Disc upgrade worth it???

OHsingltrakr

Sep 29, 2003
I am considering a modest disc upgrade. Will probably buy a deore wheelset and brake combo as rest of bike is deore and lx. In your experience will discs, or at least discs in this price range, deliver a few hundred worth of increased performance over quality v-brakes and pads? Is hydraulic worth extra cost over mechanical? How do they last in general, replacement pads and rotors seem a little pricey if they frequently wear out. Your input is greatly apprecialted.

Originally posted by OHsingltrakr
I am considering a modest disc upgrade. Will probably buy a deore wheelset and brake combo as rest of bike is deore and lx. In your experience will discs, or at least discs in this price range, deliver a few hundred worth of increased performance over quality v-brakes and pads? Is hydraulic worth extra cost over mechanical? How do they last in general, replacement pads and rotors seem a little pricey if they frequently wear out. Your input is greatly apprecialted.

Is your frame and fork set up to mechanically mount the calipers and withstand the addtional torque transmitted?
Most "non-disk" bicyles were not properly set up.

Disc brakes, when properly set up, provide for significant stopping power. Wear is always a factor, but it seems that wearing out pads is a maintenance cost in either world. The disc world has a few positives not shared in the rim brake world:
1. Better braking when in wet conditions
2. Wear surfaces are much further from the ground
3. Rim replacement is not required when wear surfaces go.
Rotors aren't cheap but they are less than rims and less labor to replace

Rotors and pads last way longer than rim pads and rim surfaces. The kind of pad material and wheather conditions will determine exactly how much longer but the difference is usually quite considerable.
As far as hydraulic vs. mechanical. Even though more comlicated to set up hydro's have a better and more consistent lever feel and are less maintenance in the long run when set up properly. Mechanicals suffer the same problem as rim brakes where the brakes cables eventually get worn and dirty making the lever feel stiffer and not as smooth over time. In other words you will still need to clean, lube, and replace cables every so often.

Of course if you stack it and hit a rock or other solid object with you disk it may well bend = new disk= $

Discs can easily be straightened by hand, at least enough to finish a ride. Replacement discs are anywhere $10-$40 usually depending on brand and model. They are typically cheap to replace. That said it is extremely dificult to damage a disc given that its so close to the center of the wheel and on the inside of the fork.

Discs are definately worth every penny. Much more progressive braking, work just as well in the wet as in the dry and the pads last just as long as brake blocks. I'd go for hydraulics for virtually zero maintenance. I use Hope Minis which cost me £200 and can highly recommend them.

it is worth upgrade not only for better performance, but mainly due to the fact, that the rims are not consumed with disc brakes as they are wint v brakes. I hated that feeling.

It is only worth upgrading to hydrolic discs as good quality
v-brakes such as xtr are as powerful as mechanical discs.

Originally posted by will1988
It is only worth upgrading to hydrolic discs as good quality
v-brakes such as xtr are as powerful as mechanical discs.

Any good mech disc is more powerful and has considerably better progressiveness than XTR or any other good rim brake.

Im considering disks as well but I dont have any experience with them. I just purchased a frame that is set up to take either v-brakes or discs and Im leaning toward discs in my buildup, partially because my signiture below is mostly true! But seriously though, how hard is it to set up hydraulic discs compared to mechanical?

What do you guys recommend for a Trek 4300 Hard Tail?

It's got the set-up for the disc upgrade.

Any links on brands or such that will be good for this set up?

How much am I looking at for total cost?

Mechanical?

Hydrollic?

Thanks in advance... I'm still new to all of this.

Originally posted by LiquidOps
What do you guys recommend for a Trek 4300 Hard Tail?

It's got the set-up for the disc upgrade.

Any links on brands or such that will be good for this set up?

How much am I looking at for total cost?

Mechanical?

Hydrollic?

Thanks in advance... I'm still new to all of this.

If you are trying to do it on the cheap and still have good performance (much better than rim brakes) then check-out the Avid mechanicals. Performance has them for under $90 a wheel. You can get new Shimano LX hubs for like $50 (F & R) or so now as well. I've been very happy with my Shimano XT hydraulic discs. You can hook up a set of XT hydraulics and XT hubs for under $350. Check-out www.performancebike.com they have some decent prices right now.

K.

Originally posted by OHsingltrakr

YESS! go with the disc brakes, but i recommend getting mechanical, they are alot cheaper than hydralic, and they work almost as good. MORE STOPPING POWER WHEN ITS WET/MORE EFICIENT OVERALL/LESS MAINTENANCE!!!.

i recommend Hayes disc brakes. u can get them on ebay for around 100usd!!! its a deal!

I have mechanicals, they came fitted to the Marin Bobcat Trail. I've changed pads once, they are a little expensive but work very well. I haven't have to change cables or anything else but the pads, seems that they are easier to maintain than hydraulics. Cables are available everywhere to replace if broken don't know about hoses, then bleeding, summoning for oil on the trail, seems easier to pack spare cable than tools, hoses, oil and who knows what else! Besides price that kept me away of hydraulics.
I don't know which performs better.