Professional Cycling · Public discussion

Discovery in disarray ’07 style ?

Started by whiteboytrash · · Last activity · 86 posts · 10,081 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Professional Cycling
Published
25 February 2007
Last activity
28 May 2007
Original author
whiteboytrash
Posts
86
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
10,081
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 86
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. fscyclist said:

    I never liked Riis as a rider but I do like him as a DS. Bruyneel showed no class as a rider or a DS. Anyone that decides to suck Indurain's wheel for an entire stage without taking a single pull only to sprint by him at the end is a complete POS.

    I think the best analogy I have to a DS and the racers is like a parent to children. As a kid we all did stupid things, things we may have regretted, and as parents we try to discourage our children from making those same mistakes. I see the actions of Riis and the current TMob leadership acting in a responsible parental manner, while the actions of some DSs (Bruyneel and Lefevre) indicate they still are acting like children.


    However, it has been shown that having a reformed drug addict teaching kids how terrible drugs are does not work. It merely teaches kids that they can do the drugs then clean up and live fine without drugs later.

    I think the same thing applies here. How can Riis look his riders in the eye - when everyone knows that all his fame and fortune is largely due to his drug use - and tell them not to use drugs? Why would they follow this advice when they want what he achieved?

    (P.S. I don't think that he is actually saying this anyway. I'd say it's all for show, to appease the sponsors.)

  2. patch70 said:

    However, it has been shown that having a reformed drug addict teaching kids how terrible drugs are does not work. It merely teaches kids that they can do the drugs then clean up and live fine without drugs later.

    I think the same thing applies here. How can Riis look his riders in the eye - when everyone knows that all his fame and fortune is largely due to his drug use - and tell them not to use drugs? Why would they follow this advice when they want what he achieved?

    (P.S. I don't think that he is actually saying this anyway. I'd say it's all for show, to appease the sponsors.)

    Point taken...But who would you propose be a DS? What former tour rider of the last 15 years isn't tainted? If you exclude Riis, then you have to exclude 90+% of everyone involved with cycling. There has to be a point where you say old things are in the past; it's time to start over.

    I don't know Riis' motivation for his statements and actions, nor do I care. What matters is what is said and done. He is doing the right things, along with TMob. Disco is getting what they deserve and hopefully more will come out to discredit their management and hiring of Basso.

  3. fscyclist said:

    Point taken...But who would you propose be a DS? What former tour rider of the last 15 years isn't tainted? If you exclude Riis, then you have to exclude 90+% of everyone involved with cycling. There has to be a point where you say old things are in the past; it's time to start over.

    I don't know Riis' motivation for his statements and actions, nor do I care. What matters is what is said and done. He is doing the right things, along with TMob. Disco is getting what they deserve and hopefully more will come out to discredit their management and hiring of Basso.


    I fully agree and wish I knew the answer. But I fear that there is too much money behind keeping the status quo to make any real (and necessary) changes.

  4. Hincapie out of the Giro.... looks to be drug related...... like I said if he starts winning mountain stages at the Tour I'll never watch a days cycling again..... heading back to Girona Spain to train my [censored] !

  5. whiteboytrash said:

    Hincapie out of the Giro.... looks to be drug related...... like I said if he starts winning mountain stages at the Tour I'll never watch a days cycling again..... heading back to Girona Spain to train my [censored] !

    Well, big Tom Boonen, Valverde, Oscar P., et al., never even entered the Giro.

    You know what that means :eek: doping program running on all cylinders!

    WBT, your anti-Discovery bias is showing. I'd rather read about the rampant and uncontrolled doping at Telekom/T-Mobile 😉

  6. Serafino said:

    I'd rather read about the rampant and uncontrolled doping at Telekom/T-Mobile 😉

    Ssshhhhhhhhh. We dont utter those words around here. 😄

  7. thebluetrain said:

    Ssshhhhhhhhh. We dont utter those words around here. 😄

    Basso breaks Hincapie's wrist, Basso gone in drug shame, Hoste gone, Hincaspie out of the Giro, Popo out of the Giro.... its another lame year for DC..... no sponser, no riders and no class !

  8. whiteboytrash said:

    Basso breaks Hincapie's wrist, Basso gone in drug shame, Hoste gone, Hincaspie out of the Giro, Popo out of the Giro.... its another lame year for DC..... no sponser, no riders and no class !

    Just you wait until Little Tommy D wins the Tour! Then we'll see who's in disarray. 🙄

  9. I seem to recall their winning a few tours earlier in the year.

    Terrible results I know according to your exalted standards.

