dismantiling carbon -alloy frame

gazshaw

May 19, 2011
Hi, I have a pinarello marvel,it is mainly an alloy frame,but the framepart below the saddle to the rear axle,wishbone?is carbon. I am hoping to temporarily remove this to have the alloy frame beadblasted and repainted at 180 degrees. Where the wishbone connects to to axle, there is an allen-hexagon bolt at each side which connects it to the alloy frame. These can be removed, and the carbon wishbone should just pull out from the frame above from which it slots into. But, this is obviously glued into place when it is built. Does anybody have any advice on how to free the glue up to remove the carbon piece from inside the alloy frame? thanks gaz

The allen bolts at the drop out may make the frame look "demountable" but I can assure you the manufacturer did NOT intend for this to be done at all.

The glue used to hold these parts together is very strong and, if you don't know what you're doing you can easily break the wishbone before you break the glue bond.

Certainly removing the wishbone is NOT a task for the home repairer. If it must be done, take it to a frame builder. They will most likely tell you whether or not it can be done (and whether it is worth it) before starting work.

But why do you need to remove the wishbone in the first place? Surely I would have thought that it could withstand bead blasting. If not, or if you don't want to remove the lacquer, why not just cover the wishbone in some sort of protective mask?

You don't specify Fahrenheit or Celsius temperatures but if its Fahrenheit you're not talking about a huge temperature. I'd be very disappointed if carbon fibre couldn't cope with 180F (it is heated much higher than that in manufacture).

Tafi, maybe that should have been my first question, could the carbon wishbone withstand 180 degrees in the bead blasting-repainting process? ! I will take your advice, leave it in one piece,and give it a go. Many thanks, gaz

Don't just take my advice. Get your satisfaction from the bead blaster and the painter first. Surely they should have more understanding of the limitations of the process than I do.

But certainly, even if the integrity of the wishbone is a concern, I'd be thinking about masking/protecting it in-situ before I would try removing it.