Distance riding for kids under 10

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by billham, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. billham

    billham Guest

    Thought it might be fun to see what kind of distances the young ones are
    riding and on what type of uni. I'm thinking of kids 10 and under.

    I thought of this thread due to the recent posts on distance and 24 hour
    rides. I also am posting since I took my daughter out for her first
    distance ride and this thread gives me a chance to brag about my
    daughter. We were on a rail to trail. FYI - A rail to trail is an old
    railroad converted to a trail, very flat with smooth crushed gravel
    surface. We did about 2 miles. I was very pleased with this since she
    is 7 years old, started riding in 6 months ago, and was on a 16"uni
    (that's a lot of wheel revolutions!). We had many UPDs, but her main
    complaint was... "My bum hurts." Some things in life never change. We
    had a fun evening.

    Any other parents want to brag, I mean post about your kids?

    Bill

    --
    billham

    It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
    doubt.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  2. LessIsMore

    LessIsMore Guest

    Ahem...

    Well, since you asked, my oldest son began unicyclying about 6 months
    ago, and now goes on Municycle rides with an informal group of "big
    kids" here in San Diego (some of us are over 40 years old) on
    Saturdays, and does very well on the bumps and hills. My two younger
    sons started a few months later, and will soon be ready for the big
    rides on Saturday (they are 14 and 12). Not to be left behind, even my
    wife has started to learn!
    Six unicycles (of which 4 are Municycles) in the garage and counting!
    Its a blast riding the trails with all three of my kids! (Turns a few
    heads as well)

    --
    LessIsMore

    3 degrees of freedom
    LessIsMore's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6864

  3. chirokid

    chirokid Guest

    That is awesome Bill. Tell that girl I think she's great!!!

    Buying my uni-girl a KH seat was well worth it. She loves the new seat.
    As you know, she is 8 years old. --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

  4. billham

    billham Guest

    LessIsMore

    I'd love it if my wife started to ride, but at present it doesn't look
    like much of a possibility. Hopefully my daughter will grow into a MUni
    rider. I'd love to ride with her in the woods. Time will tell.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
    doubt.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  5. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    My son is 10 and has been riding just shy of two years. Our average for
    muni rides in the local woods is about 3 miles per ride. He has done
    some harder muni rides of up to 6 miles, although was one whooped cookie
    at the end of that.

    I may introduce him to some longer RR-grade riding this summer.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  6. showard

    showard Guest

    My 9 year old daughter started riding about 6 weeks ago on a 16" Torker
    with the biggest knobby tire that will fit in the frame. She has ridden
    about three miles several times.

    Every time we ride I'm amazed at the progress she's making. It's so
    much fun riding with her!

    She was with me at the Moab MUnifest this year as a non-rider and talks
    alot about riding at Moab next year.

    SH

    --
    showard - ------
    showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

  7. jason

    jason Guest

    Greetings,

    I think it's really great when kids enjoy riding unis. My daughter rode
    for a couple of years but has since lost interest. :( My son, on he the
    other hand, has been totally driven by Muni since he first learned to
    ride when he was 5. He's actually the reason I learned to Muni! He's 7
    years old now and we ride a few times week whether or not it's winter or
    summer. Our rides are rarely under a mile and are usually around 2-3
    miles.

    I haven't posted for quite some time about King Muni-Man but he's doing
    great on the Muni trails and he's become quite the little ripper. He's
    now very competitive and often tries to run me into nice little objects,
    like TREES, rather than loose the lead on the trail. It's all in fun
    though. We did rub cranks the other day which sent him flying, but hey,
    he's going to have to learn to take what he's so willing to dish out!
    Right? (grin)

    He's a level 2 on the standard USA skills test but hasn't shown any
    interest in advancing his freestyle technique beyond that. He would
    rather spend his time developing skills to help him on the Muni trails
    (stalls, rolling hops and hopping in place). I'm real proud of the
    little bugger and every ride with him is a real hoot!

    Last winter was quite a bummer due to my surgery, and consiquently no
    riding, but I still managed to get KMM out on the trails and upgrade his
    16" united to very nice Kovachi/Mony 20" setup. He really loves it.
    Here's before and after pic. In the first pic he was 5 and riding a 16"
    united, in the second he's 7 and riding his new 20".

    As for me, my surgery went very well. My knee hasn't felt this good in
    15 years. I missed all the months I didn't ride a uni but that's all
    water under the bridge now. I Muni as much as I can and have been
    enjoying every minute of it!

    Cheers,
    Jason

    | Attachment filename: kmm.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/220962|

    jason - Just some guy
    jason's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1014

  8. billham

    billham Guest

    It's amazing.... I sit here and smile when I read these posts about
    kids I don't even know. There's something about talking about kids that
    makes me smile.

    It's great to see and hear about unicycling being enjoyed by parents and
    their kids. My personal philosphy is that families need to pursue
    activities that can be done together. Too often families are stressed
    out trying to keep up with individual activities (parents and kids) and
    there isn't any time left for quality family time. Kudos to all of you
    who are making family time happen.

    Jason -- great pics of KMM.

    I'm still trying to get my daughter to say yes to riding in a parade
    with me this weekend. No luck yet. Bummer.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
    doubt.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  9. jason

    jason Guest

    billham wrote:
    > *
    > I'm still trying to get my daughter to say yes to riding in a parade
    > with me this weekend. No luck yet. Bummer.
    >
    > Bill *

    My rule has always been not to force this sort of thing. It really seems
    to turn our kids off when we do that. I hope she joins in though! Last
    year King MUni-Man 'crashed' our 4th celebration and was quite the hit
    on his little 16" uni. There were a couple of other adult riders who
    seemed to be amused when he rode up uninvited to meet them during the
    parade.

    --
    jason - Just some guy
    jason's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1014

  10. billham

    billham Guest

    jason

    I agree with your philosphy. I am not making her do anything she
    doesn't want to do. I am strongly encouraging her, but as soon as she
    starts to resist, I back off.

    Sometimes it's hard though. I'm pushing for her to learn her freemount,
    but I need to be careful, she resists pretty quickly. I guess it will
    come with time.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
    doubt.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  11. nathan

    nathan Guest

    My son did his first real Muni ride at age 7 after learning to ride the
    year before. At age 7, he was ok with rides up to 6 or 7 miles. At age
    8, he did his first long hard ride, Mr Toad's Wild Ride at Tahoe which
    is 12 miles and has over 1000' of climbing. Two days later he did the 14
    mile Flume Trail (totalling over 30 miles of offroad in 3 days). These
    rides are all off-road and I'd consider them "distance rides" since they
    take 4-6 hours or so. He worked up to doing rides like this slowly.

    He didn't start doing real distance rides until later - this year at age
    12 he has ridden over 30 miles in a day three times (Coker of course)
    and did 85 miles in two days once, as well as many 10-20 mile rides.

    Definitely don't push it - kids don't get the same pleasure adults might
    out of just doing distance for distance sake. We have a blast on these
    rides though, goofing around and having fun as much as possible. Take
    lots of breaks, eat lots, have snowball fights, etc etc.

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251