Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

donquijote1954

Guest
"Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
our automobiles. There is help, you can Divorce Your Car, if you are so
bold. Heck, you could save $30,000 over the next five years ($6000 per
year)."

Yep, just like you deserve to be free from a bad marriage (tell me
about it), you deserve to be free from the enslavement of the
automibile. Well, then you can get into a hot romance with a red (or
whatever color you like) bike or recumbent. They are simply cool as
well as more troublefree and cheaper. And they'll give you a nice
attention-getter physique wich is bound to end in a torrid affair
(unlike an SUV with tinted windows meant to hide a short fat man).

Anyway, whatever your reasons, don't tell you wife... ;)

Cars: True Cost of Ownership

Gasoline is $3.11 per gallon in Port Townsend this week (unleaded
plus). Some feel this is expensive, but gas prices in the USA are cheap
compared to the rest of the world where upwards of $6 per gallon is
more the norm. If your car gets 20 mpg, you currently have to pay
$2300+ for a years (15K miles) worth of gas (per car) - such a deal.

http://ptslacker.blogspot.com/2006/04/cars-true-cost-of-ownership.html

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1

BIKE FOR PEACE
http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

"donquijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
> our automobiles.

Many of us are enslaved to our wives too, but that does not mean we want
a divorce. Both are necessary for a normal life.

george conklin wrote:
> "donquijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
>> our automobiles.

> Many of us are enslaved to our wives too, but that does not mean we
> want a divorce. Both are necessary for a normal life.

Wow. So much wrong in so few words. Brava!

On 17 Jul 2006 07:35:27 -0700, "donquijote1954"

<<SNIP>>

First Windmills, now cars. Guess they offer more sport.

:p

later,

tom

donquijote1954 wrote:
> "Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
> our automobiles. There is help, you can Divorce Your Car, if you are so
> bold. Heck, you could save $30,000 over the next five years ($6000 per
> year)."
>
> Yep, just like you deserve to be free from a bad marriage (tell me
> about it), you deserve to be free from the enslavement of the
> automibile. Well, then you can get into a hot romance with a red (or
> whatever color you like) bike or recumbent. They are simply cool as
> well as more troublefree and cheaper. And they'll give you a nice
> attention-getter physique wich is bound to end in a torrid affair
> (unlike an SUV with tinted windows meant to hide a short fat man).
>
> Anyway, whatever your reasons, don't tell you wife... ;)
>

> Cars: True Cost of Ownership
>
> Gasoline is $3.11 per gallon in Port Townsend this week (unleaded
> plus). Some feel this is expensive, but gas prices in the USA are cheap
> compared to the rest of the world where upwards of $6 per gallon is
> more the norm. If your car gets 20 mpg, you currently have to pay
> $2300+ for a years (15K miles) worth of gas (per car) - such a deal.
>
> http://ptslacker.blogspot.com/2006/04/cars-true-cost-of-ownership.html
>
> WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
> http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
>
> COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE
> http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1
>
> BIKE FOR PEACE
> http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

I think you are somewhat city-o-centric. Maybe you can "live" without
a car and have fun on a bike, but not everyone can. I can't. My city
is under 5,000 people with most of it on an Indian Reservation. We're
20 miles from almost anything. You may have fun on your bike, but in
my community there's no place that sells bikes, or tires, or tubes or
anything you would need. We could come up with the compressed air, but
that's about it.

I work out of my house. When I travel, sometimes the meetings are 350
miles away. Sort of tough on a bike -- esp. if you want to make it a
day trip. Oh, did I mention a nearly complete lack of public
transportation. Could take Trailways north and then go to the meeting.
I should get there sometime, I guess.

I am not arguing that most people don't need SUVs or such, but out
here, you pretty much need a car.

Glad to see a post in this group. It's been dead lately. But please
don't try to impose your view on others and tell us what we need when
you have no idea. You and I live in a different world.

One last example for you to think about. What if you went hunting and
got a deer. How would you bring it back to your house on a bike? 10
miles on dirt roads pulling a deer on your recumbant? It's be fun to
see.

Oh, did I mention snow storms. I can't imaging a bike on 6" of
unplowed snow on a packed snow base when it's -20F and windy. Those
car heaters sure come in handy then.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> One last example for you to think about. What if you went hunting and
> got a deer. How would you bring it back to your house on a bike?

He would cut it up into 132 pieces, eat 10, and bring the rest home 3 at
a time.

In article <[email protected]>, Pat wrote:

> Oh, did I mention snow storms. I can't imaging a bike on 6" of
> unplowed snow on a packed snow base when it's -20F and windy. Those
> car heaters sure come in handy then.

