Distance to Start Worrying More

MaxPrime

Jul 20, 2003
Yesterday I cracked the 30 mile barrier (only been riding two weeks). At what mileage do I have to start worrying about eating a snack and drinking energy drinks instead of water? Are there any other things a newbie needs to know about going upwards of 50 mile rides? Thanks

For example, when I go out I warm up a little and just start off - do I need to warm up?

Do I need to do recovery rides the day after?

MaxPrime said:
For example, when I go out I warm up a little and just start off - do I need to warm up?

Do I need to do recovery rides the day after?
Warming up is always a good idea, a bit of stretching wouldn't do any harm either. As the intensity of the ride increases, the warm up becomes more important. I tend not to think about a specific warm up for easy spins.
As for recovery rides, they are meant to give you an active recovery from hard training in previous training sessions. Get your legs moving and get the blood flowing through them again without running down your muscular energy stores and without building up any lactate.
If you don't feel tired and your legs aren't aching then it is likely that you don't need a recovery ride. Having said that, I don't know what your training is and what your physiology is like so can't give a definitive answer which will be correct in all cases.
I think it is another one of those grey areas where you need to know how your body reacts and if you need a recovery day(whether rest or active) ;)

MaxPrime said:
Yesterday I cracked the 30 mile barrier (only been riding two weeks). At what mileage do I have to start worrying about eating a snack and drinking energy drinks instead of water? Are there any other things a newbie needs to know about going upwards of 50 mile rides? Thanks

Look at it more by time in the saddle than by distance. As a rough guess, I'd say that for rides up to about 2hrs, you don't really need calories (you should always have water, and if it's really hot, either salt tabs or a simple electrolyte/energy drink a la Gatorade). You really shouldn't be in any danger of bonking on shorter rides.

Once you get up to 3-4hr rides, while you probably don't *need* them, you're probably going to start wanting some calories in the saddle, if only to top off your energy stores. For rides of that duration, I'd recommend carrying a few gels - pop one every hour or so and you'll do fine.

For rides beyond 4hrs, you'll *need* calories. A good strategy here is a few powerbars, and a few gels as well, (but not at the same time). Maybe a gel the 1st hr, a powerbar the 2nd, then a gel again, etc.

In any case, if you start using a nutrition plan like this, be careful that you don't give yourself license to pig out when you get done w/ your ride - if you've been refueling on the ride, then you can't exactly go eat a pizza 'since I rode so long today' <G>. You may still be very hungry, but your caloric deficit won't be as big as it would be had you not eaten anything on your ride.

as in all things, YMMV . . .

well i used to have a problem just doing mainly recreation riding like it sounds you're doing, once i hit 35-40 miles i would NEED more calories.
I have since gotten into racing and learning how to eat properly every day and I can go 55-60 without an energy bar or extra calories, but being in your circumstances I'd be careful about going much further than 35 without some food.

As for warm ups etc, i find it essential for racing, but just riding, not so much, just as long as you don't go all out the first 5 miles of your ride. Stretching I've found through running cross country in high school and riding that stretching before an event really isn't that necessary, rather, stretching AFTER your workout is very necessary. That way your muscles don't get tight on you after your ride. A cool down doesn't hurt either but again, just take your last few miles easier. That can be replaced by walking after you ride and then stretch after your walk.

MaxPrime said:
During exercise lasting longer than an hour and which elicits fatigue, it is advisable to consume 30-60g per hour of rapidly absorbed carbs. because it generally improves performance. A sports drink is perfect for this. A sports drink with sodium will stimulate sugar and water absorption and replace that lost in sweat so helping to avoid hyponatraemia(this can be a problem if you are doing long rides in hot weather and just drinking water). It will also encourage you to drink more.
Second thoughts, if you are in the UK then hot weather prob. isn't something you realy need to worry about at the moment :)

MaxPrime said:
Thanks for the replies guys - I think I have a handle on it now.

Good stuff here. I would add a couple more tips. First, increase your mileage slowly. One long ride a week is plenty, and adding on 10% distance or less each week is usually plenty.

Also, watch the speed/intensity when going for your longest rides, You want to keep aerobic as much as possible; saving your glycogen reserves and muscle strength. Surges in power uphills, or speeding on the flats, will eat up energy that you'll probably miss later in the ride.

Besides, if you're feeling strong with 5-10 miles to go, you can always turn up the pace a bit, knowing you've got it made.

10% a week sounds like a good goal. How do you save energy on those climbs? I tend to get sapped out by them.

condition yourself to run high rpms especially up hills (90-95+) that way you have more power (think about a car and gearing), but if you just cram a bigger gear and lower rpm (80 on down) it takes more energy to move you (again think of a car going up a hill in too high of a gear, it puts a lot of strain on the car or even kills it if you don't shift down in some cases)

MaxPrime said:
10% a week sounds like a good goal. How do you save energy on those climbs? I tend to get sapped out by them.
I shoot for 5% on my long ride of the week. Of course I should say I am 53 years old and in my first year of serious riding after being a rec. rider for years. I plan on riding my first century on sept 11. I have been riding 130 to 150 miles a week. I just retired on 20 August and am in better shape in most ways than I have been in 25 years . Can't say enuff abought what cycling is doing for me.
I am lucky in that the century course starts a mile from my home and I train on it five and six days a week.I do poweraid on every ride and use gels and granola bars on the long rides of the week. I don't want to bonk fifty miles from home and have to call in for support , though my wife is available to come get me.
Ride like the wind!