Discovery Team to Announce big new signing!

cyclingheroes said:
I met him twice but very short. I also saw him at a few TM pressconferences. He is a nice person, intelligent as well but also a very... hmm what we call warm person (like Jan). He has ambition and is an absolut freak when it comes to training (where Andreas is training, the notebook is never far away, sitting there and analysing the srm data). Sometimes i think Andreas misses the psychological strenght to be a real big one (which doesn't mean that he is psychological weak - he is not LA or Merckx or...), that's the role Kessler is playing in the team (he is more the Bölts/Heppner kind of guy and more important for the team than a lot of people are aware of). Kessler has a very strong head.

Thanks.

Yeah I've picked that up about AK : he's a technophobe (loves technology) and therefore he trains just so that he can load his training data in to his PC!

I am surprised to read that he's a warm person - he always looks rather serious.
But never judge a book by it's cover!

limerickman said:
Thanks.

Yeah I've picked that up about AK : he's a technophobe (loves technology) and therefore he trains just so that he can load his training data in to his PC!

I am surprised to read that he's a warm person - he always looks rather serious.
But never judge a book by it's cover!
He is a mix of warm and serious i would say.

It's curious how Kloden, Jan, Zabel and Voigt when interviewed all still refer to the Berlin Cycling school.

Zabel for example when questioned about his leaving TM for Milram and the rumour of a fallout with Jan, stated "the bond of the Berlin Cycling School will never be broken...".
Same with Voigt "we're all products of the Berlin Cycling school".
Kloden "myself and Jan started our great friendship through our time in Berlin".

It's something I find fascinating, to be honest!

limerickman said:
It's curious how Kloden, Jan, Zabel and Voigt when interviewed all still refer to the Berlin Cycling school.

Zabel for example when questioned about his leaving TM for Milram and the rumour of a fallout with Jan, stated "the bond of the Berlin Cycling School will never be broken...".
Same with Voigt "we're all products of the Berlin Cycling school".
Kloden "myself and Jan started our great friendship through our time in Berlin".

It's something I find fascinating, to be honest!
Yes it is it could have something to do with the devided Germany (there is no wall anymore but Germany is still devided)

cyclingheroes said:
correct but he repeated it a couple of times at the end and after the TdF...

Yes, and Eurosport carried the quote in a news article dated July 24.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto931327.shtml

Career Highlights
2001 Vuelta a Espana, Overall - 3rd Place
2001 World Championships, Time Trial - 4th Place
2002 Route du Sud, Overall - 1st Place
2004 Setmana Catalana, Stage 4, 1st Place
2005 Tour of Germany, 1st Place Overall and Stage Winner
2005 Dauphine Libere, 3rd Overall
2005 Tour of Georgia, 2nd Overall
2006 Tour of California Prologue, 1st Place

Above is Levi's career highlights summary from his own website. Doesn't bode particularly well for his winning the TdF in the next two years. :(

OK, got an answer back.
Jan, yes Jan Ullrich has been in contact with Discovery and will probably sign with them if he can clear his name.
He plans to make a comeback and win the TDF in 2007.
The plot thickens!!! I know this is not as big as the Leipheimer news but it's all I have right now.

jhuskey said:
OK, got an answer back.
Jan, yes Jan Ullrich has been in contact with Discovery and will probably sign with them if he can clear his name.
The plot thickens!!! I know this is not as big as the Leipheimer news but it's all I have right now.
wow.. now THAT would be interesting. Actually, I'm just hoping to see the guy race again (if he turns out to be innocent).

Yes not very big but the Levi news is HUGE !

jhuskey said:
OK, got an answer back.

Mansmind said:
wow.. now THAT would be interesting. Actually, I'm just hoping to see the guy race again (if he turns out to be innocent).

That is what he is working on right now and yes it will be, but this has been a possibility for a while.
Jan's contract ended with T-mobile this season and he would have probably ridden one more season and retired but the firing changed everything.
I thought he was finished but (IF) he can clear his name he is a marketable commodity who was robbed of his chance at the 2006 TDF.
Hype and drama I can see it all now.

Haha, just imagine this board if JU signs for DSC. I mean, what will happen to the whole DSC vs JU posters. It would be a cataclysmic event...a Berlin Wall Breakdown Part 2. Just having Musette cheer or praise JU would be :eek:

jhuskey said:
OK, got an answer back.

I could never imagine Ullrich cycling with any team other than a German team.

I base this on the view that it is said that JU prefers to be based as close to home as possible and that he prefers the German ethos.

Perhaps, what happened at TM has made him change his outlook.

limerickman said:

I base this on the view that it is said that JU prefers to be based as close to home as possible and that he prefers the German ethos.

Nothing in stone as yet but they are talking. I will send you a PM on my take.

JensCph said:
Haha, just imagine this board if JU signs for DSC. I mean, what will happen to the whole DSC vs JU posters. It would be a cataclysmic event...a Berlin Wall Breakdown Part 2. Just having Musette cheer or praise JU would be :eek:

The irony is spellbinding. If this happens it could make the Middle East conflict look like baby stuff.

jhuskey said:
The irony is spellbinding. If this happens it could make the Middle East conflict look like baby stuff.

Its Levi, and as I keep saying JU's career is over. As much as everyone wants to hope beyond hope, he won't race another race. Neither will Tyler. Basso may have a chance.

davidbod said:
Its Levi, and as I keep saying JU's career is over. As much as everyone wants to hope beyond hope, he won't race another race. Neither will Tyler. Basso may have a chance.
Yeah Levi will be a great domestique for the Tour:p

Levi might surprise everyone next year.

I suspect he used all he had to win the Dauphine since he thought Basso and Jan would simply destroy the field.

Thanks to mr. Fuentes it didn´t happen.

But he had already wasted all he had to one that title, that is, after all, a very nice title.

He also lost the Tour de Georgia by some ridiculous seconds to big Floyd, and in 2005 it also happened, but to Danielson.

For now he´ll try to defend his Germany title. while gemans wonder what happened to their big star that never will ride for Discovery.

Sorry.

limerickman said:

Jan enjoys North America. He can disappear into the woodwork. I believe he used to do some training in California. After his problems in 2002 he spent some time at Whistler -- a ski resort north of Vancouver on Canada's west coast. Apparently, he very much appreciated the fact that only two people recognized him his entire time in Canada.

He does like the US and he and Klodi bought baseball glove armchairs and had them shipped home ! CycleSport 2004 shows the picture of Klodi sitting in his ! Very funny... Jan had a great time.....

bauerfan said:
Jan enjoys North America. He can disappear into the woodwork. I believe he used to do some training in California. After his problems in 2002 he spent some time at Whistler -- a ski resort north of Vancouver on Canada's west coast. Apparently, he very much appreciated the fact that only two people recognized him his entire time in Canada.

whiteboytrash said:
He does like the US and he and Klodi bought baseball glove armchairs and had them shipped home ! CycleSport 2004 shows the picture of Klodi sitting in his ! Very funny... Jan had a great time.....

I can't see Ullrich going to DC : Ullrich will want the entourage with him and I can't see DC agreeing to this.
Pevenage went with Jan to Coast and then Bianchi and then back to TM.
Can anyone seriously consider Ullrich and Pevanage splitting? I can't.