Disco getting desperate

fscyclist said:
So what were your drugs of choice when racing?
Speed..... little white crosses...... But Like I have said before, I never used in actual racing because of the fear I had of them. [And my results showed.] But I know of many around me that used them. The better riders shot the cooked speed about 15 minutes before start time.
There was steroids in play at the veldrome. But I didn't have a clue about what and what type.
And this was in the 1970's......
And there was a muscle drug that deterred muscle pain mixed with speed, but that was used mainly by guys I didn't know.
But I was referring to the pro's. And if you have at least 6 friends riding cat 2 or above, at least 3 of them are using something. No matter what you want to think, they are.
Even the old guys.

wolfix said:
Speed..... little white crosses...... But Like I have said before, I never used in actual racing because of the fear I had of them. [And my results showed.] But I know of many around me that used them. The better riders shot the cooked speed about 15 minutes before start time.
There was steroids in play at the veldrome. But I didn't have a clue about what and what type.
And this was in the 1970's......
And there was a muscle drug that deterred muscle pain mixed with speed, but that was used mainly by guys I didn't know.
But I was referring to the pro's. And if you have at least 6 friends riding cat 2 or above, at least 3 of them are using something. No matter what you want to think, they are.
Even the old guys.
My question was loaded...what I was trying to get at was you can't say cycling is a completely dirty sport, then retort that you didn't use. I didn't use because it would've ruined the purpose of competing. I know a lot of others who feel the same way, and we don't ride big wheels.

I hesitate to believe 50% of the guys I raced against were using, but maybe you're right. If so, then I guess I need to think better of my results if I was competing against so many cheaters. I know of a few that I'm sure were using, but that was due to their remarkably rapid improvement and some other info. To say 50% of Cat2 or better are using seems a little much. I've never raced pro so I couldn't say, but when I was racing there wasn't much difference between a domestic pro and a Cat 1/2.

On the other hand, I know how easy it would have been to dope. In a decade of racing I never took one **** test.

limerickman said:
Fair enough.

You're probably correct in stating that the profit motive and doping go hand in hand.
Personally, I find that very disheartening.
It may sound naive but to me sport should be pure - it should be about man
pushing the limits through self sacrifice/ability/luck etc.

I know that this may all seem very "Chariots of Fire"-like.
Sport to me is something precious.
To me sport is something precious as well but I am affraid that in the professional sport money will always rule and apart from a better governing a more solid financial structure which make teams more independent from their title sponsor is necessary.

wolfix said:
Not even close to the truth. Cycling has always been dirty since the early century......Cycling has not changed at all. Historically, cycling is right there with boxing as being the dirtiest sport there is. And not just with dope. Having pre-determined winners, nationalism, and crooked race promoters have been part of this sport.
Want pure cycling????? Go to a little kids big wheel race in your city park.
My son is racing clean (and dropped me last week on one of the hills here). But yes I am affraid youre right...

I was referring to the pro peloton when discussing cycling being dirty. And I do not believe all cyclists are dirty at that level. Except maybe the contenders in the GT's...
But when the governing body of cycling never discovers doping, yet the civil authorities do, something tells me that no one really cares what is going on.

I wasn't clear in my post either. When I say 50% I meant of the top 10 riders in a bigger event. And not every race. The small town crits probably do not see much of it.
Several years ago I went to a nationally recognized crit. I knew a few of the "old guys" in the old guy race. I can't say they were using then, but they sure used in the past. And these guys were the "old guys". And podium finishers.
About 10 years ago my daughter showed some promise as a late teenager. She was invited to Colorado to train and ride with a great group of women.
One of my teamates and close friend from the 70's worked out there and had a real feel for the cycling scene. We discussed this doping thing. He didn't know about the womens action, but doping was alive in Colorado even with riders who only competed on training rides......
What???
I'm sure these riders are not doing the blood boosting and other types we hear of in the pro peloton.

But the sport of cycling being historically dirty as far as the pro peloton, doping is just a small issue. When you read of cyclings history, it is a series of scandals. The riders were pawns. Just like today. Except they are being paid today.

whiteboytrash said:
Bruyneel is still *****ing about losing Basso and getting ambushed on it.... suffer in your jocks Johan.... serves you right for having an ugly wife....
But... did you see the AIGCP solving a problem in the past years?

