Disk vs. non-disk hub musing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Baird Webel, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Baird Webel

    Baird Webel Guest

    I've been considering building a new wheelset for our tandem. We are fairly light and I've very good
    luck with respacing single bike Deore XT hubs out to 145. I don't have a disk brake setup but was
    thinking of using a disk hub for the rear just to have the option in the future.

    In looking at the specs on the shimano hubs, I was kind surprised at the difference between the
    non-disk, FH-750 and the disk model, FH-756. The 750 has a center to right flange distance of
    23.2mm, center to left is 36.8. On the 756, the center to right is 18.5, the center to left is
    32.15. The difference on the left side is no surprise, you need the space for the disk, but what I
    don't understand is the difference on the right hand side. I can't think of any reason why you would
    change the right side of the hub because you added a disk brake on the left. The flange on the disk
    hub is high, vs. low for the non-disk, but I don't know why this would make a difference on the
    flange spacing either. Anybody have an explanation? Taking that 5mm just adds more dish and weakens
    the wheel.

    Any speculation on how much strength difference the 60mm vs 40mm flange spacing would make? I'm
    assuming that the 40mm still builds a pretty strong wheel given its use on single MTBs. This
    wheelset would be 700c, which is weaker, but also has much less dish. It would be a backup wheelset,
    so it would get relatively little use.

    Any thoughts welcome.

    Baird

    Tags:

  2. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Dude if spacing the axle to 145 you need to think about disk set up.The caliper sit on the frame the
    disk mount to the wheel.The spacing is got to be right .you might need a wider axle to put the disk
    over where it should be. good luck .I take it the spacers your using are just 1- 5mm nuts on each
    side of the axle.

  3. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    I saw a tandem with 145 mm DT hubs and disc brakes. See

    http://www.dtswiss.com/en/naben-huegi-TD.html

    for the adapter they use.

    Baird Webel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA485749.196F4%[email protected]>...
    > I've been considering building a new wheelset for our tandem. We are fairly light and I've very
    > good luck with respacing single bike Deore XT hubs out to 145. I don't have a disk brake setup but
    > was thinking of using a disk hub for the rear just to have the option in the future.
    >
    > In looking at the specs on the shimano hubs, I was kind surprised at the difference between the
    > non-disk, FH-750 and the disk model, FH-756. The 750 has a center to right flange distance of
    > 23.2mm, center to left is 36.8. On the 756, the center to right is 18.5, the center to left is
    > 32.15. The difference on the left side is no surprise, you need the space for the disk, but what I
    > don't understand is the difference on the right hand side. I can't think of any reason why you
    > would change the right side of the hub because you added a disk brake on the left. The flange on
    > the disk hub is high, vs. low for the non-disk, but I don't know why this would make a difference
    > on the flange spacing either. Anybody have an explanation? Taking that 5mm just adds more dish and
    > weakens the wheel.
    >
    > Any speculation on how much strength difference the 60mm vs 40mm flange spacing would make? I'm
    > assuming that the 40mm still builds a pretty strong wheel given its use on single MTBs. This
    > wheelset would be 700c, which is weaker, but also has much less dish. It would be a backup
    > wheelset, so it would get relatively little use.
    >
    > Any thoughts welcome.
    >
    > Baird

  4. Baird Webel

    Baird Webel Guest

    On 1/14/03 10:10, in article [email protected], "Jamie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dude if spacing the axle to 145 you need to think about disk set up.The caliper sit on the frame
    > the disk mount to the wheel.The spacing is got to be right .you might need a wider axle to put the
    > disk over where it should be. good luck .I take it the spacers your using are just 1- 5mm nuts on
    > each side of the axle.

    Thanks for the suggestion...I am told that I can get a spacer of some kind to sit between the hub
    and the rotor and put it back to the proper position for the brake mount.

    --
    Baird Webel Washington DC