Diseases caused by sugar poisoning (1910)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by TC, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Diseases caused by sugar poisoning (1910)
    By George M. Gould, M.D. of Ithaca, N.Y.
    First Published in MEDICAL REVIEW OF REVIEWS - July 1910

    Here's an article written in 1910 that predicted the problems Americans
    would have with high sugar, refined flour diets.

    -----

    It has lately been urged, and from a medical standpoint, that everyone
    could eat any amount of sugar, saccharine foods, candy, and starchy
    foods, not only without harm to health, but with positive physiologic
    advantage. In view of the five hundred millions of dollars said to be
    expended annually in sugar by the United States, and in view of the
    little known---probably more suspected---as to the evils and causes of
    the prevalence of diabetes, such nonsense should need no argument to
    make its fallacy evident.

    Almost every second store and shop in our villages and cities is a
    candy store, and common sense and common observation knows well enough
    the morbid results. Out of the American debauch in candy and sweets,
    breakfast-foods and sugar, wheat-cakes and molasses, we shall later
    have to win our way to health and good dietetic sense with painful
    experience.

    The exacting questions, of course, remain: As to long-continued morbid
    habits of diet, especially in the case of children and city-dwellers;
    with the sedentary, in those with weakened nervous and nutritional
    systems, when coexisting with other diseases, or in the cases of other
    active and co-operating causes of disease.

    For several years it has been growing clearer to me that many patients
    do not get well because they live too exclusively on sugary and starchy
    foods. With greater activity and the resisting power of youth, children
    exhibit the morbid tendency by excessive "nervousness." denutrition,
    ease-of-becoming ill, and by many ague and warning symptoms. I have
    asked the parents of such children to stop them in their use of all
    sweets, and most starches and almost immediately there was a most
    gratifying disappearance of the "nervousness," fickleness of appetite,
    "colds," and vague manifold ailments.

    In another class of patients it was this way: There was only an
    incomplete disappearance of those symptoms generally due to eyestrain
    or back strain. With the correction of eyestrain, for instance, there
    was a sudden disappearance of the chief complaints, but followed by a
    provoking return of some of them. There was only, say, a three-fourth
    of non-cure remaining to torment. In such cases I exact a promise that
    for one or two months sugar and sweets shall be absolutely
    discontinued, and of the starches, the least possible use (no potatoes,
    surely)---a little toasted brown bread only, for instance.

    How many patients have blessed me for the suggestion, and have traced
    to the continued rules, their reinstated health and enjoyment of life.
    Those who have learned to recognize the value of such hygienic
    preventions of disease will test the suggestion; those who observe only
    the organic end-products in aberrant physiology and morbid function.
    Fashionable pathology concerns itself only with terminal disease,
    apparently oblivious of pathogenesis, and most of all, careless of the
    early and slight origins which led to mortem and post-mortem. It is
    left to chance and to faddism to make scientific the infinitely more
    important function of prevention.

    But the evil effects of sugar-drowning will sometimes be recognized as
    still more important and varied than I have said. Among others, I have
    had two cases in which it was clear that a too exclusive or an
    exaggerated diet of sugary foods was a cause of epilepsy. The first was
    that of a boy of nine years of age in which correction of eyestrain
    brought no relief of both petit and grand mal attacks. Then by diligent
    inquiry I learned that the boy (who was morbidly nervous...almost
    insanely active) ate no meats, eggs, vegetables, etc., and lived,
    practically, on "cakes," a little breakfast food, etc., with enormous
    quantities of sugar, syrups, etc. Recovery followed a diet list which
    excluded the sweets.

    Another patient, aged fifty-five, has been having many petit mal
    attacks for thirteen years, with occasional, typical grand mal
    seizures. He was a watchmaker, and wearing no correction of his
    compound hyperopic astiginatism. I found that he ate sweets
    inordinately, which, upon being interdicted, the attacks immediately
    grew less in number and severity, with no major ones, and the rare
    minor ones scarcely noticeable, until they disappeared and there was a
    return of hope, a zest in life; as he enthusiastically says, he "Feels
    like a new man now." In consideration of his age, the results are
    noteworthy.

