Discovery Team to Announce big new signing!

According to an Asturian newspaper and an English-language Chechu fansite that Chechu sometimes provides input to, he renewed before the TdF for 2 years and will end his career with DC.

He underperformed in the TdF, but he is still a generally pretty good mountains domestique. Plus he was there when LA really really needed him in the 2003 Tour (leaving aside other memorable instances, like "The Look", "The Bluff"); so he has a lot of goodwill with the team management.

McCarthy was ill a lot during this year's Giro, but, before that, he was considered a pretty good domestique.

Correction: I think T Lowe is signed up for next year. I also meant Martinez to appear only in the column of people signed up or likey to be kept.

dexjava said:
Let's examine...

Armstrong:
-Yes age is a factor. Pushing 36 yrs old in tour 2007, armstrong would have lost something. However, he would have gained motivation to train, as he thrives off challenge and people saying that he can't do something. Let's not forget, he was reportedly struggling to find the motivation to train during 2005. A year off would likely give him a huge boost of motivation.
-Still, he would probably be weaker in 2007, even with increased motivation. However look at his competition...
*Basso - probably not racing TDF next year
*Jan - same
*Mancebo - same
*Floyd - An amazing comeback for Floyd would be if he's back on form for 2008. You cannot have the largest joint in your leg cut open, have pieces of it chopped out, and have artificial material inserted in the place of bone, and be able to quickly recover from that. So Floyd is not likely strong for 2007.
*Valverde - Who knows. You can say he's a challenger, but so far he's having trouble reaching the finish line. He's somewhat of an unknown for 2007.
*In 2005, the 5th place finisher was Vino, 11:01 back. Right now he's the best point of reference for a possible Armstrong comeback. Granted, he was doing his lone ranger thing in 2005, and now he has a whole team behind him. Though he is a bit younger than Armstrong, time is not on his side. He'll be nearly 34 at next year's tour.

Then question is, would that gap between Armstrong and his remaining rivals close down a little, or would that gap disapear and take a turn into the negative? Also, does he actually want to race again?

Another couple points:
-No matter what other theories are tossed around for Armstrong's meeting with LeBlanc and the new Prudhomme, the single best explanation would be that he himself wants to ride. Aside from the drug allegations which tour organizers can brush aside by pointing to the Vrijman report (make no mistake, tour organizers care about 1 thing - money. ASO is a private corporation. It's all about image, not personal feelings. Their private beliefs about armstrong, good or bad, has never ever been a factor and it never will be), the other big problem they had with Armstrong was the boredom factor. Now that he stepped aside for a year he's left the door open for other stars to shine in the tour. His return at nearly 36 might might even be a juicy story for them now.
-Several of Lance's big lawsuits that were weighing him down are now done.
-The crowds at the tour were significantly smaller this year because all the really big names were missing. Armstrong brings in the big crowds, even if some of them are there to hope he loses. He would be a very good thing for the tour next year.

Personally I don't think the new signee is armstrong just because I don't think he wants to race bikes again. Maybe a few marathons and a Tri, but that's it. However, there's nothing besides his own feelings that would keep him from returning at this point.

Ullrich:
-I have 2 things to say about Ullrich signing with Discovery...

1) Ullrich > Hincapie as tour leader ;p

2) If he signed, and was allowed to ride in the Vuelta, I could die happy after listening to Tom Danielson throw a hissy when he was replaced as leader for that tour. I. Could. Die. Happy. In fact I would probably die of laughter.
Damnit, looks like i'm late ><

Still though, I hope Levi isn't the biggest signing for next year. Notice in the article Bruyneel says "He'll definitely be a Tour de France rider for us in 2007". He does not say leader. "a Tour de France rider" still leaves room for a possible leader, if they have the money and the opportunity.

musette said:
According to an Asturian newspaper and an English-language Chechu fansite that Chechu sometimes provides input to, he renewed before the TdF for 2 years and will end his career with DC.

