dishing rear wheel

Cyclopath! - Keiron

Guest
hi all.

This is to be my first wheel build so bear with me. Already read sheldons
and some other such instructions but i'm still left a little confused. How
do you dish a real wheel?? My understanding of dishing was that each side
had to match according to the dish stick? How can this be so with both an
offset spoke arrangement and the hub body in the way. Similarly, if
redishing a threaded freewheel hub to centre how can i dish with the threads
in the way?? Have i missed the point? Please explain.

thanks

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:

> This is to be my first wheel build so bear with me. Already read sheldons
> and some other such instructions but i'm still left a little confused. How
> do you dish a real wheel?? My understanding of dishing was that each side
> had to match according to the dish stick? How can this be so with both an
> offset spoke arrangement and the hub body in the way. Similarly, if
> redishing a threaded freewheel hub to centre how can i dish with the threads
> in the way?? Have i missed the point? Please explain.

The rim needs to be centered between the hub locknuts. That will center
the rim in the frame. The rear rim is NOT centered between the hub
flanges.

The center of the dishing tool rests alternatively on the left and
right hub locknut (with the hub's quick release removed of course). The
outer ends of the dishing tool contacts the rim. You want to adjust the
center of the dishing tool such that when one end of the tool is held
against the rim, the other end is about 1 mm from the rim (so that you
can just barely "see-saw" the ends of the tool). Then when you put the
dishing tool on the other side of the wheel, there should be the same 1
mm gap. If the gap is greater on one side, then the spokes on that side
have to be tightened.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=82

Art Harris

Thanks Art, That makes infinite more sense than what i was attempting but
can you explain further what it is i'm supposed to do in the following
situation:

I need to centre this screw-on freewheel hub in order to use a singlespeed
bmx freewheel with it. i assumed that the rim would have to centred between
the flanges on this occassion (as effectively is a front wheel) thus pushing
the freewheel out towards the frame so that it would lie where the 5
sprocket usually does. is this correct? If so it would seem to preclude
usage of this dishing tool? Or have i missed something yet again?

Thanks

news:[email protected]...

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> hi all.
>
> This is to be my first wheel build so bear with me. Already read sheldons
> and some other such instructions but i'm still left a little confused. How
> do you dish a real wheel?? My understanding of dishing was that each side
> had to match according to the dish stick? How can this be so with both an
> offset spoke arrangement and the hub body in the way. Similarly, if
> redishing a threaded freewheel hub to centre how can i dish with the threads
> in the way?? Have i missed the point? Please explain.
>
> thanks

'Dishing' is ensuring the rim is centered between the axle ends..and
hence in the frame. Having a place for the cogset or freewheel doesn't
make any difference. The only thing you are centering is the rim and
the only reference is the axle ends, where they meet the frame.

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> Thanks Art, That makes infinite more sense than what i was attempting but
> can you explain further what it is i'm supposed to do in the following
> situation:
>
> I need to centre this screw-on freewheel hub in order to use a singlespeed
> bmx freewheel with it. i assumed that the rim would have to centred between
> the flanges on this occassion (as effectively is a front wheel) thus pushing
> the freewheel out towards the frame so that it would lie where the 5
> sprocket usually does. is this correct? If so it would seem to preclude
> usage of this dishing tool? Or have i missed something yet again?

Art gave an excellent description of how to use a dishing tool.

Since you're moving ("redishing") the hub to change from multiple
freewheel to single freewheel, it may be you're missing this step:

1. Change your hub's axle spacing (usually by adding and removing
spacers) so that (a) the freewheel threads are positioned where you
want (for your single speed freewheel) and (b) the over lock nut
dimension fits your frame.

Then follow Art's instructions to use the dishing tool.

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> hi all.
>
> This is to be my first wheel build so bear with me. Already read sheldons
> and some other such instructions but i'm still left a little confused. How
> do you dish a real wheel?? My understanding of dishing was that each side
> had to match according to the dish stick? How can this be so with both an
> offset spoke arrangement and the hub body in the way. Similarly, if
> redishing a threaded freewheel hub to centre how can i dish with the threads
> in the way?? Have i missed the point? Please explain.
>
> thanks

For me, it's easier to finish the dishing by putting the wheel on the
bike. You'll be able to see how far the wheel is off-center as it spins
between the chain-stays.

