disk brakes rubbing?

nick25

Sep 4, 2004
Hi, firstly not sure if I should have posted this in the mountain biking > tech corner instead of here so please feel free to move it.

I have recently bought a new bike but my front disk brake is rubbing. The brake in question is a Hope mono M4 200mm hydrualic. It's a continous rub from one side of pads. Everything is new so should not be worn/warped/buckled etc

I've heard people comment on how disk brakes always rub/drag a little however this is actually making quite a lot of resistance when I try and ride, also the back one doesn't seem to rub at all. You can quite clearly see the disk is too far over one side - could do with going about .75mm to the left to make the disk central.

I've tried the trick with the playing cards which stops the rubbing nicely until I reapply the brake a couple of times resulting in it going back to normal, in this case - rubbing.

I'm new to disk brakes so am a little unsure of what adjustments I could try and make (if any) I have tried loosening the caliper and wiggling it more centrally on the disk but once tightened it reverts back to its original position. There's also a screw coming out the top of the caliper with a protective black rubber outing - but am not sure what this does.

I have taken it down the my lbs but they haven't fixed the problem ( I picked my bike up just before closing time so didn't stop to try it out)

Anyway any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Nick.

loosen up the bolts that afix the breaking device to your fork and/or adjuster. that usually give you a little play to shift to the right or left. do so untill the rotor if centered and not touching, and tighen back into place. bango, you are set. how do you find thoes breaks? i was thinking about buys a set actually, i was offered a really great deal on them

Hi thanks for the reply. I did actually already try what you described and found when I tightened the bolts back up the caliper would move back to where they were before. I'll have another go though as I only did it quickly.

As for the brakes - I've yet to bed them in yet so the stopping power isn't fully there yet, modulation however is excellent. They do have that 'bling bling' factor as well :p

hmm, well I recently bought a new hardtail which came to £1730.

I think the brakes were around £245 for the pair. Keep in mind I think UK prices are generally more expensive in canada and the US. We do have the tendency to get ripped off. Having said that Hope are a british company aren't they?

245 pounds is great for a set compared to here. 245 pounds is like 575 canadian. here, one set retails for 490, a pair usually for 850. i have someone offering them to me for 550 canadian, which is an amazing deal for here. i am really thinking about buying them.