discomfort on the left side of chest

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Shehzad, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Shehzad

    Shehzad Guest

    Hello all:

    I have this situation where I feel discomfort, pressure/burning sensation on my left side of chest
    sometimes.

    It often happens if I am stressed for a day or two. I feel this discomfort sometimes close to left
    under arms.

    I feel better if I press/squeeze the part with discomfort.. I also feel little shortness of breath.

    I dont know if it is acid influx or gas or anything more.

    Feeling this discomfor makes me more stressful.

    Any ideas what I am experiencing? I just wanted to get some ideas before I head to doctor.

    thanks in advance.
     
    Tags:


  2. Shehzad wrote:

    > Hello all:
    >
    > I have this situation where I feel discomfort, pressure/burning sensation on my left side of chest
    > sometimes.
    >
    > It often happens if I am stressed for a day or two. I feel this discomfort sometimes close to left
    > under arms.
    >
    > I feel better if I press/squeeze the part with discomfort.. I also feel little shortness
    > of breath.
    >
    > I dont know if it is acid influx or gas or anything more.
    >
    > Feeling this discomfor makes me more stressful.
    >
    > Any ideas what I am experiencing?

    It sounds atypical for angina so we would call it atypical chest pain. However, even atypical chest
    pains can have their origins from the heart. What risk factors or history do you have that would
    lead folks to suspect that you have heart disease?

    > I just wanted to get some ideas before I head to doctor.
    >

    Seeing your doctor is the best idea.

    >
    > thanks in advance.

    You are welcome.

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com
     
  3. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Shehzad writes:

    > I have this situation where I feel discomfort, pressure/burning sensation on my left side of chest
    > sometimes.
    >
    > It often happens if I am stressed for a day or two. I feel this discomfort sometimes close to left
    > under arms.
    >
    > I feel better if I press/squeeze the part with discomfort.. I also feel little shortness
    > of breath.
    >
    > I dont know if it is acid influx or gas or anything more.
    >
    > Feeling this discomfor makes me more stressful.
    >
    > Any ideas what I am experiencing? I just wanted to get some ideas before I head to doctor.

    Cardiovascular first, especially if you are older; or GI trace problems (ulcers, etc.). Heart
    attacks produce a crushing sensation, not a burning, but pain radiating to the left arm is
    consistent with some CV problems. Shortness of breath could be simple anxiety.

    Report back when your doctor figures out what it is.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
     
  4. Owen Lowe

    Owen Lowe Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mxsmanic <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Heart attacks produce a crushing sensation, not a burning

    Hate to disagree, but in my case (practically 100% blockage of right coronary artery) the only
    symptoms I had was a burning sensation at the base of my throat and an achiness in my left arm. No
    shortness of breath or sweating - just a slight case of dizziness.

    For years I was on the lookout for the crushing sensation and put off seeking medical advice for my
    symptoms for a couple weeks since I'd not read about any burning symptoms - since the incident
    (angiogram, plasty and stent) I've read just a few sources that cite the burning. I've told all
    relatives and friends to also be aware that it doesn't have to feel like the proverbial elephant
    sitting on your chest.
     
  5. Owen Lowe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Mxsmanic <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Heart attacks produce a crushing sensation, not a burning
    >
    > Hate to disagree, but in my case (practically 100% blockage of right coronary artery) the only
    > symptoms I had was a burning sensation at the base of my throat and an achiness in my left arm. No
    > shortness of breath or sweating - just a slight case of dizziness.
    >
    > For years I was on the lookout for the crushing sensation and put off seeking medical advice for
    > my symptoms for a couple weeks since I'd not read about any burning symptoms - since the incident
    > (angiogram, plasty and stent) I've read just a few sources that cite the burning. I've told all
    > relatives and friends to also be aware that it doesn't have to feel like the proverbial elephant
    > sitting on your chest.

    You are correct, Owen. This is the problem with "referred" pain and keeps us adult cardiologists
    busy evaluating all forms of chest, neck, shoulder, arm discomfort. Some folks (about 25%) will have
    only fatigue and shortness of breath.

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/
     
  6. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Owen Lowe writes:

    > Hate to disagree, but in my case (practically 100% blockage of right coronary artery) the only
    > symptoms I had was a burning sensation at the base of my throat and an achiness in my left arm. No
    > shortness of breath or sweating - just a slight case of dizziness.

    Mild MI can be nearly asymptomatic, but the classic heart attack does produce the crushing sensation
    (i.e., it is the most common perception).

    My elderly aunt had two heart attacks and never knew it until later exams showed clear evidence
    of old MIs.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
     
  7. Gs

    Gs Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mxsmanic <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Shehzad writes:
    >
    >> I have this situation where I feel discomfort, pressure/burning sensation on my left side of
    >> chest sometimes.
    >>
    >> It often happens if I am stressed for a day or two. I feel this discomfort sometimes close to
    >> left under arms.
    >>
    >> I feel better if I press/squeeze the part with discomfort.. I also feel little shortness of
    >> breath.
    >>
    >> I dont know if it is acid influx or gas or anything more.
    >>
    >> Feeling this discomfor makes me more stressful.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what I am experiencing? I just wanted to get some ideas before I head to doctor.
    >
    >Cardiovascular first, especially if you are older; or GI trace problems (ulcers, etc.). Heart
    >attacks produce a crushing sensation, not a burning, but pain radiating to the left arm is
    >consistent with some CV problems. Shortness of breath could be simple anxiety.
    >
    Not all heart attacks produce this crushing sensation. I had a MI in June 1989. It never was a
    crushing sensation at all. It was a burning pain in my left center chest. The second was in May 1998
    and it was a burning pain in my "right" side. I've been having some problems lately and they are a
    burning pain in my right upper chest and right side of my neck. From what cardiologists told me
    there is no exact thing a heart attach feels like. It can be right side, left side, center chest,
    right arm, left arm. Most anywhere.
     
  8. mcsenora

    mcsenora New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello I also have been having discomfort on my left side of chest it feels like pressure ,burning and it doesnt go away. I noticed it more when im working out and just 2 days ago i started feeling like a sharp pain on my left arm at the area of my bicep this pain comes and goes.
     
  9. limerickman

    limerickman Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2004
    Messages:
    16,130
    Likes Received:
    115
    Go to your doctor. If it is a problem he will sort it out for you.
    If it isn't a problem, you'll at least have peace of mind.
     
  10. Mark George

    Mark George New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    2
    If you feel any repeated discomfort in your chest or arms, get to a doctor! 50% of all heart attacks happen in the first 3-4 hours of chest pain. Athletes may have collateral arteries that have grown around blockages due to vigorous exercise over time. My Dr. didnt know this and by the time I felt any chest pain I needed bypass surgery. Up to that point I passed stress tests with flying colors. Listen to your body, see a cardiologist if you have reoccurring chest pain.
     
Loading...