> Art gave an excellent description of how to use a dishing tool.
>
> Since you're moving ("redishing") the hub to change from multiple
> freewheel to single freewheel, it may be you're missing this step:
>
> 1. Change your hub's axle spacing (usually by adding and removing
> spacers) so that (a) the freewheel threads are positioned where you
> want (for your single speed freewheel) and (b) the over lock nut
> dimension fits your frame.
>
> Then follow Art's instructions to use the dishing tool.

Hi Dianne, Thanks. I should have been more comprehensive initially. I had
had read about this step but was further advised that spacing was less of an
issue if the hub was instead centred on the axel (solid axel), is this the
case or wheel this throw the wheel alignment out of sync? What i had
proposed to do, more precisely, is have the hub centre on the axel, the rim
centred to the flanges of the hub, then the bmx freewheel in place and then
the axel appropriately placed. Would this work or would it affect the wheel
alignment? i thought not (?) Or do i need to relocate the axel as is and
then follow arts description?

thanks

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
> > Art gave an excellent description of how to use a dishing tool.
> >
> > Since you're moving ("redishing") the hub to change from multiple
> > freewheel to single freewheel, it may be you're missing this step:
> >
> > 1. Change your hub's axle spacing (usually by adding and removing
> > spacers) so that (a) the freewheel threads are positioned where you
> > want (for your single speed freewheel) and (b) the over lock nut
> > dimension fits your frame.
> >
> > Then follow Art's instructions to use the dishing tool.
> >

> Hi Dianne, Thanks. I should have been more comprehensive initially. I had
> had read about this step but was further advised that spacing was less of an
> issue if the hub was instead centred on the axel (solid axel), is this the
> case or wheel this throw the wheel alignment out of sync? What i had
> proposed to do, more precisely, is have the hub centre on the axel, the rim
> centred to the flanges of the hub, then the bmx freewheel in place and then
> the axel appropriately placed. Would this work or would it affect the wheel
> alignment? i thought not (?) Or do i need to relocate the axel as is and
> then follow arts description?
>
> thanks

Keiron,

Here is the way I do this (set up a singlespeed rear wheel using a
typical freewheel hub, either existing or before it's built, and then
set up the bike as singlespeed using a BMX freewheel)
1. Space the hub so that the midpoint between the flanges is the same
as the midpoint between the locknuts, and so the hub's overall spacing
(over-locknut dimension) matches the frame's. I do the measuring for
this by just holding calipers and a ruler alongside the hub, and
usually make a little diagram of the hub as I go along to help keep
track of everything. This is a somewhat clumsy and imprecise way of
measuring, but any dish (uneven spoke tension) introduced by the
imprecision is very tiny and won't affect anything as long as you're
pretty close.
2. Either build or re-dish the wheel. The wheel will be virtually
"dishless" (equal spoke tension on either side of the hub), which is a
very good thing. You don't do anything unusual here - just get the rim
centered between the 2 locknuts.
3. Install the freewheel and measure what chainline it's giving you.
Here I would also check the rear triangle alignment of the frame and
either align it or take note if it, as misalignment directly affects
chainline. (It's basically okay to skip the frame alignment part, but I
don't because I like perfect chainline).
4. Set up the bottom bracket, cranks, and chainring to give a chainline
that matches the rear.

This is the most expedient way I know to set up a
random-freewheel-hub-based-singlespeed with perfect chainline and a
dishless wheel. In the case of most hubs that are intended for
singlespeed or fixed, you'll have a way of knowing what chainline
they'll have ahead of time, and little or no tinkering will be required
to get a front chainline to match, but this is generally not the case
with what you're doing.

get a true and cured 2x4
block/shim up the tuba to the dish distance at the rims diameter
bore a hole for the axle stub or for another longer axle from
threadedvrod (machine shop)
axle in hole then lace rim to JUST seated nipple settiings
from frank bruto ex rodale

[email protected] wrote:
> get a true and cured 2x4
> block/shim up the tuba to the dish distance at the rims diameter
> bore a hole for the axle stub or for another longer axle from
> threadedvrod (machine shop)
> axle in hole then lace rim to JUST seated nipple settiings
> from frank bruto ex rodale

Ate two, bruto?

Julius Jeffer