  10. Serafino said:

    I seem to recall their winning a few tours earlier in the year.

    Terrible results I know according to your exalted standards.

    A few ? One. Paris-Nice. That was with an OP rider as well so it doesn't count.

    Lame. Disarray.

  11. whiteboytrash said:

    A few ? One. Paris-Nice. That was with an OP rider as well so it doesn't count.

    Lame. Disarray.

    Bruyneel will have to confess to doping so he can get some of the spotlight back on DC.... does anyone know if DC still exist in the peleton anymore ? I haven't seen them in days on the TV coverage.....

  12. whiteboytrash said:

    Basso breaks Hincapie's wrist, Basso gone in drug shame, Hoste gone, Hincaspie out of the Giro, Popo out of the Giro.... its another lame year for DC..... no sponser, no riders and no class !


    Don't forget that musette told us that Bruyneel is going for a clean sweep of all three GTs this year.

  13. patch70 said:

    Don't forget that musette told us that Bruyneel is going for a clean sweep of all three GTs this year.

    Oh yes..... and how good did Basso look in DC blue...... lol !

    To be honest I'd be surprised if they are a team next year...... all thats left is the EPO confessions....

  14. whiteboytrash said:

    Oh yes..... and how good did Basso look in DC blue...... lol !

    To be honest I'd be surprised if they are a team next year...... all thats left is the EPO confessions....

    Rumor is that Slipstream will get their PT license and also take some of the riders for next year.

  15. earth_dweller said:

    Rumor is that Slipstream will get their PT license and also take some of the riders for next year.

    What Vaughters Slipstream ? Aint he a junkie ? no chance..... there is more chance of the PT licence selling on eBay than that......

  16. whiteboytrash said:

    What Vaughters Slipstream ? Aint he a junkie ? no chance..... there is more chance of the PT licence selling on eBay than that......

    i guess we'll just see about it in a few months.

    and oh they're all dirty in one way or another.

  17. earth_dweller said:

    i guess we'll just see about it in a few months.

    and oh they're all dirty in one way or another.

    OK..... meanwhile lets take a look back at one clean team.....

    From the start, Postal rode in tight formation, no other teams contesting the space on the road. They set the pace high, not looking back. Three riders managed to escape early on. Voeckler's La Boulangère teammate Sylvain Chavanel took off with Mickael Rasmussen, of Rabobank, and Basso's CSC teammate Jens Voigt. But their escape gained them a mere six minutes, while Postal ground away according to the game plan. On the radio, Bruyneel described the damage Postal was causing. Euskaltel-Euskadi's Haimar Zubeldia, who'd finished fifth the year before, abandoned after 10.5 miles. Eleven minutes later, it was Denis Menchov (11th in 2003), then Gerrit Glomser—world-class riders, breaking apart like Chinese motorcycles.

    Phonak's Tyler Hamilton, who was suffering from a severe back injury from a crash a week earlier in Stage 6, drifted to the back of the peloton. The night before, Phonak's director, Alvaro Pino, had suggested to Hamilton that it might be time to consider quitting. Hamilton, who had finished fourth in the 2003 Tour despite riding with a fractured collarbone, had said no—he'd gut it out, he'd finish, he'd never quit. Then, late that night, Hamilton sought out Kristopher, his physiotherapist.

    "Be honest with me," Hamilton said. "Is my back [censored]?"

    "Your back is [censored]," Kristopher said.

    As the peloton approached a feed zone, Hamilton stopped pedaling and coasted to a halt. He stood by the side of the road and saluted his team as it went past, then stepped into the team car without a word.

    Two hours later, it was Iban Mayo's turn. The Postals were blasting up the Col d'Agnes, and the Basque rider, a 26-year-old welder's son considered to be the best pure climber in the world, had been dropped with the rest of Euskaltel-Euskadi. As they rode together, trying to catch up, Mayo suddenly stepped off the bike and stalked disgustedly to the side of the road. His director ran to him and persuaded him to keep going, but the truth was clear: Mayo was broken, cracked, finished. A hundred thousand Basques stood up the road, wondering what had happened to their hero, the man who had defeated Armstrong during a time trial on Mont Ventoux at the Dauphiné Libéré race just five weeks earlier.

    Postal rode on, trading the lead according to plan. In best Armstrong form, they kept it casual. They may have been hurting, but they made sure their rivals saw only an easy manner, an occasional joke, the easy flip of a water bottle. On one steep section, riders stared as Hincapie casually rode no-handed while he fiddled with his sunglasses.

