Discover team for Dauphine-LIbre and Tour de Suisse

I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the Dauphine-
Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??

On Jun 8, 12:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the Dauphine-
> Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
> day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
> that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??

I suspect some riders need a little more recovery time then others.
Also, the real reason probably is contractual with the sponsor, i.e.
getting as much exposure in europe as possible - which is the reason
why rider counts per team have grown over the years. The days of top
riders hitting 200 races a year are long gone!

paolo wrote:

> On Jun 8, 12:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the Dauphine-
>> Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
>> day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
>> that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??

> I suspect some riders need a little more recovery time then others.
> Also, the real reason probably is contractual with the sponsor, i.e.
> getting as much exposure in europe as possible - which is the reason
> why rider counts per team have grown over the years. The days of top
> riders hitting 200 races a year are long gone!

That and you can only store a very limited supply of your own blood over
the off-season. Now with a two year lay-off however ...

--
Bill Asher

I was just thinking that Discovery would want it's TDF to spend time
racing together so that they can refine their tactics and strategy.

I am not certain if their TDF has raced together this season. Perhaps
they did in the Tour of California.

On Jun 8, 2:58 pm, paolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 12:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the Dauphine-
> > Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
> > day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
> > that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??

> I suspect some riders need a little more recovery time then others.
> Also, the real reason probably is contractual with the sponsor, i.e.
> getting as much exposure in europe as possible - which is the reason
> why rider counts per team have grown over the years. The days of top
> riders hitting 200 races a year are long gone!

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
|I was just thinking that Discovery would want it's TDF to spend time
| racing together so that they can refine their tactics and strategy.
|
| I am not certain if their TDF has raced together this season. Perhaps
| they did in the Tour of California.
|

| On Jun 8, 2:58 pm, paolo <[email protected]> wrote:
| > On Jun 8, 12:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
| >
| > > I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the
Dauphine-
| > > Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
| > > day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
| > > that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??
| >
| > I suspect some riders need a little more recovery time then others.
| > Also, the real reason probably is contractual with the sponsor, i.e.
| > getting as much exposure in europe as possible - which is the reason
| > why rider counts per team have grown over the years. The days of top
| > riders hitting 200 races a year are long gone!

It done for the same reason that whole teams don't fly together- in case of
catastrophy. This way, if the cops raid the team at one event and those
riders get disqualified for the Tour, there are still some "A listers"
available.

On Jun 8, 1:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the Dauphine-
> Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
> day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
> that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??

I now wonder if Tom Danielson will appear in the Tour de Suisse.
http://www.tds.ch/tourdesuisse/francais/kader/tds_dsc.html

DirtRoadie <[email protected]> writes:

G> On Jun 8, 1:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the Dauphine-
>> Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
>> day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
>> that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??

> I now wonder if Tom Danielson will appear in the Tour de Suisse.
> http://www.tds.ch/tourdesuisse/francais/kader/tds_dsc.html

You can wonder all you like

It isn't going to happen

Firstly, like all the rest of that squad, he's a useless ******

And secondly the rules forbid him riding without the permission of the
Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Organizer

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply

On Jun 14, 9:49 pm, Davey Crockett <[email protected]>
wrote:
> DirtRoadie <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I now wonder if Tom Danielson will appear in the Tour de Suisse.
> >http://www.tds.ch/tourdesuisse/francais/kader/tds_dsc.html

> You can wonder all you like
>
> It isn't going to happen
>
> Firstly, like all the rest of that squad, he's a useless ******

I'l be sure to tell him that you think so when I next see him.

> And secondly the rules forbid him riding without the permission of the
> Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Organizer

Please elaborate - what rules?

DR

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 05:39:31 -0700, DirtRoadie <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Jun 14, 9:49 pm, Davey Crockett <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> DirtRoadie <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > I now wonder if Tom Danielson will appear in the Tour de Suisse.
>> >http://www.tds.ch/tourdesuisse/francais/kader/tds_dsc.html

>> You can wonder all you like
>>
>> It isn't going to happen
>>
>> Firstly, like all the rest of that squad, he's a useless ******

>I'l be sure to tell him that you think so when I next see him.
>
>> And secondly the rules forbid him riding without the permission of the
>> Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Organizer

>Please elaborate - what rules?

I'd assume UCI rules that you can't drop out of one race and then ride
another that would be going on at the same time as the first.
--
JT
****************************

On Jun 15, 2:45 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >> And secondly the rules forbid him riding without the permission of the
> >> Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Organizer

> >Please elaborate - what rules?

> I'd assume UCI rules that you can't drop out of one race and then ride
> another that would be going on at the same time as the first.

Right, but in cases where someone gets ill and drops out the first day
the race organizer will usually grant permission if the team asks for
it. The thing they don't like is when some sprinter sticks around for
the flat stages, then claims illness as soon as the road points
uphill, then recovers miraculously and tries to line up for another
race.

On Jun 14, 4:22 pm, DirtRoadie <[email protected]> wrote:
> I now wonder if Tom Danielson will appear in the Tour de Suisse.http://www.tds.ch/tourdesuisse/francais/kader/tds_dsc.html

Velonews just reported that he's having the stomach problems checked
out.
His racing calendar now includes the Vuelta, and (not clear whether
Bruyneel actually stated this) possibly the Tours of Austria and
Quinghai Lake (!). Doesn't sound like his prospects with Discovery are
great...

On Jun 15, 1:02 pm, Dwayne <[email protected]> wrote:
> His racing calendar now includes the Vuelta, and (not clear whether
> Bruyneel actually stated this) possibly the Tours of Austria and
> Quinghai Lake (!). Doesn't sound like his prospects with Discovery are
> great...

Right, though given how Bruyneel is scouring China for a title
sponsor, you'd expect that he'd want to win big at Qinghai Lake,
perhaps with Li Fuyu as the team leader there, with Danielson helping
him if TD doesn't score big in the Vuelta.