Disc road bikes - your opinion

Quote by Swampy:
"do you remember Pros falling off their bikes like Lemmings on a regular basis?"

Why yes...yes I do! My memory still works...apparently better than your brakes.

Although this 'lemming' would break your nose with a sneer for insinuating he was a lemming...right after breaking his own...in a fall...like a lemming. He was a badger, after all. And Honey badger don't stop. Honey badger don't care.

"Sure they have more "tire" for grip but that's not the discussion here."

Uh...actually, it is. The weakest link in any bicycle braking system, be it a coaster brake, rim brake or drum/disc is where the rubber meets the road. And that 3/4 of a second we call 'reaction time'. And weight transfer.

In 42 seasons and starting out when I was young, invincible, unafraid of anything outside of a paternal lawsuit...I did some pretty wild and crazoid things on a bike. I never went to the amberlamps or hospital over not having enough woah ho power on the machine. And that's coming from a guy that raced a season on craptastic Mafac "Racer" centerpulls manufactured from France's finest sponge rubber.

In doing some pure research on braking and crashes...I think I stumbled across the cause of many mass crashes. A phenomenon that surely continues today.

Quote by Swampy:
"I've ridden more crits than I'd like to admit despite hating events that went around in circles and featured nothing interesting of note."

You know...I agree with that statement and I would have gladly paid ****** and Goering to dive bomb every crit course in the tri-state region with JU-88's...while I was on them! Just to end the grayed-out vision and blurred parking meters. I still despise the damn things, yet they are about 87% of every race held in America.

We used to call it the "United States Criterium Federation" for good reason. Second runner up was "United States Crash Fest".

But, even if it was a suicidal downhill screamer like Athens...the guy that even breathed on his brakes got curbed. Brakes? We don' neeed no steenkin' brakes!

A semi-conscious Luis Ocana being pulled along after acting like a lemming.

For purposes of comparison, an actual lemming...acting like a lemming.

Raymond would have an affair with your wife if you dared call him a lemming!

Then, both she and your dog would try following him back to Paris.

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Swampy: "[COLOR=181818]do you remember Pros falling off their bikes like Lemmings on a regular basis?"[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Why yes...yes I do! My memory still works...apparently better than your brakes.[/COLOR] Although this 'lemming' would break your nose with a sneer for insinuating he was a lemming...right after breaking his own...in a fall...like a lemming. He was a badger, after all. And Honey badger don't stop. Honey badger don't care. "[COLOR=181818]Sure they have more "tire" for grip but that's not the discussion here."[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Uh...actually, it is. The weakest link in any bicycle braking system, be it a coaster brake, rim brake or drum/disc is where the rubber meets the road. And that 3/4 of a second we call 'reaction time'. And weight transfer.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]In 42 seasons and starting out when I was young, invincible, unafraid of anything outside of a paternal lawsuit...I did some pretty wild and crazoid things on a bike. I never went to the amberlamps or hospital over not having enough woah ho power on the machine. And that's coming from a guy that raced a season on craptastic Mafac "Racer" centerpulls manufactured from France's finest sponge rubber. [/COLOR]
Nah, Hinault's eating of asphalt in St Ettienne was caused by the limp wristed guy in the Panasonic top pulling his foot out mid sprint:
I believe there was much bad blood between Hinault and Anderson afterwards. I remember Hinault crashing once when his wankpagnolo brakes didn't work at he ended up in a ravine on a mountain descent. Go rim brakes ;) Apart from that I don't recall him crashing too much. The peloton as a whole could make it around corners in the rain too - until you got the likes of Vanderaaden, Kelly and Bontempi trading elbows and punches mid sprint. It rained on a flat stage in the Giro and again riders fell off. In the second group of the break no less - ain't like they were struggling for a clear view of the road. Say it ain't so. I said the discussion wasn't about tire grip - despite the obvious fact that you need tires to grip under braking otherwise you skid and things get bit hairy... It seems to be implied around these parts that disk brakes will be incapable of stopping a bicycle effectively. Yeah right... ayeYo, Nice diatribe - but the last time I drove a 125cc kart (a rotaxmax challenge kart) I don't recall having to apply the brakes hard to make them work. Either I have the ankle flex power of Zeus or the required forces needed to actuate those brakes weren't all that large - and when you're on an autocross course in a kart it's a free for all with regards to speed but when you need to stop you need to do so in a hurry. Single pot? Screw that! MTB's have four pot systems although stoppers like the Formula RO are only two pot and will haul you to a stop damned fast. Don't recall needed vacuum assist or hand strength of 50 men to two finger operate the front brake on the old Fzr1000 either... I didn't develop bulging muscles like Popeye in my leg for rear braking Wait... A world class trails rider saying his Hope disk brakes on his Colnago have more power and modulation than rim brakes? What was that again? More POWER? http://youtu.be/wGIAuV8Qbek