    ----

    This article was printed in Natural Ovens of Manitowoc, Wisconsin
    newsletter, "Natural News." Comments by Barbara Stitt, co-owner of
    Manitowoc Ovens and author of 'Food and Behavior': It is amazing that
    Dr. Gould described hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder so
    accurately 89 years ago in 1910. The refining of wheat flour had only
    reached the U.S. in the late 1800's! By ignoring the wise advice in
    1910, the people in our beautiful country spent over $1.3 trillion in
    medical care in 1995.

    TC

    Tags:

  2. Pickle-Head

    Pickle-Head Guest

    Dude!
    This is exactly what I am talking about! Misleading, inaccurate, or
    biased info.

    "...the people in our beautiful country spent over $1.3 trillion in
    medical care in 1995."

    1.3 Trillion? Are you kidding?
    Canada's Entire Gross Domestic Product for 2004 was only about 1.023
    trillion. And yes, you are Canadian, TC.
    (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ca.html#Econ)

    I could also point you to articles and/or studies that say sugar DOES
    NOT affect children's behavior. (Edmonton Journal, 2005) but I won't,
    since that too is not a proven fact.

    Stick to the facts.
    This isn't the National Enquirer.

    Or do you think that George Bush has a 2 headed alien love child?

  3. Greetings,

    I have an "Entertainment Guide" coupon for TCBY. It entitles me to
    purchase their largest product and receive another identical one for
    free. I think I am going to have a large Shiver(tm) with mint
    chocolate chip ice cream with blackberries and cheesecake pieces as a
    topping. Then I will have as much of the other one as I can possibly
    consume, place it in the freezer, and go right to sleep. When I wake
    up I will finish it off for breakfast.

    MMMMmmmmmmmmmm,
    William

  4. Ruby

    Ruby Guest

    "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Diseases caused by sugar poisoning (1910)
    > By George M. Gould, M.D. of Ithaca, N.Y.
    > First Published in MEDICAL REVIEW OF REVIEWS - July 1910
    >
    > Here's an article written in 1910 that predicted the problems Americans
    > would have with high sugar, refined flour diets.
    > -----

    Thank you for posting that excellent advice from 1910, which is relevant
    today.

    I solved my health problems by eliminating almost all starch and sugar. I
    look and feel 20 - 30 years younger, people ask me for my for "my secrets"
    or my plastic surgeon, or my health-spa, and look totally shocked when I
    tell them it's all about what you eat. My doctors are all surprised that I
    no longer take any meds except an occasional buffered aspirin. I went in
    for a check up yesterday.. 90/60, pulse 60, excellent lipids, a baby
    boomer with no need for glasses except for +1.00 reading glasses at the
    computer to reduce strain, 124-lbs @ 5' 6" and thick long hair with almost
    no gray.

    Ignore the sugar industry shills, or maybe they are AMA/Pharmaceutical
    Industry shills needing more sick customers, who are putting you down for
    this posting. Hopefully someone reading what you posted will be helped by
    applying it.

    Bravo, Ruby

  5. TC

    TC Guest

    Ruby wrote:
    > "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Diseases caused by sugar poisoning (1910)
    > > By George M. Gould, M.D. of Ithaca, N.Y.
    > > First Published in MEDICAL REVIEW OF REVIEWS - July 1910
    > >
    > > Here's an article written in 1910 that predicted the problems Americans
    > > would have with high sugar, refined flour diets.
    > > -----

    > Thank you for posting that excellent advice from 1910, which is relevant
    > today.
    >
    > I solved my health problems by eliminating almost all starch and sugar. I
    > look and feel 20 - 30 years younger, people ask me for my for "my secrets"
    > or my plastic surgeon, or my health-spa, and look totally shocked when I
    > tell them it's all about what you eat. My doctors are all surprised that I
    > no longer take any meds except an occasional buffered aspirin. I went in
    > for a check up yesterday.. 90/60, pulse 60, excellent lipids, a baby
    > boomer with no need for glasses except for +1.00 reading glasses at the
    > computer to reduce strain, 124-lbs @ 5' 6" and thick long hair with almost
    > no gray.
    >
    > Ignore the sugar industry shills, or maybe they are AMA/Pharmaceutical
    > Industry shills needing more sick customers, who are putting you down for
    > this posting. Hopefully someone reading what you posted will be helped by
    > applying it.
    >
    > Bravo, Ruby

    Thanks for the great feedback.

