Disk Brakes Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by jcafcw, Feb 7, 2005.

1. jcafcw

jcafcw New Member

I've got myself a new bike with disk brakes and it is working properly and has been fitted properly. But they sure look daunting. What worries me is that whilst I can fix a puncture on a bike with cantilever brakes I honestly wouldn't know where to start with disk brakes. Is it easier to fix a puncture than it looks and does any know a good book or website with a decent idiot guide for fixing a puncture with disk brakes ?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

The puncture gets fixed the same old way as with canti's, rubber is still rubber.
    If your brakes are hydraulic you'll want to avoid activating the brake while the disk is removed, there is a chance that this might cause the piston to protrude too far. Otherwise you should be OK as long as you show a little attention to fit when you put the wheel back.

3. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

Its even easier with disks as you don't even have to release the brakes, just pull the wheel out and make sure no one touches the brake lever while the disk is out (Hydraulics only)

If you are worried about the brakes being touched, carry a bit of thick cardboard or plastic about half the size of a credit card and shove it in the brakes while you fix/transport the bike with the wheel out.

4. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

or you can use a special plastic insert that takes the place of the disk when the wheel is removed.

5. Born2bahick

Born2bahick New Member

The terrain where I live cetainly doesn't demand disc's,nor does my riding style, but they're on every off road bike I own just for two reasons, 1. not having to undo the brake to take the wheel off and, 2. I have tacoed wheels before, and after stomping the bent wheel back to a semi round state, it can be limped back home and still have decent brakes. Not to mention the crisp stopping of a hydraulic disc is addictive!

6. moparchris

moparchris New Member

another reason to have discs is it wont eventually wear your rim down ;)

7. Born2bahick

Born2bahick New Member

Another good point, Moparchris! your location probably shows more benifit from disc's than mine! Lord knows V's, Canti's, and Side pull brakes have been stopping bikes efficiently for a long time, with less weight than disc's but I love new technology. Also I don't intentionally ride in nasty conditions, but if I do get caught in them, I know my brakes will work!