Discovery's fall season and Tour of Lombardy team

On Oct 18, 3:16 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Discovery's fall season and Tour of Lombardy team
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/oct07/lombardia07/?
> id=startlist )
>
> It's really quite a shame that Discovery is not using some their best
> riders for the fall season. I wonder if Bruyneel is holding back some
> of his riders for Astana...?? This is a disservice to their existing
> sponsor Discovery.

If my memory serves me well, you've been pretty outspoken against
Bruyneel and the Discovery Channel team for awhile, so it doesn't
surprise me you see it that way.

But, have you considered that maybe he's giving those riders who are
still looking for jobs one last chance to impress team managers who
may be interested in them???

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Discovery's fall season and Tour of Lombardy team
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/oct07/lombardia07/?
> id=startlist )
>
> It's really quite a shame that Discovery is not using some their best
> riders for the fall season. I wonder if Bruyneel is holding back some
> of his riders for Astana...?? This is a disservice to their existing
> sponsor Discovery.

Isn't it about the same group of riders that were active at this time last
year?

On Oct 18, 3:28 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 3:16 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Discovery's fall season and Tour of Lombardy team
> > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/oct07/lombardia07/?
> > id=startlist )

> > It's really quite a shame that Discovery is not using some their best
> > riders for the fall season. I wonder if Bruyneel is holding back some
> > of his riders for Astana...?? This is a disservice to their existing
> > sponsor Discovery.

> If my memory serves me well, you've been pretty outspoken against
> Bruyneel and the Discovery Channel team for awhile, so it doesn't
> surprise me you see it that way.

That's a distinct possibility, but his first responsibility is to
produce victories for team and good publicity.for the team. Personally
I don't understand why more stars don't try an win the fall classics.
Usually the top riders have ended their season.

On Oct 19, 12:49 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 3:28 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 18, 3:16 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Discovery's fall season and Tour of Lombardy team
> > > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/oct07/lombardia07/?
> > > id=startlist )

> > > It's really quite a shame that Discovery is not using some their best
> > > riders for the fall season. I wonder if Bruyneel is holding back some
> > > of his riders for Astana...?? This is a disservice to their existing
> > > sponsor Discovery.

> > If my memory serves me well, you've been pretty outspoken against
> > Bruyneel and the Discovery Channel team for awhile, so it doesn't
> > surprise me you see it that way.

> That's a distinct possibility, but his first responsibility is to
> produce victories for team and good publicity.for the team. Personally
> I don't understand why more stars don't try an win the fall classics.
> Usually the top riders have ended their season.
>

> > But, have you considered that maybe he's giving those riders who are
> > still looking for jobs one last chance to impress team managers who
> > may be interested in them???- Hide quoted text -

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the folks at Discovery
Channel don't really care about Lombardia.

Scott wrote:-

> If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the folks at Discovery
> Channel don't really care about Lombardia.

Not to mention there never was a Discovery rider who in their best day
had a chance of taking this Monument. Gusev had a go last year, Rubiera
the year before that... but they were just no-hoper suicide moves.

I am not so sure. Rubiera or Contador would seem like likely
contenders. I just think that a team needs to make the best out of a
season. After all it's a way to go out for Discovery.

On Oct 19, 9:42 am, Geraard Spergen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Scott wrote:-
>
> > If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the folks at Discovery
> > Channel don't really care about Lombardia.

> Not to mention there never was a Discovery rider who in their best day
> had a chance of taking this Monument. Gusev had a go last year, Rubiera
> the year before that... but they were just no-hoper suicide moves.

> I am not so sure. Rubiera or Contador would seem like likely
> contenders. I just think that a team needs to make the best out of a
> season. After all it's a way to go out for Discovery.

I'd say that a Tour win was a pretty good "way out" for Discovery, wouldn't you?

--
tanx,
Howard

Faberge eggs are elegant but I prefer Faberge bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

I agree that winning the TDF is the biggest achievement a team can
have. But a team still owes it's sponsor the maximum results
regardless if the team is coming to a end or not.

On Oct 19, 8:19 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I am not so sure. Rubiera or Contador would seem like likely
> > contenders. I just think that a team needs to make the best out of a
> > season. After all it's a way to go out for Discovery.

> I'd say that a Tour win was a pretty good "way out" for Discovery, wouldn't you?
>
> --
> tanx,
> Howard
>
> Faberge eggs are elegant but I prefer Faberge bacon.
>
> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> I agree that winning the TDF is the biggest achievement a team can
> have. But a team still owes it's sponsor the maximum results
> regardless if the team is coming to a end or not.
>
> On Oct 19, 8:19 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >
> > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I am not so sure. Rubiera or Contador would seem like likely
> > > contenders. I just think that a team needs to make the best out of a
> > > season. After all it's a way to go out for Discovery.

> > I'd say that a Tour win was a pretty good "way out" for Discovery,
> > wouldn't you?

Hizark: the Discovery Channel can hardly care what happens in Lombardy.
Every sponsor they have will surely chalk this season up as a job well
done, barring some last-minute doping scandal.

Well, some other doping scandal.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

> On Oct 19, 8:19 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >
> > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I am not so sure. Rubiera or Contador would seem like likely
> > > contenders. I just think that a team needs to make the best out of a
> > > season. After all it's a way to go out for Discovery.

> > I'd say that a Tour win was a pretty good "way out" for Discovery,
> > wouldn't you?

> I agree that winning the TDF is the biggest achievement a team can
> have. But a team still owes it's sponsor the maximum results
> regardless if the team is coming to a end or not.

That's true, but has Discovery ever really hinted at any serious degree of
interest in the last few races of the year? Not really so it probably doesn't matter
that much to that sponsor. Besides, I'd say Scott was correct in pointing out that
they were giving a few other riders a chance to do something to get themselves
noticed and a possible contract for the next season.

--

On Oct 21, 9:36 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree that winning the TDF is the biggest achievement a team can
> have. But a team still owes it's sponsor the maximum results
> regardless if the team is coming to a end or not.

The team owes its sponsors whatever they've agreed to in their
contract. Maximum results in the last race of the year may not have
ever been a consideration. Hell, maximum results may not have been a
consideration for any race. The sponsors get their ROI in lots of
ways, and race placings other than first place aren't that big a deal
when it comes to sponsor exposure in the ProTour.

You've made your point. Few people agree with you. Can we move on
now?

On Oct 22, 4:04 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
(CH wrote):

> > I agree that winning the TDF is the biggest achievement a team can
> > have. But a team still owes it's sponsor the maximum results
> > regardless if the team is coming to a end or not.

(SH replied):
> The team owes its sponsors whatever they've agreed to in their
> contract.

Or talked about in various meetings, whatever.

US Postal was one of the most successful racing teams ever. Discovery
did OK, too, in terms of (ahem) "what did we want, what did we get?"

Last show? Tour of Missouri. Overall, two stage wins.

Look up the "Disco bye bye" photos, taken at ToM. Standing tall. Like
you should when you bring a contract to a successful close.

End of story. Or, chapter.

George Hincapie wins '08 Paris-Roubaix? Wouldn't that just harelip the
Pope, so to speak? --D-y