He underperformed in the TdF, but he is still a generally pretty good mountains domestique. Plus he was there when LA really really needed him in the 2003 Tour (leaving aside other memorable instances, like "The Look", "The Bluff"); so he has a lot of goodwill with the team management.

McCarthy was ill a lot during this year's Giro, but, before that, he was considered a pretty good domestique.

Correction: I think T Lowe is signed up for next year.
Well, ok, maybe for the minor races - teams are 27 riders, not 9 - but I am not a fan of either for the major GTs going forward.

It's probably Armstrong. He's bored, knows he could still be a favorite, would get BIG money, and now that he's sat out a year, losing the next TDF wouldn't be as much a loss as if he had tried for his 8th consecutive and lost.

JRMDC said:
Just curious, what do you have against Danielson? That's a pretty strong statement concerning a rider of secondary importance.
I don't have anything big against him, I was just annoyed by him during the work-up to the giro this year, when he was more or less questioning Savo's role as leader for that race. I really didn't think he earned the right to challenge a 2-time winner of the race who he was supposed to be riding for.

That's why I thought it would be hilarious to hear what he had to say if he lost his leadership for the Vuelta to Ullrich.

Pendejo said:
It's probably Armstrong. He's bored, knows he could still be a favorite, would get BIG money, and now that he's sat out a year, losing the next TDF wouldn't be as much a loss as if he had tried for his 8th consecutive and lost.
Armstrong fleshes out palmares by going for Giro/Vuelta double! :)

He could add all of the important Italian races, San Remo, Lombardy, etc. Has he ridden any of them?

And, since it is, after all, a Pro Tour race, Poland!!!!!!

limerickman said:
It was Kloden who stated that Armstrong had a pathological hatred of TM.
If Armstrong hates TM, it sounds like Kloden has that in common with him now.

dexjava said:
If Armstrong hates TM, it sounds like Kloden has that in common with him now.

Kloden and the other TM riders are unhappy with the way TM is dealing with JU.

Which is distinct from the issue of Armstrong's hatred of TM.

Kloden gave two interviews to Cycle Sport : one in 2005 and the other in 2004.
In both interviews Kloden stated that he had little or not time for Armstrong.
He said that Armstrong, for whatever reason, had a "pathological hatred of TM".
Asked why this is so, Kloden replied "I have been with TM for 7 years - and not once during that time have TM management or TM riders said anything about Armstrong which could engender any bad feeling (pathological hatred).......I don't care for his (Armstrong's) attitude. His attitude leaves a lot to be desired".
Kloden went on to suggest that Armstrong had particularly bad feeling toward Pevenage and Ullrich - for no apparent reason other than they're on a different team to Armstrong, Kloden said.

limerickman said:
Kloden and the other TM riders are unhappy with the way TM is dealing with JU.

Which is distinct from the issue of Armstrong's hatred of TM.

Kloden gave two interviews to Cycle Sport : one in 2005 and the other in 2004.
In both interviews Kloden stated that he had little or not time for Armstrong.
He said that Armstrong, for whatever reason, had a "pathological hatred of TM".
Asked why this is so, Kloden replied "I have been with TM for 7 years - and not once during that time have TM management or TM riders said anything about Armstrong which could engender any bad feeling (pathological hatred).......I don't care for his (Armstrong's) attitude. His attitude leaves a lot to be desired".
Kloden went on to suggest that Armstrong had particularly bad feeling toward Pevenage and Ullrich - for no apparent reason other than they're on a different team to Armstrong, Kloden said.
That may be true, but I've never (personally) heard Armstrong say anything regarding Jan Ullrich that I would perceive to be negative. Ummm....I do think he said Jan would be better off with a higher cadence or something like that..but I wouldn't consider that "negative".

Mansmind said:
That may be true, but I've never (personally) heard Armstrong say anything regarding Jan Ullrich that I would perceive to be negative. Ummm....I do think he said Jan would be better off with a higher cadence or something like that..but I wouldn't consider that "negative".

He also said that he didn't think Jan really enjoyed riding his bike; and that this was perhaps the biggest difference between him and him.

