Dismantling Shimano dual pivot brakes

Zog The Undenia

Guest
It took 2 years off my life :-(

Thankfully I found an exploded diagram on their website to put the 30-odd bits back together - but
they fail to mention that the thrust bearing assembly uses special nano-ball bearings that aren't
securely caged together!

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It took 2 years off my life :-(
>
> Thankfully I found an exploded diagram on their website to put the 30-odd bits back together - but
> they fail to mention that the thrust bearing assembly uses special nano-ball bearings that aren't
> securely caged together!

It was the lock screw that got me and I forgot to undo it and hence partially stripped the thread
off the central bolt.

Frank X wrote:

> It was the lock screw that got me and I forgot to undo it and hence partially stripped the thread
> off the central bolt.

Same here - but thankfully it wasn't that tight and no damage was done.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank X wrote:
>> >
> Same here - but thankfully it wasn't that tight and no damage was done.

Wait until your try the brake/gear shifters. Too stupid to realise how to change the gear cable
(actually the simplest thing in the world), I took the whole thing to bits. That spring really is
fiddly, even with the shimano tech site diagrams.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:14:19 -0000, "Frank X" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Frank X wrote:
>>> >
>> Same here - but thankfully it wasn't that tight and no damage was done.
>>
>Wait until your try the brake/gear shifters. Too stupid to realise how to change the gear cable
>(actually the simplest thing in the world), I took the whole thing to bits. That spring really is
>fiddly, even with the shimano tech site diagrams.

"No user servicable parts inside (they're all on the garage floor)"

Tim
--
Blue Witch laughed at me