    And congratulations on resolving your health issues. You and I have
    that in common.

    Now, how do we get the professionals and experts, that are charged with
    our health care, to understand such a simple and fundamental concept
    when all their training has told them otherwise?

    TC

  6. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    You have found another gem.

    "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > grew less in number and severity, with no major ones, and the rare
    > minor ones scarcely noticeable, until they disappeared and there was a
    > return of hope, a zest in life; as he enthusiastically says, he "Feels
    > like a new man now." In consideration of his age, the results are
    > noteworthy.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > This article was printed in Natural Ovens of Manitowoc, Wisconsin
    > newsletter, "Natural News." Comments by Barbara Stitt, co-owner of
    > Manitowoc Ovens and author of 'Food and Behavior': It is amazing that
    > Dr. Gould described hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder so
    > accurately 89 years ago in 1910. The refining of wheat flour had only
    > reached the U.S. in the late 1800's! By ignoring the wise advice in
    > 1910, the people in our beautiful country spent over $1.3 trillion in

  7. Ruby

    Ruby Guest

    "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Ruby wrote:
    >> "TC" <tunderba[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > Diseases caused by sugar poisoning (1910)
    >> > By George M. Gould, M.D. of Ithaca, N.Y.
    >> > First Published in MEDICAL REVIEW OF REVIEWS - July 1910
    >> >
    >> > Here's an article written in 1910 that predicted the problems
    >> > Americans would have with high sugar, refined flour diets.
    >> > -----

    >> Thank you for posting that excellent advice from 1910, which is
    >> relevant today.

    [snip]
    >> Bravo, Ruby

    > Thanks for the great feedback.
    >
    > And congratulations on resolving your health issues. You and I have
    > that in common.
    >
    > Now, how do we get the professionals and experts, that are charged
    > with our health care, to understand such a simple and fundamental
    > concept when all their training has told them otherwise?
    >
    > TC

    most will be afraid it will hurt their earning power if too many people
    make better personal lifestyle, food and overall health choices. so it is
    best to start with the people and each one will tell their health care
    provider why they no longer need the drugs they are prescribing or why they
    can walk again or why they look better or why their aches and pains are
    gone.

    The physicians will take notes and observe, they might even go home and try
    it out. The older ones who are still in good shape, and who don't "bob"
    their heads around like those spring-necked dolls, already are practicing
    better nutrition, better lifestyle, better all around habits. They are the
    elder Dr. few that are still alive and not pot-bellied and arrogant.

    Generally speaking in my case the only ones who were obviously delighted
    with my improvement were my doctors who are also Professors of Medicine at
    a large Univ and had made a commitment to stay there and teach, do clinic,
    write and etc., and my chiropractor. The ones who were trying to move up
    to the high-rent district to make their extreme-bucks and buy their trophy
    homes did not want to hear it. LOL

  8. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    this). The other important thing is good quality amino protein.
    Because of the fear of "sugar," many people are eating "food" that has
    strong anti-nutritional properties (beans and whole grains,
    especially), as I learned from personal experience. This is like
    running away from a friendly toy poodle and into the mouth of a hungry
    tiger.

  9. joshv

    joshv Guest

    montygram wrote:
    > Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    > oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    > this).

    Really now? Fishing around PubMed I was able to ascertain that
    mildronate is effective in treating heart attack patients. It does
    this by forcing the heart muscle to preferentially burn glucose (which
    doesn't require oxygen), instead of burning fatty acids (which does
    require oxygen). This is great if you've just had a heart attack, as
    oxygen is probably in relatively short supply in your heart muscle.

    I have no idea what this has to do with glucose oxidation being 'safer'
    than fatty acid oxidation in people who haven't had a heart attack.
    Perhaps you could explain.

