disk brake squeal

ilaboo

Guest
what is making my avid disk brakes (mechanical) squael?--nothing on the net

rotors are spotless--no grease/oil
bike si less than 2 months old

tried all sorts of adjustments to no avail

any studies on this--seems it is a common problem

any help appreciated

tia
peter

Had the same exact problem with my Avid mechanicals, too. Even though
the rotors appear clean, try wiping them down with some sort of
solvent. One of the many types of break clean stuff for autos works
fine and leaves no residue. It worked for me... hope it does the same
for you and it's a very easy fix. Hope this helps!

>what is making my avid disk brakes (mechanical) squael?--nothing on the net
>
>rotors are spotless--no grease/oil
>bike si less than 2 months old
>
>tried all sorts of adjustments to no avail
>
>any studies on this--seems it is a common problem
>
>any help appreciated
>
>tia
>peter

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:44:20 -0500, Richard <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Had the same exact problem with my Avid mechanicals, too. Even though
>the rotors appear clean, try wiping them down with some sort of
>solvent. One of the many types of break clean stuff for autos works
>fine and leaves no residue. It worked for me... hope it does the same
>for you and it's a very easy fix. Hope this helps!
>
>>what is making my avid disk brakes (mechanical) squael?--nothing on the net
>>
>>rotors are spotless--no grease/oil
>>bike si less than 2 months old
>>
>>tried all sorts of adjustments to no avail
>>
>>any studies on this--seems it is a common problem
>>
>>any help appreciated
>>
>>tia
>>peter

I use a BRASSO type cleaner on my rotors THEN use an alcohol based
cleaner that evaporates quickly. Nail Polish remover works well.
Just make sure you use one with no scent added.

Also, you may want to try "roughing up" the pads a bit.

As a last resort, a quick, temporary fix would be to put a little
talcum powder on it.