regard to width.