Disk Brake Pad Pins

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Candt, May 20, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and practiced changing pads,
    etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins for the pads. What's the best way of
    doing it? !

    I mean - I can do it, but my process is

    1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using the caliper for leverage
    (the bit I don't like), pull it through.

    2. Replace pads

    3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through

    4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of the
    two ends to bell out a bit...

    But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

    Cheers then

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:30:36 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and practiced changing pads,
    >etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins for the pads. What's the best way of
    >doing it? !
    >
    >I mean - I can do it, but my process is
    >
    >1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using the caliper for leverage
    > (the bit I don't like), pull it through.
    >
    >2. Replace pads
    >
    >3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through
    >
    >4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of
    > the two ends to bell out a bit...
    >
    >But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
    >
    >Cheers then
    >
    >CandT

    You're missing a set of XT disc brakes, which have a more refined pad retention system. If your disc
    calipers use a split pin to retain the pads, you should NEVER reuse an old split pin that you've
    straightened, ALWAYS replace with a new split pin when you change the pads.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and
    practiced
    > changing pads, etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins
    for
    > the pads. What's the best way of doing it? !
    >
    > I mean - I can do it, but my process is
    >
    > 1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using
    the
    > caliper for leverage (the bit I don't like), pull it through.
    >
    > 2. Replace pads
    >
    > 3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through
    >
    > 4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of
    > the two ends to bell out a bit...
    >
    > But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing
    something.

    > Cheers then
    >
    > CandT

    Never seen a setup like that. Small cotters usually can be pulled out with needle nose pliers
    without levering off anything. Anyway it's something you're only gonna do once a year or so.

    Mike - Disc brakes - set 'em, forget 'em, ride 'em.

  4. Candt

    Candt Guest

    >You're missing a set of XT disc brakes, which have a more refined pad retention system. If your
    >disc calipers use a split pin to retain the pads, you should NEVER reuse an old split pin that
    >you've straightened, ALWAYS replace with a new split pin when you change the pads.
    >
    >Kinky Cowboy

    Cheers for that - never seen the split pins for sale seperately though? I'm also seemingly missing
    the 'pad spacer' which I thought would come with the bike. Probably left out because it was pre
    built.... Also never seen them for sale !

    Brakes are working fine at the mo anyway though... An upgrade to XT discs would be a loooooong way
    off, I promised my wife that I was spending a bigger amount on the bike itself, because it wouldnt
    need upgrades ;-)

    Cheers,

    CandT

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and
    practiced
    > changing pads, etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins
    for
    > the pads. What's the best way of doing it? !
    >
    > I mean - I can do it, but my process is
    >
    > 1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using
    the
    > caliper for leverage (the bit I don't like), pull it through.
    >
    > 2. Replace pads
    >
    > 3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through
    >
    > 4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of
    > the two ends to bell out a bit...
    >
    > But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing
    something.

    > Cheers then
    >
    > CandT

    Which brakes are you riding? All the pads (not too many) I've ever seen are held in by magnets, and
    once you get the disc out of the way, they just pull out.

    Mike

  6. Candt

    Candt Guest

    >Which brakes are you riding? All the pads (not too many) I've ever seen are held in by magnets, and
    >once you get the disc out of the way, they just pull out.
    >
    >Mike

    Deore 525 hydraulics... Pretty good stoppers actually, came with the bike, but I've not seen a bad
    review of them anywhere - especially for the price....

    CandT

  7. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

    On my Hope C2's for better or for worse, I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the cotter pins until
    they were close enough to be pulled out with a firm tug.

    I just left them like that. Put 'em back in with a firm push, and they stay that way.

    It's been about 2 years now with no problems.

    I figure with two pins, what's the chance of both working themselves loose at the same time?
    PeteCresswell