Disc wheels on mountain bike?

San Remo GT

Aug 17, 2005
Any reasons for/against doing this? I is thinkin of fitting them but before I buy I might aswell get some advice here.

To be able to go faster on the downhill part. I would think a disc wheel is also stronger coz spokes are prone to snapping or bending where as a disc wheel is solid. So long as its not too much heavier I will compromise.

San Remo GT said:
To be able to go faster on the downhill part. I would think a disc wheel is also stronger coz spokes are prone to snapping or bending where as a disc wheel is solid. So long as its not too much heavier I will compromise.  
Uhm, spoked wheels are pretty damned durable. A disc will be rotten to use on a downhill course. It's way too stiff and will compromise handling to a degree, and it'll be more likely to break since it will flex oh-so very little in impacts.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Uhm, spoked wheels are pretty damned durable. A disc will be rotten to use on a downhill course. It's way too stiff and will compromise handling to a degree, and it'll be more likely to break since it will flex oh-so very little in impacts.
agreed.