Dissatisfaction with the way Cycling is run in South Africa by the SACF

big_h

Oct 24, 2001
Cycle races in South Africa are run with licenced and fun riders competing in the same race. This is contrary to UCI rules. The South African Cycling Federation has in the past turned a blind eye to this. They have now made a one sided ruling that the rule will be enforced. It also seems that this will be applied selectively. In the larger races (with larger income from race entry revenues) they allow the licenced riders to start and compete mixed. In other races they enforce the rule. South African cyclists are also being cencored on one of the major messageboards in the country. This debate was quite lively on the messageboard and now all messages (some might have been defamatory) have been removed. I as a cyclist protest at this kind of totalitarian rule by a small body that does not care about the fun cyclist.

Hi daar, Ek stem nogal saam dat daar fout is. Ek het ook nog 'n probleem met die wedrenne wat aangebied word waar die ope kategorie nooit prysgeld ontvang nie. Die organiseerders gee net vir die licence cat en die u16 prysgeld. Hulle vergeet natuurlik dat sonder die ope ryers hulle nie 'n wedren sal he nie, want die ope ryers is natuurlik die grootste hoeveelheid by elke wedren. Hoekom kan daar nie drie of vier ryers se inskrywings geld geneem word vir die prysgeld, of gaan die wedrenne net vir die organiseerders om geld uit ons te maak. Ons betaal reeds al meer as R1 per km om deel te neem. Ek mag die saak dalk verkeerd sien uit my oogpunt, maar ek dink nie ek is die enigste 1 wat so voel nie.

Things I have experienced while racing in South Africa as an European where sometimes strange.

First Introduction about myself to clare up from where I look at racing. I am 23 year old used to race in Europe. Raced primarely in western cape while in SA(was 22 at that time), did races in Eastern cape and Namibia too. I consider myself as a pretty serious racer (not a fun rider,but I do have fun). To quote what level I am, I have done 2 Argus Qualifiers I finished in the top 15 of both, I finished top 10 at Namibian cycle classic and won 4 races in my 6 months of racing in SA(including Double Century). I was top 5 on PPA rankings in western Cape and in say approximately 75% of the races and fun rides I rode I finished in the top 10.

So I will give a racers point off view on the issue

I can feel for the point to keep funriders apart from serious racers. It is very dangerous when you race along at high speeds or even sprint for victory when there are riders of a shorter route in front of you. These moving road block cause a lot of anger and Crashes. For that reason the racing bunch should be given clean road, no funriders from other distances in front of them. These people are often in the way or try to hang on to that bunch an cause havoc. Its only part of them and for most not intentionally but they make things way more dangerous for us themselves.

Too keep fun riders and racers separte increases security. Racers do sometimes strange things that might scare fun riders. Many fun riders don't have the bunch riding skills they need to be in a bunch.

Note I speak of racers not licensed riders. So you need seperation of the better more skilled riders from the rest. What you need is a proper ranking to select for level. and the systems in place seem to do their job relatively well.

Licensing is not the way to do this in the way licensing is run at the moment. You can get a licence just by applying. You get these freaks who start with licensed bunch just because they can. I have seen People on ATB's way out of shape starting with racing(licensed) bunch. They(also those on road bikes) only keep up 1 or 5 or maybe the better 20k's. But in that short time they do strange things to keep up and cause a lot off trouble.

SO yes for Keeping funriders and racers apart. No for licensing in the current way to do this.
In general my experiences with SACF werent that positive in SA, well PPA's and winningtime annoyed me quite a lot from time to time to.

AM keen to have a nice discussing on thsi subject with you if ya want

hi guys,

you have to remember that the UCI only reconnise ONE official cycling body from each country.. YOU are either in or out...i have a friend who rides PPA events, he wants them to stay the same, but i do know that the PPA et al have now sold out to the SACF... this is not something new, in the 1970,s the SACF actully BANNED the EP form racing of any kind for 6 weeks, because the EPCA at that time was felt to be getting a bit BOSSY over key issues, it was rumered then that the SACF at that time was just a job for the boys,,,,both EP and WP discussed an alternative FED.. so nothing is new.... but to be politicaly correct, there should be fun rides and racing rides, trouble starts when the fun riders amount to say 10,000, and the sacf has only about 4500 licence holders... what talks, the mighty $

see ya bikeriderfrance,