Disk brakes - the story so far (long)

Mike Ayling wrote:
> As far as I am concerned I use the English spelling "disc" for both computer components and brake
> components. Mr Gates and the rest of the American based computer industry may do as they please! I
> suspect that the American automobile industry also uses the word "disk" for brake components.
>
> Mike (I hate the American way of spelling) Ayling

[.. gets off bike ..]

I'd be the last to promote all things American, they get very many things wrong rather than right
(e.g. the war but let's not go there). The American approach to spelling and pronunciation is
something I've learned to appreciate as superior. It is merely our conservative ties that we
Australians defer to British snobby spelling style. Why promote the old anachronisms of our
language? The various odd spellings and pronunciations were not designed by any intent, they
occurred by historical accidents and random mutation. The American approach is to actively weed out
the silly little backwaters of our English language to simplify it for more widespread adoption
throughout the world. That is a worthwhile aim. Realize that English is only the second most popular
language (and just holding that spot out as well) so it is in *our* particular interests to follow
the American approach and promote our language. So change to "disk" and conquer the world!

Mark,

Do you really pronounce the Americam spelt word favor as"fayvor" :)

Or do yo pronounce it as most Ausssies do "fayva". The whole point of having the the "u" in the
spelling is to soften the sound of the "o".

Americans are the most lousy, lazy spellers on the earth, just have a close look at some of the
websites around. Even with their "simplified" version of English they can't get it right.

John L.

"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ross MacPherson <[email protected]> wrote...

>. I was wondering if anyone would raise this. I really didn't know the answer, but now that it's
> been raised, I checked a couple of good, recent dictionaries. I find there that the word comes
> from the Greek <diskos> which was the weapon thrown for sport in the original Olympic Games 2500
> years ago. Then it was picked up by the Romans to cover flat circular objects more generally,
> including the appearance of the full moon. It became <disc> for the Romans. You're quite right
> about present-day use: disk is the more common spelling in the world of computers (and the most
> common form across the US); <disc> is the more common form for brakes (and generally more common
> across the UK).

Thanks Ross

Latin discus, quoit, from Greek diskos, from dikein, to throw

When it comes to computing and electronics there is nothing consistent Floppy Disk (Diskette) Hard
Disk Optical Disc Compact Disc Digital Versatile Disc Mini Disc

more a Euro vs US thing these days on other items