Discovery Team to Announce big new signing!

Can someone with more inside knowledge comment on the economics of cycling teams, sponsors, and star riders?

I'm quite familiar with how other sports work. For example, top NBA stars often make as much or money in sponsorships than they do in salary. And teams make money from TV and revenue sharing making winning not so important. Witness the Clippers and Royals.

How does it work in Cycling? Clearly the prize money is not the main draw because I imagine just putting together a winning tour campaign costs more than taking the yellow jersey in Paris pays out.

Having mainly followed the tour and not the other races I gotta say that Levi just doesn't strike me as having the charisma and personality that you want in either a tour leader or spokesman. On every tour he's ridden he just sort of lurks there in the shadows, often riding up with the leaders in mountain stages, but never doing much spectacular. He is the least dramatic rider I've ever seen.

As for Discovery, being an American team with mostly American sponsors, I'd think they would want a team leader who can sell. Both Lance and Floyd have that quality in spades. Trek has sold one hell of a lot of bikes because people want to ride what Lance rides. Floyd has the charisma to sell one hell of a lot of bikes too. But Levi?

Judging from what I've read, seems to me that the way to get Floyd would be to recruit him together with Zabriski as they are already training partners.

In any event, Floyd would be crazy to re-sign right away with Phonak. At a minimum, out of pure self-interest he ought to sit tight and see what sort of offers develop.

That would be Floyd's most lucrative strategy if he had no health problems, but he does not need a change in teams right now. He is undergoing career-threatening hip replacement surgery soon.

texasdiver said:
Can someone with more inside knowledge comment on the economics of cycling teams, sponsors, and star riders?

I'm quite familiar with how other sports work. For example, top NBA stars often make as much or money in sponsorships than they do in salary. And teams make money from TV and revenue sharing making winning not so important. Witness the Clippers and Royals.

How does it work in Cycling? Clearly the prize money is not the main draw because I imagine just putting together a winning tour campaign costs more than taking the yellow jersey in Paris pays out.

Having mainly followed the tour and not the other races I gotta say that Levi just doesn't strike me as having the charisma and personality that you want in either a tour leader or spokesman. On every tour he's ridden he just sort of lurks there in the shadows, often riding up with the leaders in mountain stages, but never doing much spectacular. He is the least dramatic rider I've ever seen.

As for Discovery, being an American team with mostly American sponsors, I'd think they would want a team leader who can sell. Both Lance and Floyd have that quality in spades. Trek has sold one hell of a lot of bikes because people want to ride what Lance rides. Floyd has the charisma to sell one hell of a lot of bikes too. But Levi?

Judging from what I've read, seems to me that the way to get Floyd would be to recruit him together with Zabriski as they are already training partners.

In any event, Floyd would be crazy to re-sign right away with Phonak. At a minimum, out of pure self-interest he ought to sit tight and see what sort of offers develop.
the part i don't get is when you say floyd is an artesian well of charisma. am i missing something?

Wow! I caused a website to pull a page!!! Yay!!! Something else for the ol resume. It was never linked on any page that I could find on the paceline.com. I simply used their search function and entered "sign" and that led me to the info.

Perhaps I blew the whole Leipheimer deal! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey Paceline.com, if you want a real IT pro that knows how to keep stuff hidden give me a shout! ***Shameless Plug***

Who knows? Maybe they'll give me a Madone for it.....then I can sell it for a Cervelo Sololist Carbon!

You should know that I had typed in "signed" in the search function, and had not gotten the result, when it was up. :confused:

Mansmind said:
Before... Basso would not have left Riis... but now? That may have changed since OP. I guess we'll see.

If it's Tyler... I don't see how they're saying it would be a "good" surprise. That team will become transparent to me if they bring on Tyler.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to sign someone who has been banned for drugs. Suggests they won't perform without them (anyone hear much of Millar in the T de F this year?).

Tyler? It doesn't seem to fit with the shrewd clever reputation of Bruyneel and Armstrong.

whiteboytrash said:
DC are more stupid than I thought they were.... do they honestly expect to do anything with Levi ? Hincapie has more charisma than Levi.... a low-carb vegetarian diet has more charisma than Levi..... what are DC thinking... I honestly cannot believe that this is a "big new signing"...... its diabolic, shambolic and constitutes nothing short of disarray.... what a sorry state of affairs....