    "I tried to escape, but Postal was like a giant train that you couldn't escape," rider Francisco Mancebo said.

    "On the climb of the Agnes, it was unbelievable," said Levi Leipheimer, an American riding for the Dutch Rabobank squad. "I counted 22 riders in the group, with seven U.S. Postal guys in front. I've never seen anything like that."

    "Christ, the Postals were strong," Australian Michael Rogers said.

  18. whiteboytrash said:

    OK..... meanwhile lets take a look back at one clean team.....

    From the start, Postal rode in tight formation, no other teams contesting the space on the road. They set the pace high, not looking back. Three riders managed to escape early on. Voeckler's La Boulangère teammate Sylvain Chavanel took off with Mickael Rasmussen, of Rabobank, and Basso's CSC teammate Jens Voigt. But their escape gained them a mere six minutes, while Postal ground away according to the game plan. On the radio, Bruyneel described the damage Postal was causing. Euskaltel-Euskadi's Haimar Zubeldia, who'd finished fifth the year before, abandoned after 10.5 miles. Eleven minutes later, it was Denis Menchov (11th in 2003), then Gerrit Glomser—world-class riders, breaking apart like Chinese motorcycles.

    Phonak's Tyler Hamilton, who was suffering from a severe back injury from a crash a week earlier in Stage 6, drifted to the back of the peloton. The night before, Phonak's director, Alvaro Pino, had suggested to Hamilton that it might be time to consider quitting. Hamilton, who had finished fourth in the 2003 Tour despite riding with a fractured collarbone, had said no—he'd gut it out, he'd finish, he'd never quit. Then, late that night, Hamilton sought out Kristopher, his physiotherapist.

    "Be honest with me," Hamilton said. "Is my back [censored]?"

    "Your back is [censored]," Kristopher said.

    As the peloton approached a feed zone, Hamilton stopped pedaling and coasted to a halt. He stood by the side of the road and saluted his team as it went past, then stepped into the team car without a word.

    Two hours later, it was Iban Mayo's turn. The Postals were blasting up the Col d'Agnes, and the Basque rider, a 26-year-old welder's son considered to be the best pure climber in the world, had been dropped with the rest of Euskaltel-Euskadi. As they rode together, trying to catch up, Mayo suddenly stepped off the bike and stalked disgustedly to the side of the road. His director ran to him and persuaded him to keep going, but the truth was clear: Mayo was broken, cracked, finished. A hundred thousand Basques stood up the road, wondering what had happened to their hero, the man who had defeated Armstrong during a time trial on Mont Ventoux at the Dauphiné Libéré race just five weeks earlier.

    Postal rode on, trading the lead according to plan. In best Armstrong form, they kept it casual. They may have been hurting, but they made sure their rivals saw only an easy manner, an occasional joke, the easy flip of a water bottle. On one steep section, riders stared as Hincapie casually rode no-handed while he fiddled with his sunglasses.

    "I tried to escape, but Postal was like a giant train that you couldn't escape," rider Francisco Mancebo said.

    "On the climb of the Agnes, it was unbelievable," said Levi Leipheimer, an American riding for the Dutch Rabobank squad. "I counted 22 riders in the group, with seven U.S. Postal guys in front. I've never seen anything like that."

    "Christ, the Postals were strong," Australian Michael Rogers said.

    That's well written. Can you include a source when dropping in quoted text? Cheers.

  19. Rhubarb said:

    That's well written. Can you include a source when dropping in quoted text? Cheers.

    Mate I'm not going to glorify cheaters by quoting the source..... like Landis's ride the rest of the peleton couldn't quite believe what happened that day... how could a team completely destroy the field on their own - I mean Hincapie dropping climbers ?.... you idiots read about it in the Armstrong books as "team work" and "training".. the rest of the peleton was quoted as saying “two speeds” and USPS are full of “[censored] and juice”.... which one was right ?

  20. whiteboytrash said:

    Mate I'm not going to glorify cheaters by quoting the source..... like Landis's ride the rest of the peleton couldn't quite believe what happened that day... how could a team completely destroy the field on their own - I mean Hincapie dropping climbers ?.... you idiots read about it in the Armstrong books as "team work" and "training".. the rest of the peleton was quoted as saying “two speeds” and USPS are full of “[censored] and juice”.... which one was right ?

    OK! I do believe Lance doped.
    I am wondering why Lance started winning TDFs after cancer treatment and not before it because EPO has been available before 1996, right?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.