In an urban environment, if there is 6 inches of snow on the ground you
have a better chance of getting where you are going with the bicycle or
with snow shoes for that matter..... Not because there aren't motor
vehicles that could handle those conditions, but because the roads would
be stop and stop gridlock with the drivers who cannot.

In article <[email protected]>, John S. wrote:

> Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
> 8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
> riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
> same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
> to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
> stoplights.

You're nuts. My last job was 6 miles away. Time by car or bicycle was
about equal. 17-20minutes by bicycle. 15-20 minutes by car. New job is 9
miles away, have to take a different route by bicycle. It takes
35minutes by bicycle, 25 minutes by car. About 5 minutes less for each
coming back. Even if I had to go 20miles, I would still make it there in
an hour if I faced stop lights every 1/2-3/4 of mile or so on average.
Fewer lights and stop signs means reduced travel time.

> Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000; Medical
> expenses from road injuries $2,000

I have been riding since I was about 5 years old. I've been riding for 30
years. I can count injuries that needed banages on one hand. I think I've
spent $5 on them if that. Since 1982 I have had 3 bicycles. They cost
$150, $380, and $1200 in that order. I have yet to spend $2000 in
repairs. In fact, if you added everything I've ever spent on bicycles
together in the last 24 years, it probably wouldn't make $2000. Hell, my
second bicycle, when it was worn out I ordered the one I ride now.
However I needed to make a repair to keep riding the old one. The new
parts cost me the huge sum of SIX dollars.

> When it snows, or rains the commuter is either off work and not paid
> because he cant make it in, or he is forced to get a hotel room close
> to work because he can't ride home in inclement weather.

Who said one has to use a bicycle _every_ day?

The rest just goes off the deep end....

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Head wrote:

> Try 20 miles each way in Virginia today. 100 degrees out there.

I just did 10 in chicago's similiar heat. I could probably do more. I
remember going out for a ride one hot afternoon and noticed nobody was
out. Nobody on the roads or on the bike trails... it was nice. I forget
how many miles I rode, probably 20 or so.... came back home, turned on
the TV and heard about people in the town droping over from the heat at a
little league game... The heat doesn't really bother me that much when I
ride. Now if I am sitting in a lot of traffic, then it gets irritating.

And they'll give you a nice
> attention-getter physique

really? where's mine! ive been riding many years and im still as ugly as
ever!

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> george conklin wrote:
> > "donquijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
> >> our automobiles.

> > Many of us are enslaved to our wives too, but that does not mean we
> > want a divorce. Both are necessary for a normal life.

> Wow. So much wrong in so few words. Brava!

now now. take your pills and be normal!

Welcome to Western New York. 6" of snow isn't worth getting all wound
up about. Happens all the time. Buffalo gets some, but Rochester and
Syracuse get piled on. Figure 10 FEET per year and about 30" per year.
Lot of northern cities gets lots of snow -- and I would guess lots of
cities in the Rockies do to.

The city I live in got just under 100" last year.

6" of snow isn't all the much and drivers know how to handle it. It
doesn't cause gridlock. It doesn't even cause schools to be closed.
Things slow down a bit, but that's a good thing. A 6" storm doesn't
have much effect on an expressway at all unless the snowfall is coming
down hard -- maybe over an inch an hour. That, mixed with wind, can
cause localized whiteouts which are dangerous.

Biking on packed snow -- especially snow over packed snow -- is very
tricky because the tires aren't formulated for it. The rubber is too
hard. Also, at 100 psi, you don't have enough contact with the ground.
So bikes and motorcycles go away when the snow starts.

FYI, snowshoes are about useless with 6" of snow. You really need a
foot or more to make then worth wearing -- and then only if it's virgin
snow. They don't do anything on packed snow.

Brent P wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Pat wrote:
>
> > Oh, did I mention snow storms. I can't imaging a bike on 6" of
> > unplowed snow on a packed snow base when it's -20F and windy. Those
> > car heaters sure come in handy then.

> In an urban environment, if there is 6 inches of snow on the ground you
> have a better chance of getting where you are going with the bicycle or
> with snow shoes for that matter..... Not because there aren't motor
> vehicles that could handle those conditions, but because the roads would
> be stop and stop gridlock with the drivers who cannot.

In article <[email protected]>, Pat wrote:
> Welcome to Western New York. 6" of snow isn't worth getting all wound
> up about. Happens all the time.

But does traffic actually move faster than a bicycle? In chicago it
doesn't when 6 inches is on the ground.

> 6" of snow isn't all the much and drivers know how to handle it. It
> doesn't cause gridlock. It doesn't even cause schools to be closed.

It doesn't cause schools to be closed here either... but there are more
than enough morons and transplants driving to screw up the roads big
time. I don't have a problem driving in snow, I have a problem driving
around in snow with other people.