I have to agree. Of course, if Levi performs well, then I put my foot in my mouth, but, if DC wants to be successful longer/future... gotta start young.

My only reasoning: American on an American team.

If this is the big new signing, kind of a let down if you ask me.

Official word from Specialized...from Specialized Web Site...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCWhatsNewDetail.jsp?article=5552&refp=USHome

Tour Wrap and Levi Farewell

Specialized riders helped create one of the most spectacular and dramatic Tours de France in memory, with three of the four major jerseys being awarded to athletes wearing The Big Red 'S':

- Yellow Jersey. Floyd Landis proved to be unstoppable. Early in the race, he was cool and calculating. Later, he proved fallible. And, finally, he won on pure strength and courage, implanting his Body Geometry shoes in the derrieres of all who challenged him.

- White Jersey. Damiano Cunego proved to be the best young rider (under-26) of the race. Cunego's attacking style, prowess in the mountains, and commendable time trial on the penultimate day show that he is returning to the form that earned him the overall win in the 2004 Giro d'Italia. Like his Lampre-Fondital team, Cunego wears Specialized Body Geometry shoes.
- Green Jersey. Robbie McEwen picked up another points, a.k.a. "sprinter's", jersey. His tactical skill, fearless style, and explosive finish netted him three stage wins in this epic Tour. Robbie and his Davitamon-Lotto teammates ride Specialized Decibel helmets and Body Geometry gloves.

For the S-Works Tarmac SL riders of Team Gerolsteiner, it was a mixed Tour. Marcus Fothen held the white jersey for most of the race, only to concede it to Cunego on the last mountain stage. Fothen's balance of talent between the cols and the time trials, though, shows that he has true potential for the grand tours.

Gerolsteiner team captain, Levi Leipheimer, acknowledged disappointment in his 13th place finish. After entering the Tour as a serious yellow jersey contender, an off-day in the first time trial left him on the outside looking in. Levi will recoup from three weeks of non-stop racing and move to defend his title in the Tour of Germany.

Immediately following the Tour, Leipheimer called Specialized to announce his transfer to the Discovery Channel team, effective 1/1/07. "My best results, wins at the Tour of Germany and Dauphine Libere, happened on my S-Works Tarmac SL, but Discovery (Channel) made me an offer I could not refuse. The hardest part about my decision is leaving my family at Specialized. Words can?t express how much I appreciate the people, products and support I?ve received. I?ll miss you all very much." said Levi on Monday.

Specialized founder and president, Mike Sinyard, expressed his gratitude toward Levi. "We're very thankful for the time and victories that Levi gave us. Of course, we're going to miss him and wish him the best."

musette said:
"My manager Toni Rominger has received three offers, although none of those are from T-Mobile. I'd certainly like to continue riding with my team-mates.""

Klodie said above. If TM wants to keep Klodie, why haven't they made an offer to him, esp since he podiumed in the TdF and there were rumors Gerolsteiner was pursuing him? Is TM not interested in keeping Klodie at the salary that Klodie is likely to demand?
And Kesssler said yesterday that he didn't decide yet for which team he wants to ride next year... he would prefer riding in a team with jan Ullrich... or ... Klöden..

JRMDC said:
Vaitkus is an interesting pickup - perhaps a strong support rider in the classics for Hincapie, with potential to develop if Gusev does not? A younger replacement for the Hoste slot? Some decent results on top of the Giro stage win:

http://www.ag2r-cyclisme.com/fiche-tomas-vaitkus.asp
The other signing is Sergio Paulihno (Astana) and he is... suspended at the moment because of the operation Puerto.....

cyclingheroes said:
And Kesssler said yesterday that he didn't decide yet for which team he wants to ride next year... he would prefer riding in a team with jan Ullrich... or ... Klöden..
It sounds like the whole T-Mobile team is falling apart. Soon Mick Rogers will be the only one left.

whiteboytrash said:
DC are more stupid than I thought they were.... do they honestly expect to do anything with Levi ? Hincapie has more charisma than Levi.... a low-carb vegetarian diet has more charisma than Levi..... what are DC thinking... I honestly cannot believe that this is a "big new signing"...... its diabolic, shambolic and constitutes nothing short of disarray.... what a sorry state of affairs....

