Disk brake

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Son Of Kendo, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Son Of Kendo

    Son Of Kendo Guest

    I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have been
    offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a fir
    370 or something like that ...not sure but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be
    better to go for a rear wheel first ..? I cannot work out what is best as I don't use my front brake
    that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any
    ideas and are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for
    spare parts etc . Any advice would be welcome

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    stick with V's until you can afforda complete set?

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have
    > been offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a
    > fir 370 or something like that ...not
    sure
    > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first
    > ..? I cannot work
    out
    > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega
    > stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    and
    > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare parts
    > etc . Any advice would be welcome
    >
    > Thanks

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/

    >Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first ..? I cannot work out what is best as I don't
    >use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega stuff but I still like a
    >challenge.

    Given a choice, I'll always bypass the "challange"...but my experience and a recurrant statement in
    other threads is that the front brake is the workhorse.

    On a long downhill, I'll keep steady pressure on the front brake and feather the rear brake for fine
    tuning. Might be right, might be wrong...but that's the way I do it.

    Also, when disc brakes first started appearing, most of the bikes I remember had disc on front
    wheel only.

    Finally, I'm in the midst of converting my new hardtail from v-brakes to Avid cable discs. Got the
    rear wheel converted already, front caliper should arrive on Wednesday.

    It's interesting to me because I've had a few hundred miles to compare the hardtail's vee's with the
    Hope C2's on my FS and now, I'm getting the chance to
    A/B the Avid cables with the Hope hydraulics.

    Only got a few miles on the new cable rear disc, but my initial impression is that it's pretty good
    - maybe even a worthy alternative to the hydraulic Hope at less than half the cost.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have
    > been offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a
    > fir 370 or something like that ...not
    sure
    > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first
    > ..? I cannot work
    out
    > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega
    > stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    and
    > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare parts
    > etc . Any advice would be welcome
    >
    > Thanks

    Why don't you use your front brake much?
    --
    Chris
    ________________

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have been
    >offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a fir
    >370 or something like that ...not sure but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be
    >better to go for a rear wheel first ..? I cannot work out what is best as I don't use my front
    >brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone
    >any ideas and are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for
    >spare parts etc . Any advice would be welcome

    First off, try to honestly assess just how badly you really NEED those disc brakes. You mention you
    don't do "mega stuff", so if you're not riding in lots o' sloppy conditions, the "value" might not
    be all that great. By the time you get done changing out all the bits that you'll need to change,
    the cost will probably be a lot more than you expected. You might consider stashing away the money
    for the "upgrade" for now, and using it to start a "new bike fund" for something that comes with
    discs out of the box (leaving you with your old bike as a backup - always a very cool thing).

    In the end, I don't get too excited about my brakes unless they stop working - and they never do.

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have
    > been offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a
    > fir 370 or something like that ...not
    sure
    > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first
    > ..? I cannot work
    out
    > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega
    > stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    and
    > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare parts
    > etc . Any advice would be welcome
    >
    > Thanks

    I'm not sure about the price but the Shimano Deore hydraulic are reasonable brakes by from all
    reports. And being Shimano the pads and parts will be easily available. Or easily sourced at least.
    Go for the front first. The vast majority of your braking should be done with the front brakes
    anyway. You'll stop or slow much faster and with more control by using the front brakes. When you
    brake the majority of the weight and force throws itself forwards and there is more downwards force
    and grip on the ground through the front wheel. The back wheel has little weight and grip on it and
    contributes much less to the braking. Of course loose surfaces present their own set of problems.
    --
    Westie

  7. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > stick with V's until you can afforda complete set?

    You're an idiot. Learn something before giving advice.

    > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have
    > > been offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its
    > > a fir 370 or something like that ...not
    > sure
    > > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first
    > > ..? I cannot work
    > out
    > > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega
    > > stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    > and
    > > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare
    > > parts etc . Any advice would be welcome

    Ignore moronic advice like TBF's, and go for the front disk/rear V set-up. Most of your braking is
    done with the front, so having the better brake up there is important. Good, well-adjusted Vs in the
    back will work just fine. I ran cantis, switched to Vs, then front-disk/rear V then full disk, and I
    can say that the jump from front disk to full disk was the least impressive step. Actually, the most
    impressive was canti to V. :)

    Right now, I'm running my beater HT with front disk/rear V. Works great, no problems.