    > The other important thing is good quality amino protein.
    > Because of the fear of "sugar," many people are eating "food" that has
    > strong anti-nutritional properties (beans and whole grains,
    > especially), as I learned from personal experience.

    In my experience most people who have removed sugar from their diet
    also avoid most sources of carbohydrates, beans and grains included.
    The parent post of this thread was posted by TC, who frequents
    alt.support.diet.low-carb. No one there would ever suggest your
    replace sugar with beans and whole grains.

    > This is like
    > running away from a friendly toy poodle and into the mouth of a hungry
    > tiger.

  10. Ruby Teacup

    Ruby Teacup Guest

    "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    > oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    > this). The other important thing is good quality amino protein.
    > Because of the fear of "sugar," many people are eating "food" that has
    > strong anti-nutritional properties (beans and whole grains,
    > especially), as I learned from personal experience.

    Sorry, I haven't paid attention to what foods and lifestyle choices cause
    "fatty acid oxidation" What foods exactly? I don't think I do what
    causes it however. Maybe you know... (are you the one that hates
    sardines?? I don't study this group very much :)

    generally speaking I rarely consume grains or most starches such as
    potatoes. I enjoy the taste of red kidney beans and so will eat them once
    or twice a month in a home made chicken soap although I haven't had any all
    summer.. about 2 or 3 times a year I eat a typical pizza with lots of
    olive oil all over it otherwise I stay away from grains of any type and
    started doing this after reading the Acrylamide studies put out by the
    Swedish National Food Administration

    Usually we eat various types of animal protein and green vegetables,
    sufficient organic carrots for roughage and we always have organic apples
    in the house & once in a while (rarely) we will get sweeter fruit in
    season. We also use coconut oil, cold-pressed olive oil and sometimes
    butter. I drink about a pot of tea every morning

    I would rather not eat refined sugar as I feel better and see better the
    less I use although it is difficult to turn down a good dark chocolate
    candy bar which has NO corn syrup as that is almost impossible to find

  11. MattLB

    MattLB Guest

    montygram wrote:
    > Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    > oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    > this).

    Since glucose doesn't enter the mitochondria you're on shakey ground
    from the start. It's acetyl CoA that is the starting point for the
    oxidation actually in the mitochondria and there's no difference
    between acetyl CoA made from glucose or acetyl CoA made from fatty
    acids.

    > The other important thing is good quality amino protein.

    Acetyl CoA is also made from amino acids.

    MattLB

  12. "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    > oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    > this). The other important thing is good quality amino protein.
    > Because of the fear of "sugar," many people are eating "food" that has
    > strong anti-nutritional properties (beans and whole grains,
    > especially), as I learned from personal experience. This is like
    > running away from a friendly toy poodle and into the mouth of a hungry
    > tiger.

    Question: Why does beans have strong anti-nutritional
    properties?

  13. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:41:10 GMT, "George Lagergren"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"montygram" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    >> oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    >> this). The other important thing is good quality amino protein.
    >> Because of the fear of "sugar," many people are eating "food" that has
    >> strong anti-nutritional properties (beans and whole grains,
    >> especially), as I learned from personal experience. This is like
    >> running away from a friendly toy poodle and into the mouth of a hungry
    >> tiger.

    >Question: Why does beans have strong anti-nutritional properties?

    They don't. Beans are a great food.

  14. TC

    TC Guest

    Just Cocky wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:41:10 GMT, "George Lagergren"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >"montygram" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Glucose oxidation by mitochondria is much safer than fatty acid
    > >> oxidation (the mildronate/carnotine studies are clear evidence of
    > >> this). The other important thing is good quality amino protein.
    > >> Because of the fear of "sugar," many people are eating "food" that has
    > >> strong anti-nutritional properties (beans and whole grains,
    > >> especially), as I learned from personal experience. This is like
    > >> running away from a friendly toy poodle and into the mouth of a hungry
    > >> tiger.

    > >Question: Why does beans have strong anti-nutritional properties?
    > >

    > They don't. Beans are a great food.

    if you like constant low-level gastro-intestinal distress.

    TC