Discounting older models

kokomo61

Oct 19, 2006
How much of a discount should you expect from a change over in model years (07 vs 06?) What about an '05? The reason I ask - I'm looking for a road bike in the $1K range. I'm open to brands, but the components should be Shimano 105 or better. Here are some I'm looking at:

Trek 1500
Giant OCR 1
Felt F85

If I go up to the $13-1400 range, I can start looking at:

Cannondale Synapse Alloy 2
Trek Pilot 2.1
Trek 2100

But....I'd like to keep it around $1K, if possible. There is an '05 Specialized Roubaix triple (don't know which model, but it's 105 or better) for 1150 at a nearby LBS. Is that a really good deal, or should there be a better price for an '05?

Depends on whether there's a special or not? Often LBS would mark down models they want to clear and you'll get the best price then. Also, shop around and compare with other shops and you'll get a better picture of the true margin. Some sales people are pure sale.

Different dealers have different standards for discounting older models. Sometimes it depends on how long the bike has been in inventory, the condition of the bike, or hw desperate the dealer is in trying to sell it. Best bet is to check around. Dealers are also more likely to haggle on price with an older model to move it out of inventory.

It also depends on how much change there is from one modle year to the other. Sometimes, the change is nothing more than a different paint scheme, so I would not expect much of a discount. Other times, the components on the new model have been downgraded to maintain a similar price point, in which case I would not expect much of a discount. If the new model has upgraded components or other significant change, then I would expect a significant discount on the older model.

It can also depend on how much old stock the store has on hand. If they have only a few old models, the discount is usually less than if they have many old models.

What about the service? You might be able to bust someone down maybe another $50 bucks but are you establishing a good relationship with your shop? Long term going with a shop that provides good service at the right price will save you money.

kokomo61 said:
How much of a discount should you expect from a change over in model years (07 vs 06?) What about an '05? The reason I ask - I'm looking for a road bike in the $1K range. I'm open to brands, but the components should be Shimano 105 or better. Here are some I'm looking at:

Trek 1500
Giant OCR 1
Felt F85

If I go up to the $13-1400 range, I can start looking at:

Cannondale Synapse Alloy 2
Trek Pilot 2.1
Trek 2100

But....I'd like to keep it around $1K, if possible. There is an '05 Specialized Roubaix triple (don't know which model, but it's 105 or better) for 1150 at a nearby LBS. Is that a really good deal, or should there be a better price for an '05?

cyclepromo said:
What about the service? You might be able to bust someone down maybe another $50 bucks but are you establishing a good relationship with your shop? Long term going with a shop that provides good service at the right price will save you money.
Good point. I'm not looking to skim the last bit of profit from the LBS - they need to make money to stay in business. I'm trying to stay close to home for lots of reasons, service being the primary one. Same goes for 'real' bike shop vs. multi-sport, and 100% local vs. chain, if possible. The reason I asked was that I thought that the Roubaix was out of my budget, so I didn't ride it.

I DID get to ride an '06 on Saturday, though. I rode a Giant OCR 1 (which was a great bike, and very responsive). The '06 Roubaix was discounted to $1162, which starts to get closer to my price range. I wasn't as impressed with the Roubaix, though. It didn't shift as smoothly as the OCR1, and seemed 'slower.' That could be the difference in geometry, though.

I also rode 2 Performance Bike Shop house brands (Tirreno Razza 3.0 and Scattante 650). Razza was 105 drivetrain and brifters, and the Scattante was a 105/Ultegra mix. The Razza didn't feel well-assembled at all, and just felt 'small.' That's the best I can describe it. The Scattante was a very nice bike, and rode great....but I also rode a Fuji Roubaix RC - at $1170, it was about the same price as the Specialized (the names are just a coincidence - they're two very different bikes). It was a MUCH better bike than the PBS ones, and much lighter than the Spec and the Giant. The Giant was close to 22 lbs....and the Fuji was....17.4.

Only downside? It's a double. Now I have to decide if a triple is a requirement, or if the double will do....