Divides in cycling

2LAP

New Member
Feb 22, 2002
1,265
A few years ago there used to be a big divide between road riders and mountain bikers, however now many cyclists own both types of bikes and take part in onroad and offroad activities.

Even BMX is being accepted into mainstream cycling with its inclusion in coaching courses, in the olympics, Jamie Staff's track success, inclusion on talent programs throughout the UK.

Following comments in another thread about aggressive racer types, etc. Do you think that there is a divide or a divide developing between (1) cyclists that complete events (touring events or races) and train to ride faster, and (2) between commuter cyclists or cyclists that ride for health, the environment or occasioaly for fun?

Some differences (from the other thread) between the two groups are very apparent:
1. Distances ridden and time spent riding.
2. Types of equipment needed, life of equipment, cost of equipment.
3. Motives for riding.
4. Different risks and threats.
5. The use of a car in cycling (e.g. one group of cyclists little need for car; the other group of cyclists often dependant on cars for access to events and travel to training.

Does this divide exist; do people see racing cyclist types as 'agressive racers' (in the same way young guys in golfs are boy racers) and do racing cyclists see communters as less 'serious cyclist'?

My personal opinion (which so far hasn't been given much value) is that; both types are valid cyclists. Yet I make the distinction between cyclists and 'pedestrians on bikes'. Pedestrians on bikes being people who are not 'cyclists' (children and/or adults) that use pavements and/or pay little attention to the laws of the road (running red lights, riding up the wrong side of the road); I'm sure you have all seen them?

In news:[email protected],
2LAP <[email protected]> typed:
> My personal opinion (which so far hasn't been given much value) is that; both types are valid
> cyclists. Yet I make the distinction between cyclists and 'pedestrians on bikes'.

Your personal opinion hasn't been given much credence because the manner in which you posted
reduces the credibility of your claims to be a high mileage cyclist. It is this which has been
called into question.

The divide between transport and leisure cyclists is hardly new.

> Pedestrians on bikes being people who are not 'cyclists' (children and/or adults) that use
> pavements and/or pay little attention to the laws of the road (running red lights, riding up the
> wrong side of the road); I'm sure you have all seen them?

Yes. They can be a pain, and reduce the amount of respect you get on the road.

2LAP wrote:

> Does this divide exist; do people see racing cyclist types as 'agressive racers' (in the same way
> young guys in golfs are boy racers) and do racing cyclists see communters as less 'serious
> cyclist'?

I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when (say)
stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is reciprocated
by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on expensive road bikes.

pk

Originally posted by Ambrose Nankive
> My personal opinion (which so far hasn't been given much value) is that; both types are valid
> cyclists. Yet I make the distinction between cyclists and 'pedestrians on bikes'.

Your personal opinion hasn't been given much credence because the manner in which you posted
reduces the credibility of your claims to be a high mileage cyclist. It is this which has been
called into question.

The divide between transport and leisure cyclists is hardly new.
[/B]
Ah, I see, next time I want some credibility I'll say the sun is always shining, the roads are always smooth, cycling is safe and you never get out of breath or feel pain when riding a bike! Only joking, not sure what my mileage has to do with my opinions on cycling. Unless of course all the hours in the saddle, not doing things that other 15 to 25 year olds do (I've been riding seriously for 10 years) has made me bitter and twisted.

Anyway, the divide is new to me and something that I've picked up on this forum. Is it a problem or something we can live with?
Originally posted by Ambrose Nankive
> Pedestrians on bikes being people who are not 'cyclists' (children and/or adults) that use
> pavements and/or pay little attention to the laws of the road (running red lights, riding up the
> wrong side of the road); I'm sure you have all seen them?

Yes. They can be a pain, and reduce the amount of respect you get on the road.

Something we agree on; these people give us 'true cyclists' a bad reputation. Its a shame that the normal public can't discriminate between 'true cyclists' and other riders; we would have a much better reputation if they could.

2LAP wrote:
> A few years ago there used to be a big divide between road riders and mountain bikers, however now
> many cyclists own both types of bikes and take part in onroad and offroad activities.
>
> Even BMX is being accepted into mainstream cycling with its inclusion in coaching courses, in the
> olympics, Jamie Staff's track success, inclusion on talent programs throughout the UK.
>
> Following comments in another thread about aggressive racer types, etc. Do you think that there is
> a divide or a divide developing between (1) cyclists that complete events (touring events or
> races) and train to ride faster, and (2) between commuter cyclists or cyclists that ride for
> health, the environment or occasioaly for fun?

One clear divide is between arrogant road riders who will try as hard as possible to blow potential
new club members off the back of the bunch, and those semi-fit riders who would like to have a go
but can't maintain 25mph in a bunch for 3 hours, so get dropped and never try again. Some clubs are
very good but others seem to be comprised solely of tossers.

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.

I get sniffy treatment from roadies as well. I like to return the compliment by cruising
past them :)

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.

My experience is most people on bikes I meet say hello if I'm here (dales), but nobody does if I'm
in Cambridgeshire (even if I'm out away from the city). Doing my best to spread the yokel image!

