Distance between pedals and front wheel...

data biscuit

Jun 3, 2003
I'm in the market for an entry level racer. I haven't bought anything as yet. One thing I've noticed (on my favoured OCR2) is that when my feet are in the pedals, if the left foot is forward and I turn the front wheel to the right, the tyre hits my shoe.

Is this typical for road bikes? It wouldn't be a problem at high speed, but at slow speed I imagine it could cause a fall if I didn't clip out first.

Is this something you all learn to live with, or should I find a bike that has more clearance?

I noticed the same when I bought my bike 3 mos ago but haven't had any problems. It only comes into play (at least for me) at VERY slow speeds and I haven't really noticed it. I just make wider turns when looking to turn 180 degrees.

Depends on the size and geometry of the bike. I have ridden bikes that fit me where it's an issue, as well as bikes that fit me where my feet have plenty of clearance. It's like anything else. You just get used to it and learn around it.

Thanks for the tips.

It seems to be a personal preference. (although the sample group so far is very small)

It's something I've noticed and don't like so I might "steer away" from the Giant and find something that doesn't do that.

I don't like to put my foot down when I stop at traffic lights, so it could be a hassle as you need the full range of steering to balance on the spot.

This is a great site btw.

I get toe overlap on my road bike and it's caused me to nearly fall off it more than once. I think you just live with it and be careful if making tight turns. Personally I don't mind the inconvenience of clipping out to turn sharply - if I'm turning that sharply I'm obviously not counting the seconds.

data biscuit said:
Thanks for the tips.

It seems to be a personal preference. (although the sample group so far is very small)

It's something I've noticed and don't like so I might "steer away" from the Giant and find something that doesn't do that.

I don't like to put my foot down when I stop at traffic lights, so it could be a hassle as you need the full range of steering to balance on the spot.

This is a great site btw.
Compact bikes (e.g. Giant) with straight forks make for very responsive handling, especially at high speeds. Some people may argue on this though...

Try a fork with a little more rake, might give you a little more clearance.