Dismantle Shimano 6700 Cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Roche1, May 1, 2010.

1. Roche1

Roche1 New Member

Is it possible to take apart a Shimano 6700 ten speed cassette and re-assemble it with a different cog arrangement? Does Shimano sell individual cogs for the cassette? If not I'll just buy two cassettes and cannibalize cogs from one to put on the other. If anyone has done this (or attempted to) let me know how it went. Thankyou.

Tags:

2. genedan

genedan New Member

I'm not sure what the answer is, but if you're gonna buy a whole new cassette why don't you just get one with the cogs you want?

3. milliedog

milliedog New Member

You will find it best to buy a new one as:
    - The larger (3?) cogs are all riveted to a spider & can't be separated.
    - The teeth on the cogs are cut in relation to where they are on the cassette & what the next cog is. Some are exactly swappable from my past experience, but some are not... the shfting quality may not be 100% (but still 90%).
    Seriously though - what ratio do you want that can't be accomodated by standard Shimano or Sram cassettes? If you want wider range than 11-28 Shimano, use a Sram XX MTB cassette.

4. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Biggest 3 cogs are on a spider and cannot be taken apart. Yes loose cogs are available, use even 105 level(5600) cogs, cheaper, same dimensions. Individual cogs can be pricey tho.

5. Roche1

Roche1 New Member

Hmmm,Seems like the thing to do is contact Shimano and see if they sell the cassettes with a custom cog arrangement and if not then I will need to buy one and take it apart to see if I can do it myself. The last three cogs may be a challenge according to what has been posted here but if someone could put it together then someone can take it apart (re-assembly may be a challenge). Hopefully I can hoist a custom built cassette in triumph!

6. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

Harris Cyclery sells custom cassettes. You can also check the IRD site for alternative cog configurations.

7. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Okay. Inquiring minds want to know -- what cog combination are you trying to achieve?

8. Roche1

Roche1 New Member

Why,Anything I may want. Unfortunately Shimano does not consider the flexibility of the custumer setting up a cog arrangement that suits them. One is stuck with what Shimano decides (in part). Sure,You can change the inner seven cogs but with the outer three cogs being riveted to a spider the customer is stuck with whatever "spider arrangements" Shimano offers. This is a poorly designed cassette. Shimano was thinking only about weight and forgot functionality. I can understand weight being important but Ultegra 6700 is not Shimano's top of the line component group so it would not have been a bad idea to produce a cassette which weighed more but left the door open to the customer placing whatever cog arrangement they wanted on the cassette.

9. Roche1

Roche1 New Member

Five 6700 cassettes sold by Shimano 1: (11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23)2: (11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25)3: (11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,24,28)4: (12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,21,23)5: (12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25)Take a look at the last 3 cogs in each arrangement. These are the cogs which are riveted to a spider and cannot be changed. There are only 3 different arrangements sold by Shimano.1: (19,21,23)2: (21,23,25)3: (21,24,28)If you would like a different arrangement Shimano does not offer one. Two thumbs down to Shimano for this. I hope they correct this poor design the next time they revise the Ultegra group.

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's still not clear to me what combination you want ...

I believe the IRD cassettes are assembled with individual cogs.

BTW. I think that buying individual cogs introduces a false economy in what you are suggesting that you want to do with regard to mixing & matching ...

If you want a stack with ONE-or-TWO of the larger cogs being a different size than already available, then buy one-or-more 9-speed LX cassettes which has the cogs you may want and stack those larger cogs on the flange end of the cassette on an ad hoc basis ...

You'll need an appropriate number of the narrower, 10-speed spacers.

11. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

12. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

13. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Some people on here should time travel back to the 80's when individual cogs were all the rage and drivetrains were twice the weight, three times as noisy and shifted at half the speed...

My first impressions of the Dura Ace 7900 is absolute amazement. I sometimes gotta wonder if the thing actually has a chain it shifts that well and is so quiet.

14. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

You guys can keep listing the IRD cassettes... but try buying the individual cogs or groups of cogs - they won't sell them too ya. You're in the same boat as you were with the Shimano stuff, only the IRD cassettes are heavier and make a fair racket in comparison...

... I know cause I have a 11-32 IRD cassette. I wanted to change the last two cogs to get an 11-30 and the basically told me to feck off and buy an entire cassette. Sweet.

Oh... and the 'nice' IRD cassettes run ~$150. Almost Dura Ace 7800 money.

Might as well buy the SRAM XX-Powerdome of uberlight CNC machined sex-in-chrome cassette that offers no options whatsoever.