Ditchling Beacon

Andy B

Guest
The london to brighton cycle ride takes in Ditchling Beacon. I've never done this ride before but
years ago i was down at Ditchling Beacon watching a classic race. All i remember is that it's a
right steep hill. Can someone give me an insight to tackling it? I'm now trying to get in as much
hill practice as I can beforehand.

Andy

Andy B wrote:

> The london to brighton cycle ride takes in Ditchling Beacon. I've never done this ride before but
> years ago i was down at Ditchling Beacon watching a classic race. All i remember is that it's a
> right steep hill. Can someone give me an insight to tackling it? I'm now trying to get in as much
> hill practice as I can beforehand.

Don't be overawed by its undeserved reputation and just ride up within yourself. If that means
walking do so. The biggest problem will be other riders either walking up or weaving all over the
road, which may force you to stop and/or walk anyway.

I wouldn't bother with specific "hill practice" for Ditchling, but some slow bike manoevering skills
and rapid unclipping (if you use clips or spds) will certainly come in handy.

Enjoy the ride.

John B

John B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Andy B wrote:
>
> > The london to brighton cycle ride takes in Ditchling Beacon. I've never done this ride before
> > but years ago i was down at Ditchling Beacon watching a classic race. All i remember is that
> > it's a right steep hill. Can someone give me an insight to tackling it? I'm now trying to get in
> > as much hill practice as I can beforehand.
>
> Don't be overawed by its undeserved reputation and just ride up within yourself. If that means
> walking do so. The biggest problem will be other riders either walking up or weaving all over the
> road, which may force you to stop and/or walk anyway.
>
> I wouldn't bother with specific "hill practice" for Ditchling, but some slow bike manoevering
> skills and rapid unclipping (if you use clips or spds) will certainly come in handy.
>
> Enjoy the ride.
>
> John B

Thanks John. I'm looking forward to it now.

.

> > I wouldn't bother with specific "hill practice" for Ditchling, but some slow bike manoevering
> > skills and rapid unclipping (if you use clips or spds) will certainly come in handy.
> >
> > Enjoy the ride.

The worst bit is until you are out of the wooded bit at the first LH bend, after that you can
pace yourself.If you can stay in the saddle there will be dozens of other riders cheering you on
at the top.I've even seen riders pushing an ice cream bike full of ice tea with their bikes on
the top of it up with the rider pedalling for all his worth! When you reach the top the
atmosphere is electric,hundreds of bikes riders and an ice cream van and a fantastic descent into
Brighton Enjoy!!!

"Andy B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John B <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Andy B wrote:
> >
> > > The london to brighton cycle ride takes in Ditchling Beacon. I've never done this ride before
> > > but years ago i was down at Ditchling Beacon watching a classic race. All i remember is that
> > > it's a right steep hill. Can someone give me an insight to tackling it? I'm now trying to get
> > > in as much hill practice as I can beforehand.

Also, DB isn't a straight long steep slope - it's a series of 'steps', so you will get the chance to
'rest' in between the more strenuous bursts of efforts you use in getting up the steeper bits. And
even then, at its steepest, I don't think it's more than 18% - and even then, it's only that for a
short section. So yes - it's really much bark but little bite. If you want a *real* hill, try Titsey
Hill in the North Downs.

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Also, DB isn't a straight long steep slope - it's a series of 'steps', so you will get the chance
> to 'rest' in between the more strenuous bursts of efforts you use in getting up the steeper bits.
> And even then, at its steepest, I don't think it's more than 18% - and even then, it's only that
> for a short section. So yes - it's really much bark but little bite. If you want a *real* hill,
> try Titsey Hill in the North Downs.

I've not tried Titsey Hill . (Its just West of where I normally come down so I'll extend my route a
few km's, to give it a look the easy way ).

I can remember finding a road near there call (I think?) Succombs hill which I found difficult to
walk up, let alone ride .

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Also, DB isn't a straight long steep slope - it's a series of 'steps', so you will get the
> > chance to 'rest' in between the more strenuous bursts of efforts you use in getting up the
> > steeper bits. And even then, at its steepest, I don't think it's more than 18% - and even then,
> > it's only that for a short section. So yes - it's really much bark but little bite. If you want
> > a *real* hill, try Titsey Hill in the North Downs.
> >
> I've not tried Titsey Hill . (Its just West of where I normally come down
so
> I'll extend my route a few km's, to give it a look the easy way ).
>
> I can remember finding a road near there call (I think?) Succombs hill which I found difficult to
> walk up, let alone ride .

Ah. Succombs Hill - at 25%, that's the steepest hill I know of near the London area. I was only able
to make it up the hill on my bike after two unsuccessful attempts. The only reason I mention Titsey
ahead of Succombs is because Titsey is longer.

