Disc road bikes - your opinion

Dumb quote by Swampy:
"If the road melted, why did everyone else not fall off and why wasn't his tire on the rim?"

Uh...Joosebo was the guy down thew hill to find the limit to that coefficient of friction thing I was telling you about earlier. You know...that tiny little dot on the ground where the rubber meets the road...to quote an old Firestone ad (IIRC).

His rim caliper brakes functioned perfectly. Grip exceeded and OMGWFBBQ! I'm in a flat spin with a compressor stall! One, two, three high-speed wiggles and jiggles and the tire gets peeled. Great glue job. It happens.

A drugged up Lance, too close for missiles, switches to guns and tries catching a drugged up Vino by eliminating a switchback.

Vino prevails and goes on to great glory for Kazakhstan. Joosebo is never the same. Lance scrogs more bimbos. The future of carbon rims is firmly cemented (did I just say that?) in the technical history of cycling as their use becomes almost popular.

"even at the Tour and Giro there's been lads that have had to stop and pull bikes out of the barriers because their TT anchors didn't work as well as their road brakes brains wrote a check that mass, momentum and the coefficient of friction couldn't cover."

No one HAS to kiss a house crash. Decisions...how do they work? Let's blame the brakes...or the breaks. Your choice.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

No one HAS to kiss a house crash. Decisions...how do they work? Let's blame the brakes...or the breaks. Your choice.
Yes, let's blame the breaks.

At least he was wearing a helment.

Weird news...

Cancellara crashed hard at 55 KPH on his TT bike yesterday.

After being bandaged up at a local drug store he rode back home with a bunch of road rash/lost hide! Hard core!

Pics are on Cycling News' website.

Now, do you suppose Spartacus picked himself up off the deck and stood there cursing his brakes/breaks???

Do you think he told the pharmacist that assisted with his bandages that he got confused and thought he was on his road bike???

Do you think he made a quick call on his iPone to Bontrager to specify disc brakes be fitted to his Hour Record bike???

Hell.

Frackin'.

No!

He got back on his carbon wheels and Swiss Stop pad equipped TT bike and probably said, "Fabian, you ******' dumbass! You didn't learn a damned thing when you over cooked that right-hander in the Olympic road race!!!".

Very realistic and practical people, those Swiss.

CAMPYBOB said:
Weird news... Cancellara crashed hard at 55 KPH on his TT bike yesterday. After being bandaged up at a local drug store he rode back home with a bunch of road rash/lost hide! Hard core! Pics are on Cycling News' website. Now, do you suppose Spartacus picked himself up off the deck and stood there cursing his brakes/breaks??? Do you think he told the pharmacist that assisted with his bandages that he got confused and thought he was on his road bike??? Do you think he made a quick call on his iPone to Bontrager to specify disc brakes be fitted to his Hour Record bike??? ......Probably correct except for one thing.He said it in Swiss or German if you prefer. :) Hell. Frackin'. No! He got back on his carbon wheels and Swiss Stop pad equipped TT bike and probably said, "Fabian, you ******' dumbass! You didn't learn a damned thing when you over cooked that right-hander in the Olympic road race!!!". Very realistic and practical people, those Swiss.

Quote by JH:
"......Probably correct except for one thing.He said it in Swiss or German if you prefer. :)"

Well, his tweet was in Engrish, but I guess that like me, he can curse in multiple languages.

Maybe Ahnuld, Jens and Fabian could get together and discuss how to abuse mere mortals in heavily German accented Engrish.

Photo of 'hydraulic' Magura rim brake from today's ITT at the Dolphin-A race somewhere in Fraunce.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/time-trial-tech-gallery-criterium-du-dauphine/309459

Hey...the Campy Delta brake lives!

So yeah, that's a Bowden cable actuated roller cam brake and not one of the available hydra versions. The photo must have been snapped just before the carbon wheel burst into flame as the glue melted and the rider died a fiery death over some embankment.

So yeah, that's a Bowden cable actuated roller cam brake and not one of the available hydra versions. The photo must have been snapped just before the carbon wheel burst into flame as the glue melted and the rider died a fiery death over some embankment.
Likely story.

Spartacus probably speaks Italian, too.
wink.png

Quote by OBC:
"Likely story."

...and I'm sticking to it!

Quote by mpre53:
"Spartacus probably speaks Italian, too."

How, in Italian, does one say, "****! I confused these aero bars and 20 CM of bar drop with my road bike!"?

Quote by OBC:
"Likely story."

...and I'm sticking to it!

Quote by mpre53:
"Spartacus probably speaks Italian, too."

How, in Italian, does one say, "****! I confused these aero bars and 20 CM of bar drop with my road bike!"?
Merda!

That wasn't a comeback. Babelfish Translator.

Now this here's a game changah!

It's hydraulic AND it's carbon!

So...it's a faster, mo' powerful way to set your carbon wheel and brakes on fire!

More importantly, it has a matching TT brake lever! Also of flammable carbon!

This practically assures us of spectacular video of crashes on long descents with bikes fully engulfed in lurid flames and pieces of flaming carbon littering the landscape. With all the burning DOT 3 or mineral spirits on the roads the pack pileups will really be worthy of an extra camera copter and maybe a drone or two.

You too can have the REVOLUTIONARY new carbon clincher that can brake ALMOST as wet as an alloy rim in the wet. http://www.zipp.com/wheels/404-firestrike----carbon-clincher/ Firestrike. Sounds an apt name for Bob. $1700 for a front wheel that finally brings carbon braking performance on a par with a $30 alloy rim. Progress! That wallet raping is on a par with CampagNOlo.

Why u so broke, brah?

Fireproof. Rain/wet proof. Lightweight. Aero.

And still you whine like a twelve year old girl about Zipp.

These are classic symptoms of Industrial Disease.

Interesting comment of rim and disk brakes of similar quality (Ultegra 7800) - and I'd hardly call Ultegra bad. Based upon the Dura Ace brakes that are some of the best in the business... "Taking my Specialized Tarmac SL4 up to 2,000m on Haleakala was a great final reminder of the familiar rim-braking technology prior to the switch to hydraulic disc brakes. In a bunch of riders, half of which were sporting discs, it soon became apart why the UCI is keen to keep the two variants separate. Following lines and braking speeds into corners saw the yellow double lines swing up a little too quickly for comfort with regular brakes. A tightening right-hander almost resulted in a spill, and as the disc-clad riders pulled up quickly for a stop sign there was a genuine sphincter-tightening moment as the callipers only just pulled me up in time." Full road test : http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/11/test-riding-the-new-shimano-disc-brakes-in-hawaii/

Makes no sense. Maybe he needs more grip strength or something so he can not squeeze the levers like a little girl. Tires are the limiting factor in cornering, not the brakes. Weight transfer is the limiting factor in braking, not the brakes.