Discbrakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per ElmsäTer, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. On my hybrid Gary Fisher Utopia 2001, I've noticed that my front fork has mounts for discbrakes but
    I di didn't find any similar holes on the rear seat stay. Although there were some threaded holes
    there. Does this mean I can probably only mount a disc brake on my front wheel?

    Can I mount a disc on my current hubs or do I need to buy new hubs and rebuild my wheels? I have
    Rolf Vector Hybrid wheels.

    I've been trying to google up this info but it seems that nobody else needed to ask these questions
    ;) Thanks for any replys.

    --
    Perre

  2. Per Elmsäter wrote:

    > On my hybrid Gary Fisher Utopia 2001, I've noticed that my front fork has mounts for discbrakes
    > but I di didn't find any similar holes on the rear seat stay. Although there were some threaded
    > holes there. Does this mean I can probably only mount a disc brake on my front wheel?

    Yes. Not much point putting a disc in back anyway.

    > Can I mount a disc on my current hubs or do I need to buy new hubs and rebuild my wheels? I have
    > Rolf Vector Hybrid wheels.

    You would need a disc-specific hub.

    Sheldon "Front Brake" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    | I'm only a beer teetotaller, not a champagne teetotaller. | --George Bernard Shaw |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Per Elmsäter wrote:
    >
    >> On my hybrid Gary Fisher Utopia 2001, I've noticed that my front fork has mounts for discbrakes
    >> but I di didn't find any similar holes on the rear seat stay. Although there were some threaded
    >> holes there. Does this mean I can probably only mount a disc brake on my front wheel?
    >
    > Yes. Not much point putting a disc in back anyway.

    So what do you recommend me to put in the back if get a disc in front. I expect I'd want something
    that felt similar. The reason I'm contemplating discs is because I recently dismounted my XT brakes
    and put my old ProMax brakes back on. The XT's would not stop screaming no matter what I did so now
    I'm contemplating something else, like Avid V brakes or discbrakes if I can get them on without
    rebuilding my bike.

    >> Can I mount a disc on my current hubs or do I need to buy new hubs and rebuild my wheels? I have
    >> Rolf Vector Hybrid wheels.
    >
    > You would need a disc-specific hub.

    And this would take rebuilding my wheel I suspect´.

    --
    Perre

  4. Per Elmsäter asked:

    >>>On my hybrid Gary Fisher Utopia 2001, I've noticed that my front fork has mounts for discbrakes
    >>>but I di didn't find any similar holes on the rear seat stay. Although there were some threaded
    >>>holes there. Does this mean I can probably only mount a disc brake on my front wheel?

    I replied:

    >>Yes. Not much point putting a disc in back anyway.

    Per:

    > So what do you recommend me to put in the back if get a disc in front. I expect I'd want something
    > that felt similar. The reason I'm contemplating discs is because I recently dismounted my XT
    > brakes and put my old ProMax brakes back on. The XT's would not stop screaming no matter what I
    > did so now I'm contemplating something else, like Avid V brakes or discbrakes if I can get them on
    > without rebuilding my bike.

    I'd go with a V brake, assuming your bike has upright type handlebars. There's so rarely a need to
    use the rear brake that I wouldn't care if it was noisy.

    >>>Can I mount a disc on my current hubs or do I need to buy new hubs and rebuild my wheels? I have
    >>>Rolf Vector Hybrid wheels.
    >>
    >>You would need a disc-specific hub.
    >

    > And this would take rebuilding my wheel I suspect´.

    Right.

    Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
    | If Stupidity got us into this mess, | then why can't it get us out? | -- Will Rogers |
    +-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone