Distance travelled in 45 minute spin class?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Googlicious, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Googlicious

    Googlicious Guest

    Hi. Apart from "you don't travel anywhere" har har - how far does one
    travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?
    Thanks!

    cycling biking bike

    Tags:

  2. My gut response to you questions was "about 13 miles".

    The challenge in comparing rides on a spin bike with an outdoor ride is
    that there's usually no energy output measurement on a spin bike. On
    my road bike, I carry a GPS, so after the fact, I can use a utility to
    show distanct, climbing and speed. That can then caclulate wattage.
    If we had average wattage (not peak) from a session on a spin bike, we
    could correlate that to distance and climbing on a spin bike and give a
    pretty accurate estimation of an equivelant ride.

    But we don't have average wattage from a spin ride...

    So, I started looking back at my stats over the last few months for my
    rides. Here are my averages over the last several weeks:

    - Average ride length = 12.5 miles
    - Average climbing = 560 feet
    - Average ride length = 52 minutes

    Now, for me, most of my spin rides (2 or 3 a week, my wife's an
    instructor) are more recovery riding or hard intervals than anything
    aproximating an outdoor ride. They're very hard to compare. Plus,
    most people notice that the same preceived effort on a spin bike
    results in a much lower heart rate than a bicycle - it's just very
    different.

    Anyway, Here's my guess: I'd say _my_ average 45 minute spin ride
    would be the equivelent of about a 14 mile flat ride outside.

    Joe

  3. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Googlicious wrote:

    > how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

    15.1 miles

    Art Harris

  4. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Art Harris wrote:
    > Googlicious wrote:
    >
    >> how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

    > 15.1 miles

    LIAR!

  5. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Bill Sornson wrote:

    Art Harris wrote:
    >> Googlicious wrote:

    >>> how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

    >> 15.1 miles

    > LIAR!

    OK, 14.8 miles.

    Art H.