Dismantle Front Hub - Rolf

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alan Dods, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Alan Dods

    Alan Dods Guest

    Hello

    Can anyone offer any advice on how to dismantle my front hub? I have Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels with
    Rolf sealed cartridge hubs. The bike is a Trek 8000 (2001). The axle ends are plain (not threaded)
    and there are two rubber/metal spacers that look as though they have to be pulled off but I don't
    know how to pull them / what to pull them with (finger strength is not enough). Inside these, on the
    disk side there is a nut that takes a cone spanner, on the other side there is a lockring for which
    I seem to have tool that came with the bike.

    Has anyone taken these apart? I'd like to replace the cartridge bearings.

    Thanks Alan

    Tags:

  2. Josh Gatts

    Josh Gatts Guest

    Rolf wheels use Hugi hubs. Check out:

    http://www.dtswiss.com/en/naben.html

    Find the hub that most closely matches yours, and click on the "Technical Manual" link.

    You may need a bearing puller. Bike Tools Etc sells rebuild kits for about $25.

    Josh

    "Alan Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > Can anyone offer any advice on how to dismantle my front hub? I have Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels
    > with Rolf sealed cartridge hubs. The bike is a Trek 8000 (2001). The axle ends are plain (not
    > threaded) and there are two rubber/metal spacers that look as though they have to be pulled off
    > but I don't know how to pull them / what to pull them with (finger strength is not enough). Inside
    > these, on the disk side there is a nut that takes a cone spanner, on the other side there is a
    > lockring for which I seem to have tool that came with the bike.
    >
    > Has anyone taken these apart? I'd like to replace the cartridge bearings.
    >
    > Thanks Alan

  3. Alan Dods

    Alan Dods Guest

    "Josh Gatts" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rolf wheels use Hugi hubs. Check out:
    >
    >http://www.dtswiss.com/en/naben.html
    >
    >Find the hub that most closely matches yours, and click on the "Technical Manual" link.
    >
    >You may need a bearing puller. Bike Tools Etc sells rebuild kits for about $25.
    >
    >Josh

    Josh

    Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the Hugi website before and can't find anything there that
    looks much like my front or rear hubs. They seem to use much larger axle sizes (mine are about 10mm)
    and generally have different locking / spacing components.

    I'll try contacting Trek. although my experience with getting a new freehub body suggests that they
    aren't very clear about what hubs they put on what bikes.

    Regards Alan

  4. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    If your hub has an adjusting ring with four slots, it's easy.

    1. Pull off both end caps (hard -- they're tight!).
    2. Hold the spanner side of the axle and unscrew the adjuting ring (it has four slots).
    3. Push the axle out.

    Bearings are pressed in and the rest is pretty straightforward.

    Alan Dods <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Josh Gatts" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Rolf wheels use Hugi hubs. Check out:
    > >
    > >http://www.dtswiss.com/en/naben.html
    > >
    > >Find the hub that most closely matches yours, and click on the "Technical Manual" link.
    > >
    > >You may need a bearing puller. Bike Tools Etc sells rebuild kits for about $25.
    > >
    > >Josh
    > >
    > Josh
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the Hugi website before and can't find anything there that
    > looks much like my front or rear hubs. They seem to use much larger axle sizes (mine are about
    > 10mm) and generally have different locking / spacing components.
    >
    > I'll try contacting Trek. although my experience with getting a new freehub body suggests that
    > they aren't very clear about what hubs they put on what bikes.
    >
    > Regards Alan

  5. Alan Dods

    Alan Dods Guest

    [email protected] (almost fast) wrote:

    >If your hub has an adjusting ring with four slots, it's easy.
    >
    >1. Pull off both end caps (hard -- they're tight!).
    >2. Hold the spanner side of the axle and unscrew the adjuting ring (it has four slots).
    >3. Push the axle out.
    >
    >Bearings are pressed in and the rest is pretty straightforward.

    Thanks! Yes, my hub has that four-slot ring and I have succeeded in taking it apart. Just need to
    get some new bearings so I can put it back together (one of them sounds pretty rough). Bearings are
    6903RS. Axle diameter is 16mm. I had to use a slightly nasty technique with a screwdriver to pry the
    end-cap off, but I don't think I did any damage. Seems like I might need a Park Tool Axle holder to
    grip the endcap and do the job nicely (http://www.parktool.com/tools/AV_1.shtml)

    Actually, now that I have it apart it looks more like the Hugi hubs than I thought. The main
    difference seems to be that the Hugi axles have shoulders so that when you tap the axle out, one
    beraing comes too, whereas with mine the axle taps straight through leaving both bearings in place.
    Without a puller, this means a slightly ugly system of tapping one bearing out by working round the
    edges - no way to tap it out squarely. Anyway, hub seems to have survived so far.

    Thanks again to you both for the help.

    Alan