If you do try Titsey Hill, the major irritant is that cars tend to drive very close to you because
no overtaking is allowed.

Out of curiosity, where do you come down the Downs?

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

> Ah. Succombs Hill - at 25%, that's the steepest hill I know of near the London area. I was only
> able to make it up the hill on my bike after two unsuccessful attempts. The only reason I mention
> Titsey ahead of Succombs is because Titsey is longer.
>
> If you do try Titsey Hill, the major irritant is that cars tend to drive very close to you because
> no overtaking is allowed.

in a moment of madness i did reach 57mph going down Titsey hill... totally irresponsible i know and
wouldnt do it now as the road surface is just terrible. but an absolute bugger to get up, i always
skirt around it via pilgrims way and come up the longer but less steep route on the right (if going
up Titsey hill) hand side.

mark

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Also, DB isn't a straight long steep slope - it's a series of 'steps', so you will get the
> > > chance to 'rest' in between the more strenuous bursts of efforts you use in getting up the
> > > steeper bits. And even then, at its steepest, I don't think it's more than 18% - and even
> > > then, it's only that for a short section. So yes - it's really much bark but little bite. If
> > > you want a *real* hill, try Titsey Hill in the North Downs.
> > >
> > I've not tried Titsey Hill . (Its just West of where I normally come
down
> so
> > I'll extend my route a few km's, to give it a look the easy way ).
> >
> > I can remember finding a road near there call (I think?) Succombs hill which I found difficult
> > to walk up, let alone ride .
>
> Ah. Succombs Hill - at 25%, that's the steepest hill I know of near the London area. I was only
> able to make it up the hill on my bike after two unsuccessful attempts. The only reason I mention
> Titsey ahead of Succombs is because Titsey is longer.
>
> If you do try Titsey Hill, the major irritant is that cars tend to drive very close to you because
> no overtaking is allowed.
>
> Out of curiosity, where do you come down the Downs?

Recently I have been coming down Sundridge Hill (few cars, but slow), not because its good to come
down but because it suits the rest of my cicuit, I go back home up a very easy route (with virtually
no cars) in the east past Shoreham called Chelsfield lane.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > I've not tried Titsey Hill . (Its just West of where I normally come
> down
> > so
> > > I'll extend my route a few km's, to give it a look the easy way ).
> > >
> > > I can remember finding a road near there call (I think?) Succombs
hill
> > > which I found difficult to walk up, let alone ride .
> >
> > Ah. Succombs Hill - at 25%, that's the steepest hill I know of near the London area. I was only
> > able to make it up the hill on my bike after two unsuccessful attempts. The only reason I
> > mention Titsey ahead of Succombs is because Titsey is longer.
> >
> > If you do try Titsey Hill, the major irritant is that cars tend to drive very close to you
> > because no overtaking is allowed.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, where do you come down the Downs?
> >

> Recently I have been coming down Sundridge Hill (few cars, but slow), not because its good to come
> down but because it suits the rest of my cicuit, I go back home up a very easy route (with
> virtually no cars) in the east past Shoreham called Chelsfield lane.

When you say it's 'slow', what do you mean? I thought that all the lanes east of Westerham Hill
(Hogtrough, Brasted, Sundridge Hills) were all 'single arrow' hills and therefore guaranteed a fast
downhill run... or do you mean it's too twisty and narrow to go fast?

Akin

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > down
> > > so

> hill
> > >
> > > Ah. Succombs Hill - at 25%, that's the steepest hill I know of near the London area. I was
> > > only able to make it up the hill on my bike after two unsuccessful attempts. The only reason I
> > > mention Titsey ahead of Succombs is because Titsey is longer.
> > >
> > > If you do try Titsey Hill, the major irritant is that cars tend to drive very close to you
> > > because no overtaking is allowed.
> > >
> > > Out of curiosity, where do you come down the Downs?
> > >

> > Recently I have been coming down Sundridge Hill (few cars, but slow), not because its good to
> > come down but because it suits the rest of my cicuit, I go back home up a very easy route (with
> > virtually no cars) in the east past Shoreham called Chelsfield lane.
>
> When you say it's 'slow', what do you mean? I thought that all the lanes east of Westerham Hill
> (Hogtrough, Brasted, Sundridge Hills) were all 'single arrow' hills and therefore guaranteed a
> fast downhill run... or do you mean it's too twisty and narrow to go fast?

Yep, too narrow, too twisty, too steep, I couldn't stop if anything was coming from the opposite
directions, so its full on the brakes.