Haha, listen to these jokes from RJbora @ dailypelotonforums:

Discovery should have a good Tour next year. They will be able to use Levi and Hincapie as a double threat.

But not Danielson - you don't want to throw the young lad into the fray too soon. He will be at the Tour in '07, but only to learn.

:D instant classics!

:D

Bjørn P.Dal said:
But not Danielson - you don't want to throw the young lad into the fray too soon. He will be at the Tour in '07, but only to learn.

:D instant classics!

:D
young lad learning??? He was born March 13, 1978 !!! With 29 learning at the Tour??? Are you kidding? Maybe he can learn to be a domestique at the TdF 2007...

We should not write Tommy D.'s GT potential off to quickly. There is always a chance the other contenders could all come down with a bad case of diarrhea--well, maybe not. We learned from the Tour of Austria that they would get off their bikes, take care of business, remount, and still beat Danielson to the top of a climb.

musette said:
"My manager Toni Rominger has received three offers, although none of those are from T-Mobile. I'd certainly like to continue riding with my team-mates.""

Klodie said above. If TM wants to keep Klodie, why haven't they made an offer to him, esp since he podiumed in the TdF and there were rumors Gerolsteiner was pursuing him? Is TM not interested in keeping Klodie at the salary that Klodie is likely to demand?

That statement made by Kloden - was made several weeks ago prior to his TDF result.

limerickman said:
That statement made by Kloden - was made several weeks ago prior to his TDF result.
correct but he repeated it a couple of times at the end and after the TdF...

cyclingheroes said:
correct but he repeated it a couple of times at the end and after the TdF...

Thanks.

I would have thought that TM would have been rushing to get his signature after the TDF

limerickman said:
Thanks.

I would have thought that TM would have been rushing to get his signature after the TDF
Yes but Andreas is really angry about TM sacking Ullrich and although he is a pro he is also a good friend of JU. Chanches are 50/50 i would say but the rumour in the peloton is that Klöden will go to Gerolsteiner. Kessler also said he doesn't know where he will race next year, but he said he would like t be in a team with Ullrich (he said that on german tv yesterday)

cyclingheroes said:
Yes but Andreas is really angry about TM sacking Ullrich and although he is a pro he is also a good friend of JU. Chanches are 50/50 i would say but the rumour in the peloton is that Klöden will go to Gerolsteiner. Kessler also said he doesn't know where he will race next year, but he said he would like t be in a team with Ullrich (he said that on german tv yesterday)

TM's decision to suspend JU - has annoyed what remains of their team.

One can help thinking that in TM's wish to be seen to be whiter than white, that they may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, as they say.

McQuaid said it that not all of the 58 riders could be accused of doping in the OP report.
One still wonders why TM removed JU and Sevilla.

Have you ever met Kloden, CH?
If you have - can you tell us what type of guy he is?

limerickman said:
TM's decision to suspend JU - has annoyed what remains of their team.

One can help thinking that in TM's wish to be seen to be whiter than white, that they may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, as they say.

McQuaid said it that not all of the 58 riders could be accused of doping in the OP report.
One still wonders why TM removed JU and Sevilla.

Have you ever met Kloden, CH?
If you have - can you tell us what type of guy he is?
I met him twice but very short. I also saw him at a few TM pressconferences. He is a nice person, intelligent as well but also a very... hmm what we call warm person (like Jan). He has ambition and is an absolut freak when it comes to training (where Andreas is training, the notebook is never far away, sitting there and analysing the srm data). Sometimes i think Andreas misses the psychological strenght to be a real big one (which doesn't mean that he is psychological weak - he is not LA or Merckx or...), that's the role Kessler is playing in the team (he is more the Bölts/Heppner kind of guy and more important for the team than a lot of people are aware of). Kessler has a very strong head.