Disc Rotor Question

Sscarich

Guest
I replaced the Coda calipers on my F3000 with Hope Calipers and levers, but I
kept the Coda rotors. The brakes seem fine, but I'm no expert (I am a
moderately agressive cross-country rider). The local disc expert/bike shop
mechanic told me my brakes would be "much better" if I also used the Hope
rotors. He said it is because the thickness of the rotor is specific to the
brand of the caliper.

The total change-over would cost $125 - $150. What do you think? I would
particularly be interested in those who have tried the Hope brake with non-Hope
rotors and then changed over.

Thanks,

Steve Scarich

Sscarich wrote:
> I replaced the Coda calipers on my F3000 with Hope Calipers and levers, but I
> kept the Coda rotors. The brakes seem fine, but I'm no expert (I am a
> moderately agressive cross-country rider). The local disc expert/bike shop
> mechanic told me my brakes would be "much better" if I also used the Hope
> rotors. He said it is because the thickness of the rotor is specific to the
> brand of the caliper.
>
> The total change-over would cost $125 - $150. What do you think? I would
> particularly be interested in those who have tried the Hope brake with non-Hope
> rotors and then changed over.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Scarich

I'm amazed you can even use the Hopes; the Coda rotors had odd diameters
(171mm and 15x mm?). What did you do with the rotors that came with the
Hopes? When I got my front Hope O2 a few years ago I was able to order
it with a 4-bolt rotor instead of 6 at no additional charge.

unless there is a huge (like 1 mm) difference in thickness, which I doubt
very much, it's total BS.

If the pads have metal under their entire area, you're fine.

rocky

news:[email protected]...

Sscarich said:
I replaced the Coda calipers on my F3000 with Hope Calipers and levers, but I
kept the Coda rotors. The brakes seem fine, but I'm no expert (I am a
moderately agressive cross-country rider). The local disc expert/bike shop
mechanic told me my brakes would be "much better" if I also used the Hope
rotors. He said it is because the thickness of the rotor is specific to the
brand of the caliper.

The total change-over would cost $125 - $150. What do you think? I would
particularly be interested in those who have tried the Hope brake with non-Hope
rotors and then changed over.

Thanks,

Steve Scarich

Assuming you also have Coda hubs, I think you will find the bolt pattern of your Coda rotors will be incompatible with Hope, or any other brand. The Codas will be a 4 bolt mount, everything else is 6. You will likely have to change hubs to convert to another rotor.
If your pads make full contact with the part of the rotor they are meant to, and there is adequate depth clearance of the rotor in the caliper, and if they otherwise perform ok, I don't see the problem.
Dan