> Akin

Also you've got to give way at the Pilgrims Way junctions. Don't forget Chalkpit Hill but I reckon
the mother of all hills is York's Hill (up from Bough Beech Reservoir, west of Sevenoaks)

Frank wrote:

> "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>>>down

>>hill

>>>Recently I have been coming down Sundridge Hill (few cars, but slow), not because its good to
>>>come down but because it suits the rest of my cicuit, I go back home up a very easy route (with
>>>virtually no cars) in the east past Shoreham called Chelsfield lane.
>>>
>>When you say it's 'slow', what do you mean? I thought that all the lanes east of Westerham Hill
>>(Hogtrough, Brasted, Sundridge Hills) were all 'single arrow' hills and therefore guaranteed a
>>fast downhill run... or do you mean it's too twisty and narrow to go fast?
>>

> Yep, too narrow, too twisty, too steep, I couldn't stop if anything was coming from the opposite
> directions, so its full on the brakes.
>

>>Akin

In article <[email protected]>, Andy B
<[email protected]> writes
>The london to brighton cycle ride takes in Ditchling Beacon. I've never done this ride before but
>years ago i was down at Ditchling Beacon watching a classic race. All i remember is that it's a
>right steep hill. Can someone give me an insight to tackling it? I'm now trying to get in as much
>hill practice as I can beforehand.

I managed it on my first attempt at the London-Brighton ride in 1988 without any previous practice.
I was standing on the pedals in lowest gear for most of the way, and was puce by the time I reached
the top. That was a particularly hot day.

I tried again a few years later but only got about a third of the way before my path was blocked
by cyclists walking up and I had to dismount. Doubt very much if I could do it now, even with a
clear path.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:25:24 +0100, contributor Cr had scribed:
> I reckon the mother of all hills is York's Hill (up from Bough Beech Reservoir, west of Sevenoaks)

Nah, Rosedale Chimney Bank in the North York Moors. Beware of the sheep on the descent! Even Milk
Race/Kellogg's Tour riders have been known to walk this one.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Gary Knighton wrote:

> Nah, Rosedale Chimney Bank in the North York Moors. Beware of the sheep on the descent! Even Milk
> Race/Kellogg's Tour riders have been known to walk this one.

Silly FOREIGNERS, that is. "Pah!", they exclaimed, inna-Continental-stylee. "There are no mountains
in England!". The locals, meanwhile, had fitted sensible gears for that stage, weaved through the
mass of collapsing Europeans and pedestrians and scarpered.

How we larfed.

The bitsteepfulness of The Devil's Staircase in mid-Wales is terrific, and harsh words have beeen
said of Hard Knott and Wrynose passes in the Lakes and the climb up from the beach at Robin
Hood's Bay.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

: The bitsteepfulness of The Devil's Staircase in mid-Wales is terrific, and harsh words have beeen
: said of Hard Knott and Wrynose passes in the Lakes and the climb up from the beach at Robin
: Hood's Bay.

Only ever walked the last one (while staying in the nearby YH). It's hard to walk up in even MTB
cycling shoes :)

Arthur

Lord Lester

On Tue, 27 May 2003 15:21:48 +0100, contributor Dave Larrington had scribed:
> Silly FOREIGNERS, that is. "Pah!", they exclaimed, inna-Continental-stylee. "There are no
> mountains in England!". The locals, meanwhile, had fitted sensible gears for that stage, weaved
> through the mass of collapsing Europeans and pedestrians and scarpered.
>
> How we larfed.
>
> The bitsteepfulness of The Devil's Staircase in mid-Wales is terrific, and harsh words have beeen
> said of Hard Knott and Wrynose passes in the Lakes and the climb up from the beach at Robin
> Hood's Bay.

Funny enough there were a few walkers up Garrowby Hill (a tame 1 in 6, which some of us locals rode
up earlier after meeting up at Thixendale, a few 1 in ever so lows around there) during a Milk Race
stage over a decade ago.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Yorks Hill, whilst steep, is not the steepest or longest in the hills West of Sevenoaks This is
(according to the road sign) a maximum of 16%. I think that the steepest is Downe Road
(http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=544315&Y=160085&A=Y&Z=3), near Biggin Hill, which
is 25%, though only for a short way. White Hill Lane
(http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=546970&Y=151500&A=Y&Z=3) near Caterham must be
similar, and is longer. For steep and long, Chalk Lane
(http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=538240&Y=154680&A=Y&Z=3), North from Oxted, which
is 20% (steeper than Yorks Hill), or Toys Hill
(http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=546970&Y=151500&A=Y&Z=3), which is probably
slightly less.

However, none of these hills rise more than 200m from the plain, so they are not too painful, but
all harder than Ditchling Beacon, in my opinion.

I avoid going up Titsey Hill - there is far too much traffic, and so many other hills.