There is a report out today that says that a small number of 11 year olds in France are using PEDs and the number rises among 15year olds. Similar reports to this in conjunction with what I have been told by late teenagers convinces me that the problem is insidious and potentially huge. My fear is that FF got it completely wrong and that this type of drug useage is even more widespread than he claimed.
wolfix said:
I wasn't clear in my post either. When I say 50% I meant of the top 10 riders in a bigger event. And not every race. The small town crits probably do not see much of it.

Several years ago I went to a nationally recognized crit. I knew a few of the "old guys" in the old guy race. I can't say they were using then, but they sure used in the past. And these guys were the "old guys". And podium finishers.
About 10 years ago my daughter showed some promise as a late teenager. She was invited to Colorado to train and ride with a great group of women.
One of my teamates and close friend from the 70's worked out there and had a real feel for the cycling scene. We discussed this doping thing. He didn't know about the womens action, but doping was alive in Colorado even with riders who only competed on training rides......
What???
I'm sure these riders are not doing the blood boosting and other types we hear of in the pro peloton.

But the sport of cycling being historically dirty as far as the pro peloton, doping is just a small issue. When you read of cyclings history, it is a series of scandals. The riders were pawns. Just like today. Except they are being paid today.

cyclingheroes said:
But... did you see the AIGCP solving a problem in the past years?
Yes last year they agreed they wouldn't hire OP riders...... that was working until DC hired Basso....... of course DC knew he had doped and now they have egg on their face Bruyneel is looking for someone to blame.... you can't buy the Tour and Bruyneel has to get used to the fact that he's not relevant anymore... (oh but lets wait for his self motivation book !)

whiteboytrash said:
Yes last year they agreed they wouldn't hire OP riders...... that was working until DC hired Basso....... of course DC knew he had doped and now they have egg on their face Bruyneel is looking for someone to blame.... you can't buy the Tour and Bruyneel has to get used to the fact that he's not relevant anymore... (oh but lets wait for his self motivation book !)
Here's an excert from the tome:

"This morning I woke up, took one look at my ugly wife and leapt from my bed in shock! What kind of man are you? I asked myself. I went to the bathroom and looked into my own eyes (just as I had done with Basso) and there it was revealed - I am the most important D.S. that ever existed, and I never doped nor did any of my riders. So you see, you too can delude, er, I mean motivate yourself without resorting to illegal drugs."

whiteboytrash said:
Valverde, Caruso, Zaballa & many others were hired before Disco signed Basso.

cyclingheroes said:
Valverde, Caruso, Zaballa & many others were hired before Disco signed Basso.
No Valverde already had a job and is still with he's same employers. Caruso submitted his DNA to Lampre without question & Zaballa is hardly the big fish Basso was..... I mean Basso has won a Giro and finished 2nd in the Tour..... of course they had to rule on him before the minnows......

whiteboytrash said:
& Zaballa is hardly the big fish Basso was.....
Oh ethical means big fishes should not get a contract but smaller fishes should be signed.... Ah yes. And if a rider already has a team (VALV) its ethical that he can continue riding and others don't.. By the way. Zaballa came from Saunier and moved to Caisse (the team which is much more ethical than others ???).

Thanks for explaining.

Maybe you should look for a job in the cycling business, they have a lot of people who think like that.

Edit: I forgot to tell that TM was about to sign VALV.

cyclingheroes said:
Oh ethical means big fishes should not get a contract but smaller fishes should be signed.... Ah yes. And if a rider already has a team (VALV) its ethical that he can continue riding and others don't.. By the way. Zaballa came from Saunier and moved to Caisse (the team which is much more ethical than others ???).

Thanks for explaining.

Maybe you should look for a job in the cycling business, they have a lot of people who think like that.

Hang on ?????!!!!! You're website is the one carrying interviews with Mancebo and Seville ! If you think I should look for a job in cycling then you should get out of it..... ! :rolleyes:

whiteboytrash said:
Hang on ?????!!!!! You're website is the one carrying interviews with Mancebo and Seville ! If you think I should look for a job in cycling then you should get out of it..... ! :rolleyes:
WBT: His name is Sevilla.

Rolfrae said:
Did you ask them any questions about doping when you interviewed them?
I didn't do the interview myself. In the interview there is no talk about doping. If you read my book (at the end of the year), you will get the picture.