    But front disks are so much nicer to modulate than front Vs, and mud and water on the rim doesn't
    give you the "no-brake pucker" that you get with Vs.

    Do it.

    Spider

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Ignore moronic advice like TBF's, and go for the front disk/rear V set-up. Most of your braking is
    > done with the front, so having the better brake up there is important. Good, well-adjusted Vs in
    > the back will work just fine. I ran cantis, switched to Vs, then front-disk/rear V then full disk,
    > and I can say that the jump from front disk to full disk was the least impressive step. Actually,
    > the most impressive was canti to V. :)
    >
    > Right now, I'm running my beater HT with front disk/rear V. Works great, no problems.
    >
    > But front disks are so much nicer to modulate than front Vs, and mud and water on the rim doesn't
    > give you the "no-brake pucker" that you get with Vs.
    >
    > Do it.
    >
    > Spider

    I gotta agree with Spider on this. I also ran a front disc with a rear V because I couldn't afford
    to switch out both. I loved the front so much that I just removed the rear and ran one brake for a
    little while, but I don't suggest you doing this....it's an advanced technique reserved for idiots
    like myself ;^ 0

    Go for it!
    --
    Slacker

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Son of Kendo wrote:
    > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have
    > been offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a
    > fir 370 or something like that ...not sure but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new .

    The one important thing you need to look at, is are your current shifters / levers all one unit? If
    so, you're going to have to buy new shifters to run with your new brake.

    > Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first ..? I cannot work out what is best as I don't
    > use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega stuff but I still like a
    > challenge.

    You need to work on your technique. On downhills, a huge amount of your braking force should be
    going through the front - way more than the back.

    Anyone any ideas and
    > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare parts
    > etc . Any advice would be welcome

    The Deore's are ok, and it sounds like a deal, but as others have pointed out, do you
    really need it?

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > First off, try to honestly assess just how badly you really NEED those disc brakes. You mention
    > you don't do "mega stuff", so if you're not riding in lots o' sloppy conditions, the "value" might
    > not be all that great.

    Exactly...if you're lacking power, maybe you need discs, maybe you need good V's. If you don't do a
    lot of "crazy stuff" you (most probably) don't require disc brakes. Switch out to nice V's, or even
    nice brake pads - in my experience, Avid's Rim Wrangler 2 pads are insane in all conditions, and I
    like stream crossings, mud, dirt, mud, sand, and mud. Pads may make all the difference. Will you
    need disc hubs also? Even though Avid mechanicals can be had for $70 each, not too much more than
    v's (okay, double v's) you may need new hubs, and you'll need cables, and you'll want smooth levers
    to reinforce your newfound modulation...soon, you've spent hundreds of dollars. Be sure you need
    discs...unless, of course, you just want them. Then, go

    me going more than my bike), so I know what it is to spend frivolously on a ride. You may, though,
    be better off in the long run with nice V's, like Mr. Hickey said, or high-end pads, like I said.

    Chris

  11. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set
    of
    | > disk brakes but have been offered a good deal on a shimano deore
    Hydraulic
    | > front system with wheel included think its a fir 370 or something like that ...not
    | sure
    | > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first
    | > ..? I cannot work
    | out
    | > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill
    stuff
    | > not that I do mega stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    | and
    | > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare
    | > parts etc . Any advice would be welcome
    | >
    | > Thanks
    | >

    | I'm not sure about the price but the Shimano Deore hydraulic are
    reasonable
    | brakes by from all reports. And being Shimano the pads and parts will be easily available. Or
    | easily sourced at least. Go for the front first. The vast majority of your braking should be done
    | with the front brakes anyway. You'll stop or slow much faster and with
    more
    | control by using the front brakes. When you brake the majority of the weight and force throws
    | itself forwards and there is more downwards force and grip on the ground through the front wheel.
    | The back wheel has little weight and grip on it and contributes much less to the braking. Of
    | course loose surfaces present their own set of problems.
    | --
    | Westie