DiabloScott said:
He also said that he didn't think Jan really enjoyed riding his bike; and that this was perhaps the biggest difference between him and him.
Now that you mention it, I think I remember that also. Still, it's an observation...perhaps even an accurate one. If everything you read is true, Jan tended to not start preparing nearly as early in the year. I don't know how accurate all of that is however.

Mansmind said:

Kloden didn't go in to specifics about who allegedly said what.

At any rate, there is a large degree of animosity, according to Kloden.

Still it's in the past now.

"My manager Toni Rominger has received three offers, although none of those are from T-Mobile. I'd certainly like to continue riding with my team-mates.""

Klodie said above. If TM wants to keep Klodie, why haven't they made an offer to him, esp since he podiumed in the TdF and there were rumors Gerolsteiner was pursuing him? Is TM not interested in keeping Klodie at the salary that Klodie is likely to demand?

From an article on Velonews' web site:

"This is a Tour in a period of transition," said Discovery Channel director Johan Bruyneel. "We wore the yellow jersey and won a stage but our objectives were greater than that. Popovych is a rider with a lot of class who is also very aggressive. Right now, however, we will consider some changes that should allow us to be better next year. I believe we need to be more focused on having just one leader."

What happens with Levi's relationship with Specialized? No more Specialized ads involving Levi. Hah, hah. :p

Levi could have as support next year: Hincapie, Popo, Danielson, Chechu, Noval, Padrnos, Martinez; maybe Ace if he is still around.

If Levi wants to take a final try or two at the Tour, that's an enviable support team if they are all behind him. Bruyneel might have used that non-monetary major benefit in recruiting Levi for less money than Levi was initially hoping for. He could also legitimately offer Levi the best DS support there is in the business in the form of Bruyneel himself, plus background help and periodic support from LA.

musette said:
What happens with Levi's relationship with Specialized? No more Specialized ads involving Levi. Hah, hah. :p
DC are more stupid than I thought they were.... do they honestly expect to do anything with Levi ? Hincapie has more charisma than Levi.... a low-carb vegetarian diet has more charisma than Levi..... what are DC thinking... I honestly cannot believe that this is a "big new signing"...... its diabolic, shambolic and constitutes nothing short of disarray.... what a sorry state of affairs....

whiteboytrash said:
DC are more stupid than I thought they were.... do they honestly expect to do anything with Levi ? Hincapie has more charisma than Levi.... a low-carb vegetarian diet has more charisma than Levi..... what are DC thinking... I honestly cannot believe that this is a "big new signing"...... its diabolic, shambolic and constitutes nothing short of disarray.... what a sorry state of affairs....
ru kidding me? this is huge. huge i tell ya! *yawns*

limerickman said:
Kloden didn't go in to specifics about who allegedly said what.

At any rate, there is a large degree of animosity, according to Kloden.

Still it's in the past now.

People remember what other people say, including on this board. ;)

TadThomas said:
It was hidden on the site and had to do a search. Here's the link....http://www.thepaceline.com/members/staff_report_item.aspx?cid=2586

When I now tried to access thepaceline's Levi report (which was there when I looked earlier today, with picture and description of Levi and the two other new signers), it has been replaced by the front page of the Staff Reports section! :eek:

Maybe TadThomas wasn't supposed to have leaked this before tomorrow's announcement!

And now a reminder on Post #3 in this thread:

musette said:
Exact words from thepaceline:

"And because you're a faithful reader of this column, I'll tell you to look for a major signing announcement Tuesday morning, US time! It's big and you're gonna like it…"

I think it could be Leipheimer, even though he is not as strong as DC would like. Their preferred candidates are not available at this point: Basso, Valverde, Floyd.

Maybe they are taking a gamble on JU, subject to his being allowed to race next year. But I doubt DC would be happy with their signing JU, so I think it's an American rider and it's Leipheimer.

musette said:
He could also legitimately offer Levi the best DS support there is in the business
I think it would be rather hard to get Riis offer his support.