CAMPYBOB said:
A semi-conscious Luis Ocana being pulled along after acting like a lemming. For purposes of comparison, an actual lemming...acting like a lemming.
That's what you get for descending fast on Wankpagnolo brakes.

Yo homes! I needs me sum mo' brake powah! Dees rim brakes ain't good enough!

Even craptastic shitmaNO brakes have enough stopping 'powah' to lock up the wheels and send a rider out of control. Fortunately, nothing of value was damaged.

0.jpg

There's enough powah in cheap ass craptastic rim brakes to stoppie any bicycle.

0.jpg

Martyn Ashton calls you a lemming.

0.jpg

Downhill...in the wet...on those carbon wheels you claim can't be stopped...stand it up!

Here comes an avalanche to finish anyone that still alive!

She's not only much better looking than you, she scoffs at your silly whining about rim brakes.

U.S. Keds, baby!

If she had brakes on her bike her Funbags might pop out - so fail on you for not getting that pic. I'm very disappointed in you Bob ol' chap.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

If she had brakes on her bike her Funbags might pop out - so fail on you for not getting that pic. I'm very disappointed in you Bob ol' chap.
She does look like the self lubricating model. That's a nice feature.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 I lost this argument long ago and refuse to admit that I'm wrong so I'm gonna post a youtube video instead.

http://youtu.be/wGIAuV8Qbek
Fixed.

CAMPYBOB said:
Yo homes! I needs me sum mo' brake powah! Dees rim brakes ain't good enough! Even craptastic shitmaNO brakes have enough stopping 'powah' to lock up the wheels and send a rider out of control. Fortunately, nothing of value was damaged. 
Maybe if the dumbass in the last video hadn't bought the "drunk on vino Friday afternoon Colnago" with all the components on the wrong side of the bicycle he would have made it around that correct. Jesus Bob , you're on a mission to bring the fail today. Spreading the fail word faster than rats could spread the Black Death in the 17th Century...

Originally Posted by swampy1970

You are the pink elephant in the room. The topic gets tricky and you move onto something else.
LOL, butthurt because I criticized the brakes on your bike. :)

It's actually a reference to your mom's genitalia but I'll never tell. :)

Cute... But not really. Dura Ace 7800 and 7900 respectively on my bikes - possibly two of the finest cable actuated calipers ever made. I'd like a ride on the Magura and SRAM hydraulic rims brakes. ... And despite having those I'd still prefer a good set of disk brakes. Past experience on a wide variety of two wheeled velocipides of the motorized and non-motorized kind lends credence to my beliefs. Have fun believing whatever flavor of the month website that you're reading. Maybe go have a quick ride on a high end mountain bike and be ready to be impressed. ;)

Ima gonna start selling hydraulic road disco brakes sets for the Seekers & True Believers!

Seekers, if you order today I'm throwing in a free set of Ginsu brake pads!

Are you getting this, camera guy?

But wait! There's more!

Seekers, if you order within the next 20 minutes, I'll also include this!

Seekers, you can end your butthurt pain RIGHT NOW!

Send $29.95 (and only five more monthly payments of $69.95) to receive your set of official CampyBob "Super Clamp" disco brakes!

Order fast 'cause there's a Seeker born every minute!

Operators are standing! Bye!

In other news, a training partner did the mtb. race at Mohican a couple weekends ago ( http://ombc.net/the-racing-series/mohican-state-park-ombc-3 ) and busted four ribs...using disco brakes on his Cannonwhale Lefty. Needed moar airbags, 6-piston pots, 330 MM rotors, ceramic pads and cross-drilled, ventilated carbon-carbon rotors. THAT might have saved him from kissing that house...er...dirt.

Back to constructive comments please without discussing parenting which has nothing to with bike components .