    Damn now MV will campaign for no front brakes on mountainbikes. :eek:)

    Simon

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Ignore moronic advice like TBF's, and go for the front disk/rear V set-up. Most of your braking
    > > is done with the front, so having the better brake up there is important. Good, well-adjusted Vs
    > > in the back will work just fine. I ran cantis, switched to Vs, then front-disk/rear V then full
    > > disk, and I can say that the jump from front disk to full disk was the least impressive step.
    > > Actually, the most impressive was canti to V. :)
    > >
    > > Right now, I'm running my beater HT with front disk/rear V. Works great, no problems.
    > >
    > > But front disks are so much nicer to modulate than front Vs, and mud and water on the rim
    > > doesn't give you the "no-brake pucker" that you get with Vs.
    > >
    > > Do it.
    > >
    > > Spider
    >

    > I gotta agree with Spider on this. I also ran a front disc with a rear V
    because I couldn't afford to switch out both. I loved the
    > front so much that I just removed the rear and ran one brake for a little
    while, but I don't suggest you doing this....it's an
    > advanced technique reserved for idiots like myself ;^ 0
    >
    > Go for it!

    3rd'ed - I'm still running front disc/rear V's, and have absolutely no problems, other than V brakes
    wearing rims out in our shitty gritty and muddy conditions.

    Shaun aRe

  13. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Son of Kendo wrote:
    > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set of disk brakes but have
    > been offered a good deal on a shimano deore Hydraulic front system with wheel included think its a
    > fir 370 or something like that ...not sure but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would
    > I be better to go for a rear wheel first ..? I cannot work out what is best as I don't use my
    > front brake that much on the downhill stuff not that I do mega stuff but I still like a challenge.
    > Anyone any ideas and are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of
    > .etc..still ok for spare parts etc . Any advice would be welcome
    >
    > Thanks

    The front brake has 80% of your bike's stopping power. You need to learn to use it on steep hills so
    that when you do hit the 'big one' by accident, you're not lost.

    BUT, I've heard of people using just the front disc -- leaving the read as V. I did that at first
    for a similar reason to yours (for me, it was a Lefty fork that I just couldn't pass up and discs
    are a must for lefty's :)). It worked ok, but I didn't like it because of the difference in feel
    between the front and back. I kept underpowering or locking the rear. SO, father's day and my
    birthday were close and I asked for a rear disc hub and matching disc brake :))).

    David

  14. Son Of Kendo

    Son Of Kendo Guest

    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions It sounds as if might go for it then ...its a
    front wheel with a disk hub and a full shimano deore front brake . Its been in the shop for a long
    time and the bike mechanic is getting desperate to sell it and keeps badgering me everytime I go
    into his shop He is really a friend and riding partner sometimes but will do and say almost anything
    to sell me things ;;-)) So its a good deal I suppose I ride in The west coast of Scotland and its
    nearly always muddy apart from this year. To the question why don't I use the front brake ,,,well I
    do but its just I seem to use the rear more sometimes to slow me down and get better control ...but
    imp no expert and am just now trying to put a little more into my riding than I used to do and just
    wondered if spending 100 quid was a way forward .

    Thanks again for all your advice will let you know how I get on.

    Cheers./

    Jim "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Son of Kendo wrote:
    > > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set
    of
    > > disk brakes but have been offered a good deal on a shimano deore
    Hydraulic
    > > front system with wheel included think its a fir 370 or something like that ...not
    sure
    > > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first
    > > ..? I cannot work
    out
    > > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill
    stuff
    > > not that I do mega stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    and
    > > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare
    > > parts etc . Any advice would be welcome
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > The front brake has 80% of your bike's stopping power. You need to learn to use it on steep hills
    > so that when you do hit the 'big one' by accident, you're not lost.
    >
    > BUT, I've heard of people using just the front disc -- leaving the read as V. I did that at first
    > for a similar reason to yours (for me, it was a Lefty fork that I just couldn't pass up and discs
    > are a must for lefty's :)). It worked ok, but I didn't like it because of the difference in feel
    > between the front and back. I kept underpowering or locking the rear. SO, father's day and my
    > birthday were close and I asked for a rear disc hub and matching disc brake :))).
    >
    > David

