Discovery Uniform- oops!

On Feb 20, 3:18 pm, "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 4:00?pm, "Razor" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 20, 1:31 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > That's how they are supposed to look.

> > >http://shopping.discovery.com/DiscoveryStore/images/products/altimage...

> > > Bob Schwartz

> > Yes, I am sure they meant to design it that way. ?The point is, they
> > didn't consider how it would look best in the riding position. ?Had
> > they flipped the logo, it still would have looked ok while the rider
> > is standing (as your pic indicates) but would have looked much more
> > appropriate for viewing from the side in the riding position. ?Any
> > designer of racing uniforms will tell you the goal is to promote the
> > sponsor logos in the riding position. ?It is a racing uniform, not a
> > shirt you'd wear around town, so it should be designed with that in
> > mind.

> This was done intentionally. In the navy, when a ship is in distress,
> it flies the flag upside down to signal for help. In bike racing,
> when a team loses a major sponsor, it displays its logo upside down to
> $$ignal for help

Excellent!!!

On Feb 20, 8:44 pm, FasTrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2007 10:35:38 -0800, "Razor" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
> >used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
> >from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
> >designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
> >caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
> >(because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
> >best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
> >department) should have caught it.

> Actually it is correct for european TV with cameras left side of the
> ride. Looks strange but not a missed graphic...

I doubt that was their intention. If that was the case, they would
have placed the logo on the LEFT side and the globe on the RIGHT side.
Even if the camera is showing riders from the left side of the group,
you barely if any see the Discovery logo. Look at the pics on
cyclingnews taken from the left side, the globe is only visible.

Razor wrote:
> Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
> used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
> from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
> designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
> caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
> (because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
> best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
> department) should have caught it.

I thought your post was supposed to be funny and still hope it is.

I find the jersey to be one of the best new jerseys in the peloton, even
if it's a little heavy on the black for me.
The double logo is cool. Upside down? Put away your pocket protectors
and set your mind free!

Right side -> http://tinyurl.com/2uroba
- Full Discovery logo on white on blue
- full Discovery logo huge white on black
- full Discovery logo huge white on black. Upside down - OMG!!!!
- full Discovery logo on helmet
- partial Discovery logo on wrist
- partial Discovery logo on bicep
and out of picture..
- full Discovery logo on thigh
- full Discovery logo on downtube

left side -> http://tinyurl.com/2lx4a3
- Ditto to all except Globes instead of the evil "mirror" logo (which is
damn cool)

WeaselPoopPower wrote:

> Razor wrote:
>> Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
>> used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
>> from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
>> designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
>> caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
>> (because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
>> best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
>> department) should have caught it.
>>

> I thought your post was supposed to be funny and still hope it is.
>
> I find the jersey to be one of the best new jerseys in the peloton, even
> if it's a little heavy on the black for me.
> The double logo is cool. Upside down? Put away your pocket protectors
> and set your mind free!

Is there any chance they realized that the best shots are from the helo
and moto and the "upside down" printing looks better when viewed from above
and/or behind?

--
Bill Asher

Razor wrote:
> I doubt that was their intention. If that was the case, they would
> have placed the logo on the LEFT side and the globe on the RIGHT side.
> Even if the camera is showing riders from the left side of the group,
> you barely if any see the Discovery logo. Look at the pics on
> cyclingnews taken from the left side, the globe is only visible.

Razor, this is FasTrack on one of several rides he did with DSC a few weeks
ago...

http://velogal.smugmug.com/gallery/2409408#126317152

Maybe they talked about it.

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

William Asher wrote:
> WeaselPoopPower wrote:
>
>> Razor wrote:
>>> Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
>>> used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
>>> from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
>>> designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
>>> caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
>>> (because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
>>> best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
>>> department) should have caught it.
>>>

>> I thought your post was supposed to be funny and still hope it is.
>>
>> I find the jersey to be one of the best new jerseys in the peloton, even
>> if it's a little heavy on the black for me.
>> The double logo is cool. Upside down? Put away your pocket protectors
>> and set your mind free!

> Is there any chance they realized that the best shots are from the helo
> and moto and the "upside down" printing looks better when viewed from above
> and/or behind?

The best shots are arms raised at the finish line or on the podium where
you get Discovery and the Globe. That's the shots that make mainstream
print, TV and online coverage. During the race there's plenty of Disco
logos to consume for all the viewers.... RBR and three drunk guys who
just woke up on the couch and haven't realized Bull fighting is over yet.

On Feb 21, 11:14 am, WeaselPoopPower <wea...@****.ca> wrote:
> Razor wrote:
> > Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
> > used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
> > from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
> > designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
> > caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
> > (because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
> > best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
> > department) should have caught it.

> I thought your post was supposed to be funny and still hope it is.
>
> I find the jersey to be one of the best new jerseys in the peloton, even
> if it's a little heavy on the black for me.
> The double logo is cool. Upside down? Put away your pocket protectors
> and set your mind free!
>
> Right side ->http://tinyurl.com/2uroba
> - Full Discovery logo on white on blue
> - full Discovery logo huge white on black
> - full Discovery logo huge white on black. Upside down - OMG!!!!
> - full Discovery logo on helmet
> - partial Discovery logo on wrist
> - partial Discovery logo on bicep
> and out of picture..
> - full Discovery logo on thigh
> - full Discovery logo on downtube
>
> left side ->http://tinyurl.com/2lx4a3
> - Ditto to all except Globes instead of the evil "mirror" logo (which is
> damn cool)

Actually my original post wasn't meant to be funny but just an
observation. It is funny to me that the placement of the logo
direction will only work when riders are standing or for helicopter/
crane shots. I actually like the black too.

