Disk Brake Pad Pins



Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Candt

Guest
Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and practiced changing pads,
etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins for the pads. What's the best way of
doing it? !

I mean - I can do it, but my process is

1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using the caliper for leverage
(the bit I don't like), pull it through.

2. Replace pads

3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through

4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of the
two ends to bell out a bit...

But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Cheers then

CandT
 
K

Kinkycowboy

Guest
On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:30:36 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

>Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and practiced changing pads,
>etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins for the pads. What's the best way of
>doing it? !
>
>I mean - I can do it, but my process is
>
>1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using the caliper for leverage
> (the bit I don't like), pull it through.
>
>2. Replace pads
>
>3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through
>
>4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of
> the two ends to bell out a bit...
>
>But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
>
>Cheers then
>
>CandT

You're missing a set of XT disc brakes, which have a more refined pad retention system. If your disc
calipers use a split pin to retain the pads, you should NEVER reuse an old split pin that you've
straightened, ALWAYS replace with a new split pin when you change the pads.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.
 
M

Michael Dart

Guest
"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and
practiced
> changing pads, etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins
for
> the pads. What's the best way of doing it? !
>
> I mean - I can do it, but my process is
>
> 1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using
the
> caliper for leverage (the bit I don't like), pull it through.
>
> 2. Replace pads
>
> 3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through
>
> 4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of
> the two ends to bell out a bit...
>
> But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing
something.
>
> Cheers then
>
> CandT

Never seen a setup like that. Small cotters usually can be pulled out with needle nose pliers
without levering off anything. Anyway it's something you're only gonna do once a year or so.

Mike - Disc brakes - set 'em, forget 'em, ride 'em.
 
C

Candt

Guest
>You're missing a set of XT disc brakes, which have a more refined pad retention system. If your
>disc calipers use a split pin to retain the pads, you should NEVER reuse an old split pin that
>you've straightened, ALWAYS replace with a new split pin when you change the pads.
>
>Kinky Cowboy

Cheers for that - never seen the split pins for sale seperately though? I'm also seemingly missing
the 'pad spacer' which I thought would come with the bike. Probably left out because it was pre
built.... Also never seen them for sale !

Brakes are working fine at the mo anyway though... An upgrade to XT discs would be a loooooong way
off, I promised my wife that I was spending a bigger amount on the bike itself, because it wouldnt
need upgrades ;-)

Cheers,

CandT
 
M

Mike S.

Guest
"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having recently switched to disks, I've been tinkering (as usual), and
practiced
> changing pads, etc, but one question on the removal of the retaining pins
for
> the pads. What's the best way of doing it? !
>
> I mean - I can do it, but my process is
>
> 1. Put a screwdriver something through the loop end of the pin, and using
the
> caliper for leverage (the bit I don't like), pull it through.
>
> 2. Replace pads
>
> 3. Straighten the pin with a pliers or something, and thread back through
>
> 4. Using a flat screwdriver - push in between the 2 pin ends, and then up, causing the longer of
> the two ends to bell out a bit...
>
> But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing
something.
>
> Cheers then
>
> CandT

Which brakes are you riding? All the pads (not too many) I've ever seen are held in by magnets, and
once you get the disc out of the way, they just pull out.

Mike
 
C

Candt

Guest
>Which brakes are you riding? All the pads (not too many) I've ever seen are held in by magnets, and
>once you get the disc out of the way, they just pull out.
>
>Mike
>
Deore 525 hydraulics... Pretty good stoppers actually, came with the bike, but I've not seen a bad
review of them anywhere - especially for the price....

CandT
 
X

x

Guest
RE/
>But it seems a bit heavy handed - and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

On my Hope C2's for better or for worse, I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the cotter pins until
they were close enough to be pulled out with a firm tug.

I just left them like that. Put 'em back in with a firm push, and they stay that way.

It's been about 2 years now with no problems.

I figure with two pins, what's the chance of both working themselves loose at the same time?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
 
Status
Not open for further replies.