  15. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | > I'm still on v brakes but am in a dilemma ..I cannot afford a full set
    > of
    > | > disk brakes but have been offered a good deal on a shimano deore
    > Hydraulic
    > | > front system with wheel included think its a fir 370 or something like that ...not
    > sure
    > | > but hand built .for 100 notes ,, brand new . Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel
    > | > first ..? I cannot work
    > out
    > | > what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill
    > stuff
    > | > not that I do mega stuff but I still like a challenge. Anyone any ideas
    > and
    > | > are shimano deore brakes ok , any problems I should be thinking of .etc..still ok for spare
    > | > parts etc . Any advice would be welcome
    > | >
    > | > Thanks
    > | >

    > | I'm not sure about the price but the Shimano Deore hydraulic are
    > reasonable
    > | brakes by from all reports. And being Shimano the pads and parts will be easily available. Or
    > | easily sourced at least. Go for the front first. The vast majority of your braking should be
    > | done with the front brakes anyway. You'll stop or slow much faster and with
    > more
    > | control by using the front brakes. When you brake the majority of the weight and force throws
    > | itself forwards and there is more downwards force and grip on the ground through the front
    > | wheel. The back wheel has little weight and grip on it and contributes much less to the braking.
    > | Of course loose surfaces present their own set of problems.
    > | --
    > | Westie
    >
    > Damn now MV will campaign for no front brakes on mountainbikes. :eek:)
    >
    > Simon

    No, rear brakes alone are much more likely to skid - tearing up the soil adding to the problem of
    erosion. Proper use of BOTH brakes is much better on trails and the environment (and your noggin).

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  16. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions It sounds as if might
    go
    > for it then ...its a front wheel with a disk hub and a full shimano deore front brake . Its been
    > in the shop for a long time and the bike mechanic is getting desperate to sell it and keeps
    > badgering me everytime I go into his shop He is really a friend and riding partner sometimes but
    > will do and say almost anything to sell me things ;;-)) So its a good deal I suppose I ride in The
    > west coast of Scotland and
    its
    > nearly always muddy apart from this year. To the question why don't I use the front brake ,,,well
    > I do but its just I seem to use the rear more sometimes to slow me down and get better control
    > ...but imp no expert and
    am
    > just now trying to put a little more into my riding than I used to do and just wondered if
    > spending 100 quid was a way forward .
    >
    > Thanks again for all your advice will let you know how I get on.
    >
    > Cheers./
    >
    > Jim

    Have fun. We'd love to get the feedback too.
    --
    Westie

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:09:10 +0000 (UTC), "Son of Kendo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now would I be better to go for a rear wheel first ..?

    Yes

    >I cannot work out what is best as I don't use my front brake that much on the downhill stuff

    Why not?

    Price the Avid mechs.

    :-]

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 01:42:23 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I loved the front so much that I just removed the rear and ran one brake for a little while, but I
    >don't suggest you doing this....

    Not as much of a knuckle head as I thought you were.

    :-]

  19. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 00:50:14 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]

    >First off, try to honestly assess just how badly you really NEED those disc brakes. You mention you
    >don't do "mega stuff", so if you're not riding in lots o' sloppy conditions, the "value" might not
    >be all that great. By the time you get done changing out all the bits that you'll need to change,
    >the cost will probably be a lot more than you expected.

    True.

    >You might consider stashing away the money for the "upgrade"

    I think what he meant to say was.

    "You might consider stashing away the money for the SS"

    Peace, Bill(Still very excited about my discs!)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass
    rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an
    interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  20. Son Of Kendo

    Son Of Kendo Guest

    That is quite profound ......but if I think about it too much ,,,,I will fall off my bike .....;-))