Disc Rotor screw size...

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric

Hi all, what size of screw should I use to mount the disc rotor on the wheel?? Should I just grab
some in homedepot or are there any specialized screw I should use? Thanks, Eric

They'll be metric. Home Depot here has as low as four mm. I'd figure they'd be four, five,
or six mm.

As for the screw _head_ I am not sure. You don't have to use hex key (socket head) screws (cap
screws) but they tend to be of better quality. If there's a recess, a cone, then you have to use a
flat head screw. I doubt there will be one.

My senior project at ODU: Google Groups, then "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
fluorescent flywheel inverter Equipped with BoBike Mini removable child seat, too!

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:24:58 GMT, "Eric" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Hi all, what size of screw should I use to mount the disc rotor on the wheel?? Should I just grab
>some in homedepot or are there any specialized screw I should use?

Mine wears M5x0.8 socket-head screws. You should check the holes in the hub for proper fit of the
threads, and for the available depth, before getting the fasteners. I have seen a disc with
countersunk holes; if yours is one, getting the screws may be an interesting exercise. Don't put a
plain-head screw in a countersunk hole. I would recommend staying away from hardware with a metric
grade marking of lower than 8.3 since this is a fairly critical application.

You might consider getting the screws from your lbs...

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
it's also possible that I'm busy.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

M5x0.8 interchanges with #10-32 from Home Depot if the thread length is not too long. But from Home
Depot, you have to find out what grade screw you are getting. Holokrome is a good brand. Black
oxide does _not_ mean a better screw. Neither does nickel or chrome for that matter. It's the steel
that's real.

Does the grade of screw really count in a brake application? Actually, with over 200 pounds of rider
and bike, decelerations like half a gee, and a 160 mm rotor diameter, I think it does.

But the screws are loaded in shear, and there are six of them.

M5 x 0.8 is the water bottle screw thread.

My senior project at ODU: Google Groups, then "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
fluorescent flywheel inverter Equipped with BoBike Mini removable child seat, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.