Discovery Team to Announce big new signing!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

I know this forum is harsh, but geesz, what a stupid opinion concerning the current Dauphine and Tour of Deutschland champion. Do you guys find writing this stuff enjoyable? I just don't understand the psychology that makes people write this stuff...

2. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I am soooo sorry. Stupid me. I made the ridiculous generalisation that everyone on this forum has a sense of humour.

What can I do to right this inconsiderate oversight of mine?

3. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Is that all?

I get to keep my bike?

4. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

I've got the capacity to receive humor, you just need the capacity to generate some!

Seriously, I responded because there wasn't a trace of humor there, so I presumed you to be making a critical comment. My bad, I suppose, but your real bad!

5. davidbod

davidbod New Member

NEWS FLASH: Everything people post here unless they are quoting news articles is opinion.

In my opinion: Until he takes the DNA test I don't see the chance that he will ride for another team. The TDF organizers got him banned from the tour. If Jan gets off without a penalty, do you think their just going to let him come back next year without any problems.

No one seems to have spotted this strange comment in his interview either. He states (this is not opinion, this is a quote from a news article):
    "Not once in my career have I cheated the other riders."

He didn't say he has never blood doped or taken PEDs, he is mincing words like a lawyer. Assuming he believes (rightly or wrongly) that the whole peloton is doped, then doping himself would not be cheating the other riders would it.

6. mitosis

mitosis New Member

You forgot to preface your reply with "in my opinion".

I am sorry if I offended you. I'm pleased I touched a nerve.

7. bauerfan

bauerfan New Member

Translations are not always equal. I don't know where yours came from. I read the original article as so kindly provided by cyclingheroes. To paraphrase from the original German he was asked if he doped -- he answered -- "naturally not" or "I did not dope" -- this was the headline in many German news stories -- he didn't vacillate. He then added the comment about not cheating other riders. Despite Leblanc's comments about Ullrich not being at the Tour next year if nothing sticks to Jan they will not be able to exclude him from the Tour. On the DNA test his comment was to the effect "I am not a murderer, I am a cyclist -- a lot more will have to happen before I submit to a DNA test".

8. davidbod

davidbod New Member

I've seen it stated in 2 different locations like the quote above, which is from Eurosport. I've also seen it stated differently in another article? Whatever happens with Jans future its not going to come quickly. I would think that any team even considering signing a contract with him would have to be assured that he is cleared to the point where the UCI, WADA and tour organizers are all satisfied that he is OK to ride again. That could take some time, if ever.

9. seriouslydog

seriouslydog New Member

If Zabriskie could go anywhere it would probably be to join Floyd at Phonak. He already shares a training home with him in Girona. He'd help in the TTT for sure but it seems to me Phonak needs more strength in the mountains, not something Z can offer.

10. bauerfan

bauerfan New Member

The same source is used by different services -- therefore the mistake is spread around.

If the Swiss decide to proceed on a doping action it will be very difficult for Ullrich to race again even if there is insufficient evidence in the long run I imagine there is a lot of backroom discussions going on -- whiteyboytrash's information that there would have to be extraordinary doping controls if Ullrich were to go to Discovery might indicate some of the compromises being discussed.

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

That is a major problem with the current ProTour ethics code that suspends riders before they are found guilty. The process can take a very long time. Hamilton did not get his final ruling until a year and a half of his two year suspension had already gone by. What if--yeah, right!--the test results had been thrown out.

Ullrich could be left in limbo. If the national federation cannot force a DNA test then what evidence do they really have? If the Swiss federation refuses to sanction Ullrich and then the UCI appeals to CAS, the situation could drag on for a year. And then you have the further complication that the ASO might not accept the result. With the Tour no longer having an agreement with the ProTour, they can easily exclude teams.

It seems to me that the riders need union representation to protect their interests. It is bad enough with Basso, but he is young enough that he will survive. With Ullrich nearing the end of his career it is very unfair.

12. davidbod

davidbod New Member

And that is why no team is going to sign him in the short term. The longer it drags on into next year, the less likely he will be to find a team which can take him also.

13. mitosis

mitosis New Member

If Floyd Landis transferred to Tmobile he could be called pink floyd.

14. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

You're not the only one who thought that. :p
    How about pretty-boy-pink-floyd. :p
    The marketing of him could be phenomenal.

15. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

This is by far the best observation on professional cycling I have read in a long time!! :)

16. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

The question was : Honest, did you really never dope? Answer JU: "ofcourse not" and than he goes on with "Not once in my career have I cheated the other riders".

If you take the ofcourse out it's a strange comment, but the full answer isn't a strange comment at all. It's strange that you didn't write the first two words of the answer.

Edit: sorry i didn't know you (davidbod) where reacting on a translated version of the interview, i reacted on the original German interview. The translations on BBC & Eurosport are pretty bad.

17. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Trying to read hidden meaning into statements that were translated from another language does not seem like a good idea.

18. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Correct, but the statement of Gert Steegmans in your signature is a correct translation (he said it without the *):D

19. acpinto

acpinto New Member

He should have sticked to if the spanish guardia civil( the ones who can acuse him!) asked me, in order to acuse me of something, i will do it.

Because if they don´t acuse him of being linked to fuentes, who are UCI to demand DNA test from him and not from the other riders?

Or Tour Organizers?

20. JensCph

JensCph New Member

Nah, he just needs to take the lead in the Giro.