Disk Brake DEORE - 6" or 8" Disk for FR

przemekp

Feb 13, 2004
I am planning to buy a Shimano Deore disk brake for both wheels and mount them instead of my Avid V brakes.
Is it worth to spend some extra money on 8" disks or not...

Any suggestions from users needed!!!

P.S.: ...Or what other mech. disk brakes do you recommend instead of Deore? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

........ride fast! brake occasionaly.....

[email protected]

By the way
I have:

Frame: SCOTT Octane FX3
Fork: RST HI5
RIMS: Rigida DP22 - indestructible for now...
Stem: Tioga
Tyres: Maxxis Mofo DH front and Rear
Shifters: Sachs Extreme 8
Rear der.: Sachs NEOS
Front der.: Shimano STX ( good old Shimano! )
Pedals: Xerama
Handlebar: Kore
etc.

Anyway what do you think about it? Honestly...

Go 6inch in the rear and and 8inch in the front. The front brake is more important especially in a freeriding situation.

If you are looking at mechanical discs you can also look into Hayes HMX or Avid Mechs. For most situations you can go with 6". Get 8" only if you feel you need more stopping power and be sure your frame/fork can accept them. 8" will usually require different adapters and not every frame and fork will necessarily clear the larger rotor or be able to mount the caliper in the proper position for an 8" setup.

... be sure your frame/fork can accept them. ...
On the front I have RST HI5 so if you have any idea how 8" disk coul work with this fork please let me know.

The problem is with rear (frame) - I have Scott Octane fX3 and it has no built-in adapters so I will have to use additional adapter wich is mounted to the frame.
A friend of mine used it it his Scott hardtail before me and it worked well (no vivible problems even in very hard condotions ) but I have no idea about how it will work in full-susp. mtb.

And answear to IKON question:
- I was thinking about Deore Mech. disk for both wheels with 8" disk for front/fork and 6" for rear

so you mean your frame doesnt have a disk mount on it?
Do ur forks fit an 8" disk

Originally posted by IKON
so you mean your frame doesnt have a disk mount on it?
Do ur forks fit an 8" disk

Right...
I have talked with my friend-mechanic who works in a bike shop and he told me that it is impossible to get the 8" disk for mech. Deore...hmmm is it true??

Frame - yes, it really doesn't have the original adapter for disk, as I said I had a posibility to get the additional adapter that is mounted to the frame.
It worked perfectly in hardtail which was set up for freeride and dirt jump but do you any experience with such set in full-susp?

what do you think?