On Feb 21, 11:37 am, William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:
> WeaselPoopPower wrote:
> > Razor wrote:
> >> Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
> >> used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
> >> from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
> >> designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
> >> caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
> >> (because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
> >> best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
> >> department) should have caught it.

> > I thought your post was supposed to be funny and still hope it is.

> > I find the jersey to be one of the best new jerseys in the peloton, even
> > if it's a little heavy on the black for me.
> > The double logo is cool. Upside down? Put away your pocket protectors
> > and set your mind free!

> Is there any chance they realized that the best shots are from the helo
> and moto and the "upside down" printing looks better when viewed from above
> and/or behind?
>
> --
> Bill Asher

Could be. I don't see many Euro live feeds of races, but how much
footage is shot from the helo that would be close enough to show that
logo? The moto could possibly show it if the moto is on the left side
of the riders since the cameraman on the moto is usually sitting up
higher than the riders. The lasting images of any rider/race are
photos, not television images.

On 21 Feb 2007 19:37:01 GMT, William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there any chance they realized that the best shots are from the helo
>and moto and the "upside down" printing looks better when viewed from above
>and/or behind?

Maybe they simply felt that there would be shots where the logos would
be cut off and if they all started from the same end, all you would
see is "covery" over and over. This way you would see the beginning
and end of the logo, given half a chance. And they only want viewers
that can put "Disc" and "covery" together and figure it out.

Or maybe its for the Livedrunk crowd. Not everyone is able to stand up
and see things right side up. If so, thanks, but it wasn't necessary -
we're used to reading things ass backwards from ground level.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Feb 21, 12:49 pm, WeaselPoopPower <wea...@****.ca> wrote:
> William Asher wrote:
> > WeaselPoopPower wrote:

> >> I thought your post was supposed to be funny and still hope it is.

> >> I find the jersey to be one of the best new jerseys in the peloton, even
> >> if it's a little heavy on the black for me.
> >> The double logo is cool. Upside down? Put away your pocket protectors
> >> and set your mind free!

> > Is there any chance they realized that the best shots are from the helo
> > and moto and the "upside down" printing looks better when viewed from above
> > and/or behind?

> The best shots are arms raised at the finish line or on the podium where
> you get Discovery and the Globe. That's the shots that make mainstream
> print, TV and online coverage. During the race there's plenty of Disco
> logos to consume for all the viewers.... RBR and three drunk guys who
> just woke up on the couch and haven't realized Bull fighting is over yet.

I think it looks fine. There's plenty of logos
to read. It's sideways in the podium shot and
nobody has an issue with that.

Learn to read upside down, people. It is a
useful survival skill.

Ben

On Feb 21, 11:58 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Feb 21, 12:49 pm, WeaselPoopPower <wea...@****.ca> wrote:
>

> > William Asher wrote:

> > > Is there any chance they realized that the best shots are from the helo
> > > and moto and the "upside down" printing looks better when viewed from above
> > > and/or behind?

> > The best shots are arms raised at the finish line or on the podium where
> > you get Discovery and the Globe. That's the shots that make mainstream
> > print, TV and online coverage. During the race there's plenty of Disco
> > logos to consume for all the viewers.... RBR and three drunk guys who
> > just woke up on the couch and haven't realized Bull fighting is over yet.

> I think it looks fine. There's plenty of logos
> to read. It's sideways in the podium shot and
> nobody has an issue with that.
>
> Learn to read upside down, people. It is a
> useful survival skill.
>
> Ben

I don't have a problem with it being read upside down either. We are
only talking about the one on the back, the one of the front looks
fine for Podium shots. The rear logo text being read upside down is
fine too, but it should be flipped or moved to the left side for more
viewing options.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2007 11:16:16 -0800, "Scott" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 11:35 am, "Razor" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Anyone notice that the word DISCOVERY on the back of the skinsuits
>>> used by the Discovery team in the TOC reads upside down when viewed
>>> from the side? Pretty big oversight on the part of the graphic
>>> designer, maybe they'll reprint new ones. I wonder why it wasn't
>>> caught before final art approval. Even if the artist didn't catch it
>>> (because they don't necessarily have experience with how logos are
>>> best viewed in riding position), the manufacturer (or in house art
>>> department) should have caught it.

>> First thing I thought of when I saw a Disco rider, too. Major faux
>> pas, but probably a function of them using a stock logo without going
>> through the thought process to determine if that logo would work well
>> for that application.
>>
>> Very bush league! Now that they've seen those uniforms in the media,
>> I wonder if they'll fix 'em.

> They will.

Just wear the jerseys backward. Problem solved.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2007 11:30:36 -0800, "Razor" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I would
>> think that Nike could make a new run of jerseys in a couple of weeks
>> so there is no excuse to correct those.

> Two days plus delivery if necessary. You can do just about anything if
> you enough money.

And the testicles to spend it.