(no difference between MTBers and roadies, but I am normally on a drop bar tourer or tandem, so
maybe this gets round people's sniffiness here)

cheers, clive

PK wrote:
> 2LAP wrote:
>>
>> Does this divide exist; do people see racing cyclist types as 'agressive racers' (in the same way
>> young guys in golfs are boy racers) and do racing cyclists see communters as less 'serious
>> cyclist'?
>

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.
>
> pk

Its not the bike its the rider. There are ignoramouses on all types of machine.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:47:12 +0000 (UTC), PK wrote:

> 2LAP wrote:
>>
>> Does this divide exist; do people see racing cyclist types as 'agressive racers' (in the same way
>> young guys in golfs are boy racers) and do racing cyclists see communters as less 'serious
>> cyclist'?
>

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.
>
> pk

What would you rather? To be ignored by a majority of roadies or a minority?
--
Michael MacClancy Random pleonasm - "The world is apathetic but I don¢t care."
www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.
>
> pk

Road(1 posh, 1 hack) and MTB rider, & I usually greet all other cyclists with a nod at least.
However, I do find it amusing when MTBers zoom past when I'm on my road bike, only for me to go past
them again up the road where they've slowed & are puffing away, (usually kids). Not always the case
though; a while back, two colleauges did a 10 TT, and one did it on his old MTB & beat the other,
much to his chagrin.

Niv.

2LAP <[email protected]> writes:

> A few years ago there used to be a big divide between road riders and mountain bikers, however now
> many cyclists own both types of bikes and take part in onroad and offroad activities.
>
> Even BMX is being accepted into mainstream cycling with its inclusion in coaching courses, in the
> olympics, Jamie Staff's track success, inclusion on talent programs throughout the UK.
>
> Following comments in another thread about aggressive racer types, etc. Do you think that there is
> a divide or a divide developing between (1) cyclists that complete events (touring events or
> races) and train to ride faster, and (2) between commuter cyclists or cyclists that ride for
> health, the environment or occasioaly for fun?

I don't believe so, no. People may cycle for different reasons at different stages in their life -
in my youth I cycled mainly for political reasons, then mainly for utility (commuting etc), later
mainly for recreation, and now mainly for recreation and health. But if you cycle, you cycle (more
or less). Even when you're driving you're aware of the problems and needs of cyclists. I'm certainly
not aware of any hostility from any particular group of cyclists to any other.

'graveyards are full of indispensable people'

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.

My experience is the reverse. I nearly always get acknowledgements from roadies and tourists but
only rarely from MTB'ers. Maybe people are predisposed to acknowledge those on similar bikes. I make
a point of greeting all other cyclists.

--
Dave...

Originally posted by Anonymous
"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I only have a MTB, cycle locally and to and from off road trails. My observation is that when
> (say) stoping at traffic lights beside another cyclist a freindly nod or g'mornin' from me is
> reciprocated by almost all riders of MTB's but sniffily ignored by a minority of roadies on
> expensive road bikes.

My experience is most people on bikes I meet say hello if I'm here (dales), but nobody does if I'm
in Cambridgeshire (even if I'm out away from the city). Doing my best to spread the yokel image!

(no difference between MTBers and roadies, but I am normally on a drop bar tourer or tandem, so
maybe this gets round people's sniffiness here)

cheers, clive
I've also noticed regional variations; which is perhaps why I didn't notice a divide between groups of 'real cyclists' in the way that others are.

I often wonder why horse riders, walkers and cyclists don't get on more given that they do similar activities. I often find that ramblers and horse riders don't like cyclists, no matter how polite or slow that I ride past them.

"2LAP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I've also noticed regional variations; which is perhaps why I didn't notice a divide between
> groups of 'real cyclists' in the way that others are.
>
> I often wonder why horse riders, walkers and cyclists don't get on more given that they do similar
> activities. I often find that ramblers and horse riders don't like cyclists, no matter how polite
> or slow that I ride past them.

I alos notice an interesting difference.

I cycle round Richmond park every sunday moring with a regular group (off road gravel track, mtbs,
for those who don't know it). I also do it in the summer midweek and do 3/4 circuits.

Weekend: mutual antipath between cyclists/walkers/runners. Pleases, smiles and nods ignored. Many
(?majority) in each group are grumpy buggers toward members of other groups. Walkers and runners
seem to make a point and take delight in not making any allowance for cyclists. (It is pedestrian
priority, but groups of runners filling the whole witdth of the path is a bit much!) some cyclists
are arrogant twits who make like difficult even for other cyclists

Midweek: All one big happy family. Pleases/thank yous from and to cyclists passing runners/walkers.
Runners automaticlly move ro one side of the path as they see me approach or hear me from behind.
Walkers, smile and say good morning. Runners move into single file when walkers approach.

Friends who also do weekend/midweeks there also remark on the same idfference.

pk

In article <[email protected]>,
PK <[email protected]> wrote:
> Weekend: mutual antipath between cyclists/walkers/runners. Pleases, smiles and nods ignored. Many
> (?majority) in each group are grumpy buggers toward

I make a point of saying thank you every time someone steps aside on the towpaths I use, and I think
almost always I get a smile or something in return. Maybe it's better in the week, but it's
certainly not noticeably so.

ian

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message

> One clear divide is between arrogant road riders who will try as hard as possible to blow
> potential new club members off the back of the bunch, and those semi-fit riders who would like to
> have a go but can't maintain 25mph in a bunch for 3 hours, so get dropped and never try again.
> Some clubs are very good but others seem to be comprised solely of tossers.

that's often true but is more of a sub-species within road bike riders and not strictly to do with
the MTB/road bike issue.Many traditional clubs are aimed fairly and squarely at racing/TT's. And
then there is the cross vs MTB debate;-)