Discolored cookware

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mark Shaw, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    What's the best way to clean and recondition stainless-steel
    cookware that's become discolored with use?

    What about aluminum? (Not anodized; I'm talking about restaurant-
    quality saute pans and the like.)

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
    "There must be security for all, or no one is secure. This does not mean

    Tags:

  2. On Sun 26 Feb 2006 10:24:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark Shaw?

    > What's the best way to clean and recondition stainless-steel
    > cookware that's become discolored with use?
    >
    > What about aluminum? (Not anodized; I'm talking about restaurant-
    > quality saute pans and the like.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    I use Cameo Aluminum & Stainless Steel Cleaner on both. It works a treat.
    Many supermarkets carry it.

    http://tinyurl.com/q8xwu

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. Yogi Gupta

    Yogi Gupta Guest

    Aluminum gets discolored because of exposure to Alkali. You need Acids
    to clean Aluminum. You may use Vinegar, Cream of Tartar etcetera.
    The Stainless steel gets pitted with Acids and Chlorides. Ammonia, and
    Baking soda do a good job.
    Yogi
    www.IndiaCurry.com

  4. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What's the best way to clean and recondition stainless-steel
    > cookware that's become discolored with use?
    >
    > What about aluminum? (Not anodized; I'm talking about restaurant-
    > quality saute pans and the like.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Two products from the supermarket: Bon Ami and Barkeeper's Friend. They're
    basically just mild abrasives. BA is finer, BF is more coarse. If you have a
    choice, use Bon Ami, if only because a container of the stuff lasts longer.
    Either product will leave sort of a film after rinsing, so follow with your
    normal sponge & dish soap routine.