> Biking on packed snow -- especially snow over packed snow -- is very
> tricky because the tires aren't formulated for it. The rubber is too
> hard. Also, at 100 psi, you don't have enough contact with the ground.
> So bikes and motorcycles go away when the snow starts.

I've ridden on ice BTW.... I ride in snow at least once a year. It's a
bit a tricky... the bad thing is the brakes becoming useless with the
snow/water/ice on the rims.

> FYI, snowshoes are about useless with 6" of snow. You really need a
> foot or more to make then worth wearing -- and then only if it's virgin
> snow. They don't do anything on packed snow.

The person I was replying too said fresh 6" on top of snow already there.

Dave Head wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2006 15:14:50 -0700, "Arif Khokar" <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>> Are you saying you can only average 6 to 7 mph on a bike? I'm not very
>> fast, but I can average 15 mph on a bike. That means I can make the
>> commute in about 80 minutes give or take.

> Try 20 miles each way in Virginia today. 100 degrees out there.

It was 90 degrees here, but I still rode 25 miles. I'd ride further,
but I really don't have the time on weekdays.

> And maybe an expensive ride to the emergency room for heat exhaustion.

I just keep up with fluid intake.

Brent P wrote:
> The heat doesn't really bother me that much when I
> ride. Now if I am sitting in a lot of traffic, then it gets irritating.

I only really start to notice it if I'm stopped, or slowly going uphill
(much more so for the latter).

"greggery peccary" <.@.> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> george conklin wrote:
>> > "donquijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Many of us are enslaved to our wives too, but that does not mean we
>> > want a divorce. Both are necessary for a normal life.

>> Wow. So much wrong in so few words. Brava!
>>

> now now. take your pills and be normal!

I can only be Abbe Normal . . . .

Charles of Schaumburg

"Arif Khokar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave Head wrote:
>> On 17 Jul 2006 15:14:50 -0700, "Arif Khokar" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> Are you saying you can only average 6 to 7 mph on a bike? I'm not very
>>> fast, but I can average 15 mph on a bike. That means I can make the
>>> commute in about 80 minutes give or take.

>> Try 20 miles each way in Virginia today. 100 degrees out there.

> It was 90 degrees here, but I still rode 25 miles. I'd ride further, but
> I really don't have the time on weekdays.
>
>> And maybe an expensive ride to the emergency room for heat exhaustion.

> I just keep up with fluid intake.

My bike has an IV drip attachment for days like today. Mainline Gatorade
and you're good to go.

brink

1500 miles per gallon @ $3 per gallon of gasoline vs 20 mile charge
cost 5 cents.
Electric bikes typically travel at speeds of 10 to 20+ miles per hour
and go up to 12-20 miles charge. Charging your electric bike for four
to six hours uses 5 cents worth of electricity from common 110 wall
outlets. The electric bike power can give you a break from pedaling or
supply more power when you're going up hill.
http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/bike_to_work.htm

donquijote1954 wrote:
> "Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
> our automobiles. There is help, you can Divorce Your Car, if you are so
> bold. Heck, you could save $30,000 over the next five years ($6000 per
> year)."
>
> Yep, just like you deserve to be free from a bad marriage (tell me
> about it), you deserve to be free from the enslavement of the
> automibile. Well, then you can get into a hot romance with a red (or
> whatever color you like) bike or recumbent. They are simply cool as
> well as more troublefree and cheaper. And they'll give you a nice
> attention-getter physique wich is bound to end in a torrid affair
> (unlike an SUV with tinted windows meant to hide a short fat man).
>
> Anyway, whatever your reasons, don't tell you wife... ;)
>

> Cars: True Cost of Ownership
>
> Gasoline is $3.11 per gallon in Port Townsend this week (unleaded
> plus). Some feel this is expensive, but gas prices in the USA are cheap
> compared to the rest of the world where upwards of $6 per gallon is
> more the norm. If your car gets 20 mpg, you currently have to pay
> $2300+ for a years (15K miles) worth of gas (per car) - such a deal.
>
> http://ptslacker.blogspot.com/2006/04/cars-true-cost-of-ownership.html
>
> WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
> http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
>
> COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE
> http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1
>
> BIKE FOR PEACE
> http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

I am looking at my 2002 Taurus, I have not driven in months now - cost
used $8995 plus 8.5 sales tax, insurance before I dive it $1600 year,
taxes $300, state sticker $156, inspection sticker $36, tires $400,
battery $90, gas if I drove it 3000 miles $442.50, oil change $39...fix
parking lot dents / repaint $650 ... and the depreciation of initial
car cost.

Ebike motor $500 - bike $150 .. changed to better tires $18, lights $28
- air conditioning included free - ok I am cheap - would rather have
the 12K I spent on car in my pocket.
ebike does 30 MPH so does the Taurus after I put gas in it.