Distance runner wanting cycling advice

spikes9

Jan 31, 2008
G'day, I'm a 22 yr old distance runner who is injured atm and I've been riding on an old bike for about 2 weeks. What would be the best way to keep my aerobic fitness on the bike? I have done 2* 85k rides at a pretty comfortable pace and pushed a few sort of tempo style rides.

I guess also I was wondering what does it takes to be a good cyclist? I've been tested a few times with my distance running and have a VO2max of 79.

I guess I should also add I did a solid, solo 40km ride and held 32.5km/h over undulating terrain. Does this indicate I could be okay at cycling or should I stick to running?

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike, there are a lot more variables to riding than there are for running. Suggest you get in contact with you local bike racing club.

spikes9 said:
G'day, I'm a 22 yr old distance runner who is injured atm and I've been riding on an old bike for about 2 weeks. What would be the best way to keep my aerobic fitness on the bike? I have done 2* 85k rides at a pretty comfortable pace and pushed a few sort of tempo style rides.

I guess also I was wondering what does it takes to be a good cyclist? I've been tested a few times with my distance running and have a VO2max of 79.

I guess I should also add I did a solid, solo 40km ride and held 32.5km/h over undulating terrain. Does this indicate I could be okay at cycling or should I stick to running?

Thanks Mike
I think with that V02 max you have natural talent aplenty. I race at elite level, and my V02 max is only just scraping 70....

I think if you are already averaging 32 km/h on a 40k ride you are showing potential - generally riding time trials at an average of 40+ is the sign of an excellent cyclist so if you can add a few clicks to your average you will be doing well. I know I am in good shape when i can ride 100km in just under 3 hours (on the flat - Holland)

With cycling though, perhaps much more so than running - you need top end anaerobic power (pure speed over shorter distances) as well. To train this you really should start racing - so join a club - and no matter how fit and talented you are - your bike handling skills, tactical reading, lack of pure speed etc. will mean you are likely to get dropped a lot in the beginning - however with a bit of perseverance and good advice you'll be fine.