discourged...with question for coaches

fixed

Jul 13, 2004
so lately its been really cold and i haven't been able to ride every day and prior to it being cold i was just of the bike a lot because i was being a lazy *******...anyhow my fitness is just way off and i am super bummed. especially since i've been doing a lot of reading about the tour and the speed of the elite races and what not.

with speeds greater than 30mph in elit TTs I have become somewhat discouraged...how do these guys get to this level? is a lot of the speed in the aerodynamics? or is that just a little bit of it. What is a good speed to be able to maintain for a relatively flat 40km TT on a road bike?

what do i have to do to get from 23 to the 30s? is a TT bike that much faster?

also what sort of avg speed gain can i expect when eventually upgrading from my 20lb clunker to a 15lb top-o-line racing setup?

lately i've been just aiming for time when i train..and not so much miles. i might go spin (100rpm or thereabouts) in my low gear doing like 14-15mph for 2hrs most days and then 4-5hrs on the longer days is this the right way to do base miles or do I need to be doing them faster?

any answers to any of my many questions would be appreciated

fixed