Dish free rear wheels

JH

Guest
As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims for
rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that combines
the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved inward
("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost all
the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
offer both of these features?

JH wrote:
> As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims for
> rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that combines
> the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved inward
> ("Zero System" hub).

Joshua:

I would be wary of these wheels because of their hubs. I have seen a
significant number of complaints against them (here and there) - and -
you can get a pair on ebay for like $30. Not a good sign.

YMMV

App

JH wrote:
> As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims for
> rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that combines
> the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved inward
> ("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost all
> the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
> offer both of these features?

Track wheels, or 6-speed hubs respaced for 5-speed, are usually dish-free.

JH wrote:
> As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims for
> rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that combines
> the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved inward
> ("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost

all
> the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
> offer both of these features?

This doesn't exactly answer your question but American Classic has rear
hubs with the inward left flange claimed to eliminate dishing. Also,
Sheldon Brown's website did describe a method of using 126mm rear hubs
with extra axle spacers and 9s cassettes to eliminate most of the dish
when used on a 130mm bike. By using 9s spacing on a 7s hub you can get
8 gears. Don't know whether 10s spacing would get you 9 gears. I
believe I read there were clearance problems on 126mm spacing but don't
know if that would apply if used in 130mm spacing.

JH wrote:
> As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims for
> rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that combines
> the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved inward
> ("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost all
> the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
> offer both of these features?

[almost] removes dish, but the narrow hub spacing also removes lateral
stability making these wheels a shimmy nightmare. stay away from them.

-
> you can get a pair on ebay for like $30. Not a good sign.
>
> YMMV
>
> App

Anything specific about the hubs? What have you heard? They use
regular cartridge bearings.

Whells only need to be dished if the rear triangle is symetrical. See
"touring bicycles" by Tony Oliver for examples of non-symetrical bikes.
Phil Brown

jim beam wrote:
> JH wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims

for
> > rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that

combines
> > the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved

inward
> > ("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost

all
> > the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
> > offer both of these features?
> >

> [almost] removes dish, but the narrow hub spacing also removes

lateral
> stability making these wheels a shimmy nightmare. stay away from

them.

Is that true? Maybe wider flange spacing in the front, then, would help
to reduce front wheel shimmy.

Josh asked:

> Anything specific about the hubs? What have you heard? They use
> regular cartridge bearings.

Complaints about slop in non-adjustable bearings in addition to the
comments below.

App

jim beam wrote:
> JH wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims

for
> > rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that

combines
> > the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved

inward
> > ("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost

all
> > the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
> > offer both of these features?
> >

> [almost] removes dish, but the narrow hub spacing also removes

lateral
> stability making these wheels a shimmy nightmare. stay away from

them.

I have these wheels. I've experienced absolutely no "shimmy" from them
under any riding circumstances, including fast descents.

As far as durability goes, I've only had them for about six months so
can't say. They have stayed true after an initial touch-up and stress
relief.

App responded for the second time to Josh's question re: Ritchey Zero
wheel quality:

Search rec.bicycles.tech for ritchey wheels. You will turn up some
griping. Possibly sufficient to steer you away from them, possibly
not.

Good luck,

App

JH wrote:

> As far as I can tell, several manufacturers offer off-center rims for
> rear wheels. Ritchey is the only brand that I've seen that combines
> the OCR rear rim with a hub on which the left flange is moved inward
> ("Zero System" hub). Together, these two features eliminate almost
> all the dish in the rear wheel. Does anybody know of other brands that
> offer both of these features?

IIRC, some older Mavic hubs had narrower spaced flanges to minimize dish.
However, unless the left side tension is so low the spokes are going slack,
there's no benefit to this except easier building and truing. A narrower
bracing angle makes a wheel weaker, not stronger.

A better way to approach this problem is with a wider bracing angle on the right
(drive) side. Shimano hubs are very good in this respect.

Matt O.

philcycles wrote:

> Whells only need to be dished if the rear triangle is symetrical. See
> "touring bicycles" by Tony Oliver for examples of non-symetrical bikes.

It must be a nightmare to build a deliberately off-centre rear wheel
though. OK, start with the same length spoks each side, but do you put
the dishing tool on the flanges, or what? The dish still has to be
correct even if the rim isn't halfway between the locknuts.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> philcycles wrote:
>
> > Whells only need to be dished if the rear triangle is symetrical.

See
> > "touring bicycles" by Tony Oliver for examples of non-symetrical

bikes.

> It must be a nightmare to build a deliberately off-centre rear wheel
> though. OK, start with the same length spoks each side, but do you

put
> the dishing tool on the flanges, or what? The dish still has to be
> correct even if the rim isn't halfway between the locknuts.

No, not at all. 1mm difference in spoke length and just build. Checking
dish normally, it's just that the rim is offset to the right, so to get
it 'dished' ya gotta add tension to the left side spokes...The rim
sides are still in the same place relative to the hub.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>> philcycles wrote:
>>
>>> Whells only need to be dished if the rear triangle is symetrical.
>>> See "touring bicycles" by Tony Oliver for examples of
>>> non-symetrical bikes.
>>>

>> It must be a nightmare to build a deliberately off-centre rear wheel
>> though. OK, start with the same length spoks each side, but do you
>> put the dishing tool on the flanges, or what? The dish still has to
>> be correct even if the rim isn't halfway between the locknuts.

> No, not at all. 1mm difference in spoke length and just build.
> Checking dish normally, it's just that the rim is offset to the
> right, so to get it 'dished' ya gotta add tension to the left side
> spokes...The rim sides are still in the same place relative to the
> hub.

I think he was on about wheels for frames that are built with the dropouts
off center.

I guess you would have to know exactly the amount o/c and put a shim in
somewhere when you checked the dish.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK