Discovery Channel And Basso Confirm Agreement For Dna Testing

Tim Lamkin

Oct 17, 2005
From their site "Ivan Basso confirmed today that under the terms of their contract, the Italian rider has agreed to provide a DNA sample if this is requested in a national judicial or disciplinary investigation."

Tim Lamkin said:
From their site "Ivan Basso confirmed today that under the terms of their contract, the Italian rider has agreed to provide a DNA sample if this is requested in a national judicial or disciplinary investigation."
if this is requested in a national judicial or disciplinary investigation...

so only if a Spanish judge demands dna samples from the riders. Given the shambles that Puerto has presented so far this seems unlikely - but I hope Basso spends his nights sweating over the prospect.

Rolfrae said:
if this is requested in a national judicial or disciplinary investigation...

so only if a Spanish judge demands dna samples from the riders. Given the shambles that Puerto has presented so far this seems unlikely - but I hope Basso spends his nights sweating over the prospect.
I think he will sleep rather soundly.

Good for DC and Basso. This is a reasonable gesture. If requested officially, and subject to the rule of law, then he'll grant the sample. Granting samples for know good reason, other than to placate the braying hounds on the forums, would be stupid. This is a fair compromise.

Have they said what kind of precausions they're taking bringing in an accused doper? I understand he's innocent until proven guilty (just as it should be) but there's already so much suspicion around him, they'd be foolish not to include a clause in his contract or implement additional testing of all team members (like T-mobile is doing).

Serafino said:
Good for DC and Basso. This is a reasonable gesture. If requested officially, and subject to the rule of law, then he'll grant the sample. Granting samples for know good reason, other than to placate the braying hounds on the forums, would be stupid. This is a fair compromise.

Yet when Basso's signing was first announced, Disco were going to take a DNA sample before he was allowed to ride. Kind of puts this 'reasonable gesture' in another light, wouldn't you say?

earth, most definitely smacks of a Disco PR exercise - looks nice and means eff all...