Discounts realistically available

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian G Batten, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense, but
    it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.

    On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to pay
    for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even (at a
    push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a shop? Their
    margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for movement less.

    Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?

    ian

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    : money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?

    FWIW:

    The margins on new bikes are very small. Most LBSs won't give much (if any) discount on them. They
    should be happy however to let you swap parts out for others of the same value (choose cassette,
    crank length etc) which can be very useful.

    On parts/clothes/repairs many shops will give 10% to local clubs/ favoured customers.

    One LBS round here gives out stamps - one stamp per £5 spent, X stamps
    = £5 off. I can't remember the exact numbers but it works out as about
    5% off ISTR.

    So, I'd say - don't go for a discount on the bike itself, but get it setup exactly how you want.
    Then try for 5-10% off the rest.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    > but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    > advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >

    > Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    > money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?

    Go to the LBS and show them the offer you can get off the internet, and ask them if they
    can match it.

    That will give you an idea of how amenable they are to negotiation, and also a good insight to the
    sort of people they are in general. If they just tell you to go forth and multiply, then you know
    not to take any business (of any size) their way. If they're prepared to try to cut a deal with you,
    you'll know if they're worth talking to in future; and even if they can't beat the on-line price,
    you can then talk to them about having the bike setup and serviced at their shop. If they can get
    close to the price, be prepared to talk small stuff such as lights, carriers, locks etc to make up
    the difference - hopefully you end up with a deal you're both happy with.

    If you negotiate well, there should be two winners!

    HTH,

    Pete.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    : money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?

    One thing that has just occured to me. If you aren't happy setting up the bike yourself, then you
    really, really want to buy it from a LBS.

    Any good bike shop will first set the bike up (and fit you to it - this is very important), then
    provide a free 2 week and 6 month checkup to sort out things as everything beds in.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    : money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?

    One thing that has just occured to me. If you aren't happy setting up the bike yourself, then you
    really, really want to buy it from a LBS.

    Any good bike shop will first set the bike up (and fit you to it - this is very important), then
    provide a free 2 week and 6 month checkup to sort out things as everything beds in.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. David Hart

    David Hart Guest

    Why do people assume that they have the right to discount at the LBS? We don't got to Tesco's, and
    ask for discount do we?! Your LBS has to struggle to keep a living. They provide a great service and
    if they all disappeared because they cut their margins to the bone where would we be on a Saturday
    afternoon when we need our bike looked at before our Sunday ride?

    Dave

    I have noconnection with any LBS by the way.

  7. "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    > but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    > advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >
    > On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    > pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    > (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    > shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    > movement less.
    >
    > Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    > money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >
    > ian

    I think that if you look at this objectively you might figure out that 16% isn't a huge discount for
    buying online. You're probably dealing with someone who doesn't have the costs of the LBS, isn't
    going to take the time to ensure that you buy the right bike, isn't going to put you on a fitting
    machine to make sure that the bike is set up to your measurements, isn't going to give you a free
    service after a few months and isn't going to be a source of advice in the coming years.

    Anyway, the shops are getting the 2004 models in now and there are excellent discounts to be had on
    2003 models. Do what I did. Buy 'last year's model', get the price reduction and the LBS service.
    You know it makes sense.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  8. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Ian G Batten wrote:
    > Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    > but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    > advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >
    > On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    > pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    > (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    > shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    > movement less.
    >
    > Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    > money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >
    > ian

    Don't haggle, it's so sordid.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  9. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Ian G Batten wrote:
    > Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    > but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    > advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >
    > On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    > pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    > (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    > shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    > movement less.
    >
    > Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    > money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >
    > ian

    Don't haggle, it's so sordid.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  10. Iarocu

    Iarocu Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    > but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    > advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >
    > On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    > pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    > (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    > shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    > movement less.
    >
    > Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    > money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >
    > ian

    My last two bikes have been from local shops in their sales - last years models. This week I used a
    new bike shop that has opened a bit closer to home to supply and fit a drivetrain - Nexave
    hollowtech crankset, chain and rear cogs, gear cable, 1 set brake blocks. The bill was around what
    it would have cost me for the parts alone. While they were at it they replaced a spoke and trued
    the back wheel. I,m buying a new bike for one of my kids in a month or two so that shop will get
    the sale without question. OK at the money your spending 16% is a fair amount but I would talk to
    the LBS and see what they can do either on the bike or clothing or accessories bought at the same
    time. Iain C

  11. Iarocu

    Iarocu Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    > but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    > advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >
    > On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    > pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    > (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    > shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    > movement less.
    >
    > Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop some
    > money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >
    > ian

    My last two bikes have been from local shops in their sales - last years models. This week I used a
    new bike shop that has opened a bit closer to home to supply and fit a drivetrain - Nexave
    hollowtech crankset, chain and rear cogs, gear cable, 1 set brake blocks. The bill was around what
    it would have cost me for the parts alone. While they were at it they replaced a spoke and trued
    the back wheel. I,m buying a new bike for one of my kids in a month or two so that shop will get
    the sale without question. OK at the money your spending 16% is a fair amount but I would talk to
    the LBS and see what they can do either on the bike or clothing or accessories bought at the same
    time. Iain C

  12. I couldnt agree more. One of my LBSs - Freewheel in Norwich is closing down at the end of December -
    OK their prices were a bit steep but their service was excellent and its really sad to see them go.

