Disguising My Bike??

snaithbert

May 31, 2006
Hey there folks, can anyone give me any suggestions on how to make my bike appear a little crappier than it actually is, in order to deter thieves?

Short of actually destroying it, etc?

I was thinking maybe wrap tape around the frame or something.

Or am I just nuts?

Anyhow got any thoughts on this?

Rest assured they'd be greatly appreciated!

Snaithbert

I'd suggest shrink wrapping some black plastic garbage bags around the frame using a hair dryer, or a heat gun if you have one. It would look like s***, cause no permanent damage, and it would be easy enough to remove.

snaithbert said:
Hey there folks, can anyone give me any suggestions on how to make my bike appear a little crappier than it actually is, in order to deter thieves?

Short of actually destroying it, etc?

I was thinking maybe wrap tape around the frame or something.

Or am I just nuts?

Anyhow got any thoughts on this?

Rest assured they'd be greatly appreciated!

Snaithbert
I thought about this in the past ... and, what I came up with (but, have yet to actually implement) is to try some dilluted LIQUITEX Acyrilic (artist's) paint -- it may stick to canvas & other porous surfaces, but has dubious adhesion on smooth surfaces ...

My experience is that it will peel/rub off (depends on how thickly you put it on) smooth surfaces ... I think you may be able to dillute it enough that it can be used with a spray bottle ... regardless, WAX your frame first to facilitate cleaning the acrylic paint off.

TRY IT ON A NEUTRAL surface (e.g., tin can), FIRST!

Go to your local Christian book store, buy $10 worth of Jesus stickers, put them all over the bike. It works for a friend of mine with her car, she can park anywhere and leave the keys in the door!! :D Who knows, you may even start a revival.

mate... have been touring round oz and i found that if you get some cheap spray paint and grease from the chain of you bike and combine the 2 it makes a good bike look extra ****...

did it to mine whilst touring and was able to leave it unlocked and nobody ever touched it... made a new bike look 20 years old

I have a **** bike I would be only too happy to exchange for your nice one.

You wouldn't have any problems with it being stolen, and could rest assured that I'd be getting excellent value from your fine steed.

Drop me a line by email to arrange the swap.

:D

Wheelist.

snaithbert said:
Hey there folks, can anyone give me any suggestions on how to make my bike appear a little crappier than it actually is,
change your components from Campy to Shimano, usually does the trick.