    Im happy to say Pedal Revolution are competetive with the online retailers and you get the personal
    touch too - i just hope they dont go the same way.

    Use them or lose them...Im going to be doing my shopping locally now, even if it costs a
    bit more....

    Chris

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:27:11 +0000 (UTC), David Hart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Why do people assume that they have the right to discount at the LBS? We don't got to Tesco's, and
    > ask for discount do we?! Your LBS has to struggle to keep a living. They provide a great service
    > and if they all disappeared because they cut their margins to the bone where would we be on a
    > Saturday afternoon when we need our bike looked at before our Sunday ride?
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > I have noconnection with any LBS by the way.
    >
    > "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    >> but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    >> advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    >> pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    >> (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    >> shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    >> movement less.
    >>
    >> Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop
    >> some money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >>
    >> ian

  13. I couldnt agree more. One of my LBSs - Freewheel in Norwich is closing down at the end of December -
    OK their prices were a bit steep but their service was excellent and its really sad to see them go.

    Im happy to say Pedal Revolution are competetive with the online retailers and you get the personal
    touch too - i just hope they dont go the same way.

    Use them or lose them...Im going to be doing my shopping locally now, even if it costs a
    bit more....

    Chris

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:27:11 +0000 (UTC), David Hart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Why do people assume that they have the right to discount at the LBS? We don't got to Tesco's, and
    > ask for discount do we?! Your LBS has to struggle to keep a living. They provide a great service
    > and if they all disappeared because they cut their margins to the bone where would we be on a
    > Saturday afternoon when we need our bike looked at before our Sunday ride?
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > I have noconnection with any LBS by the way.
    >
    > "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Via my wife I can get 16% discount from one of the online bike shops. Their range isn't immense,
    >> but it covers most of the bases and 16% is a lot when I'm planning to spend 1000-1500 quid. Their
    >> advertised prices are comparable with everyone else, so it's a `real' 16%.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, buying from a local bike shop is a much better idea overall, and I'm happy to
    >> pay for service. Given those two conflicting thoughts, and given that I can pay by cheque or even
    >> (at a push) by cash, what would be a reasonable, fair and non-abusive price to aim for with a
    >> shop? Their margins are going to be thinner than a big online setup, which makes their scope for
    >> movement less.
    >>
    >> Or would I be better off buying a bike online for X-16% and then offering to pay a local shop
    >> some money (fifty quid? a hundred quid?) to set it up for me?
    >>
    >> ian

  14. > Why do people assume that they have the right to discount at the LBS? We don't got to Tesco's, and
    > ask for discount do we?! Your LBS has to struggle to keep a living. They provide a great service
    and
    > if they all disappeared because they cut their margins to the bone where would we be on a Saturday
    > afternoon when we need our bike looked at before our Sunday ride?

    They are richer than me, thus I ask for a discount. I found it better to ask for decent lights and
    lock thrown in - I effectively got forty quids worth knocked off the price, but they lost only the
    trade price. They were still well happy with the sale, which always makes me slightly worried...

  15. > Why do people assume that they have the right to discount at the LBS? We don't got to Tesco's, and
    > ask for discount do we?! Your LBS has to struggle to keep a living. They provide a great service
    and
    > if they all disappeared because they cut their margins to the bone where would we be on a Saturday
    > afternoon when we need our bike looked at before our Sunday ride?

    They are richer than me, thus I ask for a discount. I found it better to ask for decent lights and
    lock thrown in - I effectively got forty quids worth knocked off the price, but they lost only the
    trade price. They were still well happy with the sale, which always makes me slightly worried...

  16. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> Why do people assume that they have the right to discount at the LBS? We don't got to Tesco's,
    >> and ask for discount do we?! Your LBS has to struggle to keep a living. They provide a great
    >> service and if they all disappeared because they cut their margins to the bone where would we be
    >> on a Saturday afternoon when we need our bike looked at before our Sunday ride?
    >
    > They are richer than me, thus I ask for a discount. I found it better to ask for decent lights and
    > lock thrown in - I effectively got forty quids worth knocked off the price, but they lost only the
    > trade price. They were still well happy with the sale, which always makes me slightly worried...

    I'm well richer since I got out of the cycle trade and now mess about with computers.

    Strangly my employers never ask for a discount. I never ask my LBS for a discount, but end up bying
    a lot of stuff from wiggle, because they have it in stock and they dont close at 5.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  17. Andymorris